70 replies to this topic

#46 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,895 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 05:44 PM

I don't agree with every thing rep and don't disagree with everything dem.

I never have voted straight ticket. I think any rational, open minded person would have a harder time voting for one party only.

If the Huddle is a credible microcosm, "rational, open minded" voters might make up less than 10%. Just sayin....

#47 GOOGLE RON PAUL

GOOGLE RON PAUL

fleet-footed poster

• HUDDLER
  • 4,188 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:23 AM

hey pstall just whenever you get around to it can you please list the actual benefits of eliminating straight ticket voting? perhaps this time without going off on a dumb tangent about how it will make the voter base "more informed" somehow (it won't)?

#48 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 20,990 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:58 AM

So by saying it won't make someone more informed you concede straight ticket voters don't know who or what they are voting for?

#49 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,348 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 04:06 PM

They would hit everything with R or D on it. Instead of one button that says R or D. Yes, let's get this out there instead of job creation ideas or anything else.

#50 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 20,990 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 02 April 2013 - 04:16 PM

I know right. This is the only thing on my plate right now. Next you guys are gonna want me to drive and listen to the radio. At the SAME time.

#51 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 10,895 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 04:17 PM

The name recognition signs on each corner and intersection might triple

#52 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 18,970 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 02 April 2013 - 04:50 PM

They would hit everything with R or D on it. Instead of one button that says R or D. Yes, let's get this out there instead of job creation ideas or anything else.

How about not putting R nor D next to the candidates?

God forbid that someone actually know who a candidate is or what they actually stand for before voting for them.....and this goes for those in BOTH parties.

#53 SZ James (banned)

SZ James (banned)

• HUDDLER
  • 7,929 posts
  • Locationfresh out the grave

Posted 02 April 2013 - 05:39 PM

God forbid that someone actually know who a candidate is or what they actually stand for before voting for them.....and this goes for those in BOTH parties.

then the first name listed would win every time

#54 PhillyB

PhillyB

that jungle football

• ALL-PRO
  • 20,548 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:25 PM

this is a fascinating idea.

#55 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 20,990 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:41 PM

I have said for years that whether it be in newspapers or on the news, don't use the R or D beside anyones name. Some people the moment they see one of those letters they instantly tune them out.

People would be very surprised to find out who they agree or disagree with.

#56 GOOGLE RON PAUL

GOOGLE RON PAUL

fleet-footed poster

• HUDDLER
  • 4,188 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:56 PM

So by saying it won't make someone more informed you concede straight ticket voters don't know who or what they are voting for?

straight ticket voters aren't any less informed than say, the guy (let's call him pstall) who votes 75% republican and 25% democratic because *feelings*

#57 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • 16,530 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:00 PM

then the first name listed would win every time

you probably aren't serious but they could just randomize order of names on each ballot so the person at the top of one ballot won't always be the same, at least on computerized ballots :P

#58 GOOGLE RON PAUL

GOOGLE RON PAUL

fleet-footed poster

• HUDDLER
  • 4,188 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:04 PM

i say if we really want informed voters we should quiz them when they arrive at the polling station

call it some sort of poll test. perhaps a literacy test.

#59 SZ James (banned)

SZ James (banned)

• HUDDLER
  • 7,929 posts
  • Locationfresh out the grave

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:06 PM

you probably aren't serious but they could just randomize order of names on each ballot so the person at the top of one ballot won't always be the same, at least on computerized ballots :P

there is a bias when it comes to the first name listed. They wouldn't win every time but still

If the intent is to make people research their candidates, then you haven't fixed anything. You'll just have people voting on other stupid random factors like names and whatnot.

#60 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • 16,530 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:10 PM

yeah I don't think that you're going to force people to research candidates any better no matter what you do inside the voting booth either, just saying that the person "listed at the top" wouldn't win all the time if we were talking about electronic voting anyway.

only real way to make people do more research would be to find a way to get more people personally invested in the process. a lot of people are straight ticket voters, sure, and maybe they're "the problem", but I think the problem is more that the system has alienated a fairly large number of people into thinking the individual they are voting for doesn't matter as much as the party. at least on the national scale =|

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com