Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Next Xbox to require always on internet connection?

57 posts in this topic

Posted

<- has never played a second of Xbox anything...

<- doesn't plan to start

I have, however, used the poo out of Windows' buggy OSs throughout history and am totally amazed at how secure they are, and impressed with the dent they've put on the piracy market... lol

Posted

If you want a good example of how this is going to work just look at the indie games section on XBL. For all of the indie games you have to be connected to live in order to play them. If you don't have internet a screen pops up saying that you aren't allowed to play the game, even if it is a one player game. Microsoft has also been known to completely block some of those games after you've bought them, effectively fuging you out of your money. Also, whenever microsoft stops supporting the 360 all of those games are going to be completely worthless. That's really no big deal for the indie games that cost $1 a piece but it's going to become a HUGE deal when we have to start paying $60 or more for a game that is eventually not even going to be ours anymore.

They're basically setting up a long term rental system which I am not going to support since I prefer to actually own the things I purchase.

Posted

I think if they are going to force this onto people, and kill the used game market, they should lower the price of games from $60 to maybe $40. However, they'll probably start them at $70 now. I haven't played console really in over a year, as I'm mainly went back to PC gaming almost 100%, and I'm so glad I did.

Posted

I think if they are going to force this onto people, and kill the used game market, they should lower the price of games from $60 to maybe $40. However, they'll probably start them at $70 now. I haven't played console really in over a year, as I'm mainly went back to PC gaming almost 100%, and I'm so glad I did.

If there are no more physical disks, then they could save a ton on production and distribution costs. No CDs, no boxes, no shipping, not paying a graphic artist to design box art for goodness sake! With a totally electronic distribution methodology, Microsoft could save millions, and pass the savings on to us the consumer in the form of cheap new games!

They won't, though.

Posted

Haha oh yeah. I wish. I may have a LITTLE faith in that if this whole thing wasn't started because publishers are mad that THEY themselves can't "double dip" on a game. It was already sold for full price/sales price before, they are just greedy and I guess $60 isn't enough. Everything should be cheaper if it's a download, it makes complete sense. Sadly, company's don't do this, minus a few.

Posted

Isn't the PS4 rumoured to be doing the no resale value thing as well?

WiiU it is!

Posted

Isn't the PS4 rumoured to be doing the no resale value thing as well?

WiiU it is!

Nope!

http://www.cbsnews.c...opers-on-board/

In an interview with the video game blog Eurogamer, Sony Worldwide Studio president Shuhei Yoshida says that the PS4 will not block second-hand games.

"That's the general expectation by consumers," Yoshida told Eurogamer. "They purchase physical form; they want to use it everywhere, right? So that's my expectation."

Yoshida added: "So, used games can play on PS4. How is that?"

Posted

Meh I don't think a President would say something as definitive as that if he wasn't stating a fact. As the article suggests, I think they just didn't want to reveal the info until M$ stated one way or the other....

Posted

What does "M$" have to do with their announcement? Are they not sure what their own console does?

Posted

What does "M$" have to do with their announcement? Are they not sure what their own console does?

If M$ announces they aren't allowing used games, and then Sony comes out after and makes a big deal about caring for the consumer and allowing used games it's a huge shot at M$. Would put them as the console to own in a lot of peoples minds....

Posted

so what will the spin be when all of the major developers move to the xbox?