g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,770 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:12 PM

A BILL TO BE ENTITLED
AN ACT TO PROVIDE THAT IF A CHILD REGISTERS TO VOTE AT AN ADDRESS
OTHER THAN THAT OF A PARENT, THAT PARENT MAY NOT CLAIM A PERSONAL EXEMPTION ON ACCOUNT OF SUCH CHILD, AND TO INFORM NEW VOTERS OF THEIR CIVIC AND TAX DUTIES.

If the child simply doesn't not register to vote at the school address and maintains it at home...there's no problem IF the exemption is what is desired. If the kid/adult is on their own...they change their address to the new one....they register to vote at the new address, then why should a parent be allowed to claim them as a personal exemption. You either are or are not a depedent to your parents.

#32 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,770 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:14 PM

Used to be as long as you had a NC address for a solid year, you could be considered a resident to get instate tuition. Talking to relatives who's daughter is looking at Virginia, Wake Forest, Duke, NC...and they moved to Georgia...a child cannot claim instate UNTIL they not only have a year of residency but can prove self-reliance through a job and paying for the housing/etc without subsidization from the parents.

#33 mav1234

mav1234

• ALL-PRO
  • 16,768 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:15 PM

Why is it a problem if a voter is attending college, is a resident of another address, but is still dependent on a parent for support? What problem exactly is this law attempting to address?

#34 mav1234

mav1234

• ALL-PRO
  • 16,768 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:17 PM

Used to be as long as you had a NC address for a solid year, you could be considered a resident to get instate tuition. Talking to relatives who's daughter is looking at Virginia, Wake Forest, Duke, NC...and they moved to Georgia...a child cannot claim instate UNTIL they not only have a year of residency but can prove self-reliance through a job and paying for the housing/etc without subsidization from the parents.

Is your suggestion that a similar situation be adopted for elections?

#35 The_Light_Brigade

The_Light_Brigade

And sink to the bottom with the submarines.

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts
  • LocationOut in God's country.

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:18 PM

Why is it a problem if a voter is attending college, is a resident of another address, but is still dependent on a parent for support? What problem exactly is this law attempting to address?

This is my question. How the hell do they come up with this poo?

#36 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,735 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:20 PM

If the child simply doesn't not register to vote at the school address and maintains it at home...there's no problem IF the exemption is what is desired. If the kid/adult is on their own...they change their address to the new one....they register to vote at the new address, then why should a parent be allowed to claim them as a personal exemption. You either are or are not a depedent to your parents.

So you're telling me that you're cool with thousands of students voting in local elections in areas that they don't truly reside? Or conversely restricting them from voting in local elections for the area that they do ACTUALLY reside in?

#37 Gazi

Gazi

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 7,831 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:24 PM

So you're telling me that you're cool with thousands of students voting in local elections in areas that they don't truly reside? Or conversely restricting them from voting in local elections for the area that they do ACTUALLY reside in?

IActive duty personnel can register to vote in areas they reside in that they would never actually consider home. Then move to another area and register there. What's the difference?

#38 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,770 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:25 PM

Take Suzy Student. She lives in Wilmington. Her voting registration/interests lie in Wilmington. She is claimed as a tax exempt student by her parents in Wilmington.

She moves to Charlotte to go to school. She decides to register to vote (maybe for the first time) at Charlotte, but put her current address. Her parents are getting a tax credit for her for her area, Wilmington...but she's choosing her representation in a different area. Wilmington is giving up tax monies for an individual that's residing somewhere else. All hypothetical.

Representation without taxation is just as bad as taxation without representation.

By registering to vote in the new location, they are saying they truly reside there and are wanting to vote on laws/representatives for that area.

#39 Gazi

Gazi

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 7,831 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:29 PM

And yes I can see where the issue is regarding tax credit status. Still, tired of all these little cheap tricks that take up their time instead of tackling bigger issues. God forbid

#40 Gazi

Gazi

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 7,831 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:30 PM

Representation without taxation is just as bad as taxation without representation.

You might actually swing people like me to your side using this argument.

#41 SZ James (banned)

SZ James (banned)

The loud atheist minority drummed Tim Tevo out of the NFL.

• HUDDLER
  • 8,273 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:43 PM

I just had a novel idea

What if we had a tax that would be a prerequisite in order to vote. What should we call this newfangled idea, tinderbox?

#42 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,770 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:47 PM

No one's taxing the voter.

#43 thefuzz

thefuzz

coppin a feel

• ALL-PRO
  • 8,718 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:10 PM

I just had a novel idea

What if we had a tax that would be a prerequisite in order to vote. What should we call this newfangled idea, tinderbox?

What if we just didn't have income tax?

#44 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,774 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:16 PM

I was all set to come home and post about this, and wait for G5 and friends incredibly dumb responses, but hey all the work has been done for me, so thanks

#45 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 24,335 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:34 PM

You're welcome

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com