Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

We are in some serious trouble.

53 posts in this topic

Posted

i figured that was a player, not team option. Id like for us, if we have a winning season, to go ahead and lock it up long term after this year.

Heh no, players don't get a "player option for a 5th year". It's a team option, I think the 5th year would be something like the average of the top 10 QB annual salaries or something like that, aka a poor man's franchise tag that isn't called a franchise tag.

Posted

This is about to be a serious domino effect

The qb bubble

Posted

Hes 23 now. Next year (the last year of his deal) he'll be 24. two years max on tag puts him at 26 how is that about 30. Wtf are you talking about?

His birthday is in May so he will be 24 by the start of his 3rd year. We have an option for a 5th year (which we will most certainly take if we don't reach an extension) on his rookie deal. That would put him at age 25 in year 4 and 26 in year 5.

There is no "max" on the number of times a certain player can be franchised. The amount of the tag increases with each consecutive year that the player has been tagged but you can continue to tag them as long as you want.

Year 1 of the franchise tag - Cam will be 27

Year 2 of the franchise tag (at a price of 120% of the previous year) - Cam will be 28

Year 3 of the franchise tag (at a price of 140% of the previous year) - Cam will be 29

Year 4 on the tag would be something like 160% of the previous year value, which would almost certainly be too high of a price to pay for any player that will be 30 years old when the season starts.

Posted

or he can hold out and demand a trade. Or play just to get his. or miss a game every other week due to injury(?). Those ankle and shoulder sprains can be chronic, you know. Tagged players who wants out don't play through injuries, their prior performance speaks for itself. They're just trying to get out. Lol

Those franchise tagging also cost; it would also cost the panthers at least 18-20mil per tag(average of top 5 QBs). 20mil to a player missing 6-8 games? Don't think so.

The last thing a franchise need is a disgruntled superstar QB. A disgruntled QB is not gonna win you your super bowl for you. Remember Carson Palmer?

If he refuses to sign the tag, then he doesn't get paid.

If he holds out, then he gets fined.

If he constantly misses games due to injury, then he won't get the big money deal that he wants on the free market.

If he becomes a distraction in the locker room, then he risks becoming the TO of QB's and teams will be afraid to bring him in on a long term deal.

As for the price, that's what top QB are making nowadays. It's what will we have to pay to sign him long term too.

Posted

if he is a franchise QB why would you allow him to walk at 30?

Posted

if he is a franchise QB why would you allow him to walk at 30?

By this point in time, it would be his 4th franchise tag. That tag would have an astronomical, team crippling value. If he hasn't agreed to an extension by this point, he probably hasn't won a Super Bowl. Division championships are probably few and far between as well.

If he does win a Super Bowl or multiple division championships then JR hands him a blank check and we aren't talking about this.

Posted

By this point in time, it would be his 4th franchise tag. That tag would have an astronomical, team crippling value. If he hasn't agreed to an extension by this point, he probably hasn't won a Super Bowl. Division championships are probably few and far between as well.

If he does win a Super Bowl or multiple division championships then JR hands him a blank check and we aren't talking about this.

and Romo hasnt done those things, but yet is considered a franchise QB (paid like one). you do not let franchise guys walk for nothing, especially a QB. this team already did that with another player.

Posted

Only after we've taken the 5th year option on his rookie deal and placed the franchise tag on him for about 3 years or so. At this point he will be 30 years old...

Sure, just a couple small issues... the Panthers would be complete morons to sit back and wait until 2014 to exercise that option because talk already is that Gettelman will start looking at a new deal this coming season. Wait until that last year to exercise the option and the damage will have been done and Cam simply holds out.

The other thing is.... franchise tag. Sure, how'd that work out when Carolina tagged Peppers? Paid him a ton for relative non-productivity.

Good luck with your theory, though. My guess is Cam has a new deal this year or before the start of the 2014 season, otherwise he's outta Charlotte.

Posted

and Romo hasnt done those things, but yet is considered a franchise QB (paid like one). you do not let franchise guys walk for nothing, especially a QB. this team already did that with another player.

Sure, just a couple small issues... the Panthers would be complete morons to sit back and wait until 2014 to exercise that option because talk already is that Gettelman will start looking at a new deal this coming season. Wait until that last year to exercise the option and the damage will have been done and Cam simply holds out.

The other thing is.... franchise tag. Sure, how'd that work out when Carolina tagged Peppers? Paid him a ton for relative non-productivity.

Good luck with your theory, though. My guess is Cam has a new deal this year or before the start of the 2014 season, otherwise he's outta Charlotte.

Obviously, my scenario is contingent on the inability for team to reach an agreement to a contract extension with Cam. My comments were directed at everyone that believes Cam will do everything in his power to get the hell out of Carolina as soon as his rookie deal is up.

Posted

There is no point to worry about things like this right now. Lets not put the cart before the horse. I just want to see us win. Contracts and things of that nature means nothing to me. That's for the front office. One thing I don't get is why people are afraid of cam leaving. He never mention that at all. If he wants to leave, what's the point of trying to force him to say? I want players on this team that wants to play for the Panthers, if not let them walk.

That being said, I think he will stay :)

Posted

Uuuh, superbowl QB's get 20 mil a year. Cam should get paid 13-15 mil a year.

Posted

Also, Tony Romo is Tony Romo. Cam Newton is Cam fugging Newton!