Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question for Conservatives:

59 posts in this topic

Posted

IMO, torture should be a last resort, but I am unwilling to forbid it completely. If they think he is serious about it, and really does have relevant information, then I would torture and suffer whatever consequences the legal authorities might deem fit. Of course the situations were it might actually do some good are extremely rare.

How does one define torture?

Pulling fingernails? I think we'd all say yes.

Waterboarding? We do that to Navy Seals.

Punching a suspect over and over again?

Posted

IMO, torture should be a last resort, but I am unwilling to forbid it completely. If they think he is serious about it, and really does have relevant information, then I would torture and suffer whatever consequences the legal authorities might deem fit. Of course the situations were it might actually do some good are extremely rare.

That's like saying you don't like the idea of your wife sleeping with other people, but you'd hate to disallow her from doing it (in general. I know little to nothing about your wife).

You either don't allow torture or you do. There is no gray area.

Posted

That's like saying you don't like the idea of your wife sleeping with other people, but you'd hate to disallow her from doing it (in general. I know little to nothing about your wife). .

No, its nothing like that, not even a little bit. Torture is like War. It sucks, you hate to do it, because it causes a lot of pain, but there are occasions when it might be a necessary evil.

You either don't allow torture or you do. There is no gray area.

I thought only religious conservatives and siths deal in absolutes? IMO, there are plenty of gray areas in many things.

Posted

I got news for you. Happens all the time. Cops beat the poo out of someone if they know they have information that can save an innocent person's life.

Besides that being a pretty rotten comparison, what you're describing is also illegal.

Should we change the laws to let them both be legal?

Posted

Besides that being a pretty rotten comparison, what you're describing is also illegal.

Should we change the laws to let them both be legal?

It is not a rotten comparison. It's dead on.

Do you stop at every stop sign, even when no one's around? Sometimes people see a bigger picture...like innocent lives at stake...and they make individual decisions to go past what the law allows. I'm fine with that when terrorists are involved.

Posted

And American citizens, too, evidently. And you're okay with it being done illegally.

Posted

And American citizens, too, evidently. And you're okay with it being done illegally.

If he's a terrorist, you're damn right I am. Anyone willing to kill innocent people to make some political point doesn't value human life and I'm fine with not giving them human rights. They don't play by any rules.

Posted

Then make torture legal and extend it to all American citizens. People would love that.

Posted

Next up:

"Well if that guy robbed my house, and he may know who will rob my neighbors house, I'm all for torturing him!"

Posted

what about school shootings? What if it's a minor? Anybody up for torturing 16 year old american citizens?

Posted

Yeah, he may know who will shoot my kid!!!

Forget installing a diving board in the schools swimming pool, federally fund waterboards!

Posted

mofmoney.gif