50 replies to this topic

#1 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,529 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:45 PM

Obama's administration being overruled.

In a ruling released Thursday, U.S. District Court Judge Edward Korman directed the FDA to make levonorgestrel-based contraceptives available over the counter, and without a prescription. The ruling overturns a 2011 decision by Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebeliusrequiring that girls under age 17 obtain a prescription for thePlan B One-Step contraceptive or its equivalents

In his strongly worded ruling, Korman called Sebelius' decision “politically motivated, scientifically unjustified and contrary to agency precedent.” No serious health risks have been associated with the drug’s use among adults and children, Korman wrote, and even the FDA acknowledged that the drug’s “safety and efficacy in the pediatric population have been established.”

http://www.latimes.c...0,7950239.story

#2 Cat

Cat

Terminally bored

• HUDDLER
  • 8,747 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:49 PM

A federal court judge has ordered the U.S. Food and Drug Administration to lift controversial restrictions on the so-called morning-after pill, saying females of all ages should have unimpeded access to emergency birth control.

Good

#3 Jase

Jase

Kuechold Fantasies

• Administrators
  • 17,101 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:50 PM

yeah, I don't really understand what political motivation the health department had to mandate this in the first place.

Can somebody explain it to me?

#4 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 20,978 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 05 April 2013 - 04:28 PM

Wouldn't a night before pill be better? Or a are you sure you want to really sleep with this person app?

#5 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,330 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 05:32 PM

everything else would be better. That's kind of why they call it "Plan B".

#6 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 18,964 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 05 April 2013 - 05:37 PM

I imagine the initial law was aimed at making sure that parent's of kids under 17 were made aware. As a parent, I would want to know.

#7 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,330 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 05:43 PM

Now that I have kids and stepkids ranging from 33 to 7, I realize that if they are having sex, they are old enough to decide whether or not to tell me. And ANYTHING that would prevent a pregnancy when they are young, I'll take it. If my daughter found herself in this situation for whatever reason, and needed a prescription to get this thing, she might have decided against it only to have to get an abortion, or have the baby, later. If there is indeed no harm to my kid, make it available so we have less unwanted children and less young kids raising kids. It's a no brainer.

#8 Kevin Greene

Kevin Greene

_RUN FOZZY RUN_

• HUDDLER
  • 17,338 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:33 PM

A morning after pill that kills a cell as it splits I can live with.
Shredding a fetus at 4 months.........

Maybe I'm crazy.

#9 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • 16,529 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:37 PM

You have a right to your opinion. I don't think that your opinion is crazy. What I do find crazy is if you were to force your opinion on others, which I have no idea if you do.

#10 lightsout

lightsout

Doin' stuff...thaaaangs

• HUDDLER
  • 5,704 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 02:38 AM

A morning after pill that kills a cell as it splits I can live with.
Shredding a fetus at 4 months.........

Maybe I'm crazy.

I would move that we ONLY shred fetuses at 4 months from this moment forward. With a broadsword. No pill, only a swift swipe of a blade as the clump is cut cleanly.

I jest. In all seriousness, this is a good thing. At first I was sort of on the fence, because I tried to put myself in the "parental shoes" of others and thought, "I would like to know". However, if my child is having sex, odds are, I won't know about it (my mother didn't). If they can have sex without my knowing, they can surely buy the pill. And even if I found out, I would applaud their responsible decision that I can only assume they made on their on will for what they wanted, which, ultimately is what adulthood is all about. Just as no government has a right to regulate the body of a woman, no parent has the right to force their child through a pregnancy if they deem it a mistake that they wish to rid themselves of, so why should they know other than simply wanting to know? Surely, I would want to know, but I would have no right to pry that personal information out of my child, and I would hope that I have done a good enough job as a parent that they trust me enough to come to me with that sort of information of their own will.

#11 Murph

Murph

Joe Cool

• HUDDLER
  • 3,900 posts
  • LocationRound about here

Posted 06 April 2013 - 08:25 AM

Well I'm sure this bitch is happy with the ruling

#12 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 20,978 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 06 April 2013 - 01:11 PM

Seems like it incentives reckless behavior. They are responible enough to go get the pill but not responible for protection the day before?

Imagine if banks used their money for overdraft protection instead of your own funds. Overdrafts would go through the roof.
I get why you want the pill to try to right a potential wrong. It does nothing for behavior to avoid putting ones self in a tough spot.
As a father to 2 girls my job is not easy. Ideally I would want them to wait till they are married and avoid the guilt and heartache not to mention a host of STD'S. Many think that's impossible or unrealistic but maybe that's why so many teens are in major jams. If the adults around them have given up on having some ideals and patience and prioritize they why should they?

#13 PhillyB

PhillyB

that jungle football

• ALL-PRO
  • 20,521 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 06 April 2013 - 01:45 PM

Seems like it incentives reckless behavior. They are responible enough to go get the pill but not responible for protection the day before?

existence of seatbelts incentives reckless driving
allowing banks to give loans incentives debt
legalizing parachutes incentives risky flying

etc.

#14 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • 16,529 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 01:53 PM

This doesn't make any sense to me... I don't think the morning after pill is supplied for free at pharmacies now, unless I'm missing something.

#15 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,559 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 02:02 PM

Imagine if banks used their money for overdraft protection instead of your own funds. Overdrafts would go through the roof.

Or if banks were allowed to use our money to recklessly gamble on the housing market...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com