• Please log in to reply
175 replies to this topic

#91 panther4life

panther4life

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:28 PM

He can only void the base salary and any workout bonuses, roster bonus,etc. Any cap hit from a signing bonus will still take its toll.

Which he quite obviously going to since the base is only 1 million.

#92 44johnson

44johnson

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:29 PM

At times like this, I wish I had paid more attention to the threads explaining "cap"...anyway, I take it this is GOOD NEWS!

#93 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,817 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:31 PM

Happy he's done this now, but why not several weeks ago? Could have picked up Sean Smith, Michael Huff, or another decent FAs. This was the one year FA contracts weren't completely out of hand at the positions we needed, now most are gone.

probably because this doesn't actually work out in his favor and it took a lot more work to make it happen.

the important thing is that it got worked out and we probably wouldn't have picked up those guys anyway.

#94 rayzor

rayzor

• Moderators
  • -29,817 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:31 PM

Start working on that Hardy extension.

nah. much more important stuff to do.

#95 YoungPanthers89

YoungPanthers89

Lucy Snorebush

• HUDDLER
  • 10,799 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:33 PM

@SteveReedAP

Details on OT Jordan Gross' new deal. He will make $5.5 million this year and the contract automatically voids out after this season.

@SteveReedAP
Gross was set to have a salary cap hit of $11.7 million this year, so this is a fairly significant pay cut. He'll become free agent in '14.

#96 Mvp2014

Mvp2014

Phenom

• HUDDLER
  • 3,574 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:37 PM

Playoffs may be upon us.

Nice work Gett and Gross

#97 panther4life

panther4life

• HUDDLER
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:37 PM

And then there's this from Yas The Carolina Panthers have restructured the contract of left tackle Jordan Gross and given the veteran left tackle a three-year contract extension.

"According to numbers obtained by ESPN.com, Gross’s contract, which had been set to expire after the 2014 season, now runs through 2017. Gross was given a $4.5 million signing bonus to make up for a cut from $8.7 million to $1 million in base salary this year.

The restructure drops Gross’ salary-cap figure for this year from $11.7 million to $4.9 million.

The new deal also drops Gross’ 2014 cap figure from $10.7 million to $5.9 million.

In each year from 2014 through 2017, Gross will earn $1 million in base salary and he’s scheduled to receive a $2 million roster bonus in 2014. His cap figure is $1.9 million for each of the final three years of the deal.

Gross always has been known as a team player. This deal only enhances that reputation as Gross is helping the Panthers get out of cap trouble now and in the future."

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth

#98 rayzor

rayzor

• Moderators
  • -29,817 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:38 PM

Though his base salary goes to $1 million for 2013, Gross will still receive a salary of $5.5 million, according to former player agent Joel Corry. Gross is the second-longest tenured Panther in the locker room and holds the franchise record for most career starts with the team (151).

The Panthers were between $1 to $2 million under the cap before Gross took his cut. The move takes Gross' cap figure for 2013 from $11.7 million to $4 million and gives the Panthers nearly $7 million more in cap room.
http://blogs.charlot..._medium=twitter
---------------------------------------------
soo we now have $7mil in cap room?

looks like we're not done in FA after all. OL and maybe DT coming up.

#99 Udogg

Udogg

Cardiac Victim since 95

• HUDDLER
  • 3,161 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:40 PM

Think it gives us closer to 8-9 million room all together.

#100 RevJ

RevJ

Huddle Chaplain

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • LocationTriad

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:41 PM

i bet joe person knows nothing about this yet

Give Joe person a break. He's chasing a breaking story that the Panthers might try to get some public money to remodel the stadium.

#101 SmashNDash

SmashNDash

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:42 PM

I'm confused, some articles are saying his contract is done after this year, and now this one is saying it's a 3 year extension, which is it? If it's extension with him paid 5.5 this year and 1.9 the next 3, Gettlemagic.

#102 CPF4LIFE

CPF4LIFE

• HUDDLER
  • 4,565 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:44 PM

nah. much more important stuff to do.

Yeah, but this is a good start

#103 Fan01

Fan01

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:45 PM

Gross is a standup guy but this wasn't a favor he was doing for us. It was a business decision that was best for him and the team.

Gross took a paycut because he wants to stay with the Panthers and would not get more money on the open market. It's that simple.

I too am very happy with Gettleman and how he's handled the Cap and player decisions.

#104 Kuech the Sneak

Kuech the Sneak

• HUDDLER
  • 4,492 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:45 PM

Lets sign a couple veterans now, branch and an OG then BPA in the draft!!!!!

#105 Craigslist Killer

Craigslist Killer

I love me some hookers

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:47 PM

With all this savings we should have enough money to build a statue of him.........The plaque would read The Ultimate Team Player .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.