327 replies to this topic

#241 BelgianPantherFan

BelgianPantherFan

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:00 AM

Yes because all of the DTS expected to be on the board at 14 are slam dunks there.....smh.....

Not because of that, but:
1) DT is a larger need
2) deep WR class, I'm quite sure we should be able to snag a playmaker with our 2nd pick

#242 Ship

Ship

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:33 AM

Even though I know you guys are making an extreme counterpoint about Jarrett and Allen as opposed to Allen/Rice being the same size and speed and etc., there is so much more to compare players by. Allen is most definitely nothing like Jarrett off field. Allen has great work ethic, probably a more humble quieter person than Jarrett was, and can be a leader. Last night when I was listening to all the stuff about Allen's pro day another name was brought up for comparison: Cris Carter. I also really don't think you can put Allen's injury in the same ball park as a lot of other red flag guys with knee injuries in college. The fact that his tear didn't require surgery is a big difference for me. Also the fact that the knee itself has checked out at 100% while he continues to gain strength back in the rest of the leg sounds perfectly fine. Allen's gonna be a great pro, especially if he has Cam throwing him the ball.

At the same time I keep having an itch that it'll be Hopkins. Either way I fully expect one of them to be on our team and tearing it up next season. With Cam going into year 3, having Smith, Olsen, and to an extent LaFell or Hixon out on the field in any combination with a high round WR, I think we'll be spreading out defenses like crazy this year. As long as the rookie isn't a complete bust, he should have a great season. We're in a great place for a rookie to come in and get some quality confidence reps while he prepares to turn into 'the guy'.

#243 C47

C47

89...Panther for Life...

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,313 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:53 AM

Not because of that, but:
1) DT is a larger need
2) deep WR class, I'm quite sure we should be able to snag a playmaker with our 2nd pick

DT is also pretty deep. Jenkins, B. Williams, S. Williams, Short all will be good players out of the second round. At this point the two guys I want the most are Allen or Cyprien.

#244 weymouthst

weymouthst

#1 zero

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,041 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 10 April 2013 - 05:17 PM

I know I would really like to see Allen taken at 14, but I just don't see it now. If Patterson or Austin fell to us I am positive we would pull the trigger. But we have been on a decent trend of hitting in the first round. Allen isn't exactly a guaranteed producer. There are some question marks there, with the injury and speed.

If he fell to the 2nd round I am positive we would take him. But in the first round, looks like we could get a more reliable impact player at DT, safety, or OL if Patterson and Austin are gone.

#245 surfergurl666

surfergurl666

NOT NEWB

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:08 PM

God please don't let the Panthers draft Allen. I want absolutely nothing to do with him.

Braylon Edwards 2.0

#246 C47

C47

89...Panther for Life...

• HUDDLER
  • 12,313 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:17 PM

God please don't let the Panthers draft Allen. I want absolutely nothing to do with him.

Braylon Edwards 2.0

Is it still all about Da U bwood?? :lol:

#247 surfergurl666

surfergurl666

NOT NEWB

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:19 PM

Is it still all about Da U bwood?? :lol:

It's all about USC basketball.

Wait..

#248 C47

C47

89...Panther for Life...

• HUDDLER
  • 12,313 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:21 PM

I never claimed it was though. That's the difference. I know USC Basketball is struggling, though Enfield and the staff he's putting together has it moving in the right direction.

#249 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 11,506 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:23 PM

4.7 - 4.8 depending on who was timing. Way too many questions to take at 14, especially with the lack of picks we have.

From GBNreport

April 9
(8:00 PM): Cal WR struggles at special pro day ... California WR Keenan Allen finally got a chance to workout for NFL teams at a special pro day earlier today. Unfortunately, scouts probably don't know much more at this hour than they did this morning as Allen, who has been rehabbing from a PCL injury suffered late last year, wasn't all that impressive as he reportedly ran the 40 somewhere in the 4.7-4.8 range. Its hard to know how much that will hurt Allen's draft grade as NFL teams already know he's not a blazer; they also him to get faster as he gets healthier. Still, it makes Allen, who has been considered to be a top 20 prospect, something of a wildcard who could potentially slip deeper into the opening round. .

#250 C47

C47

89...Panther for Life...

• HUDDLER
  • 12,313 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:24 PM

So he wasn't impressive based on his 40 time? /shrug....

#251 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 17,051 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:48 PM

Even though I know you guys are making an extreme counterpoint about Jarrett and Allen as opposed to Allen/Rice being the same size and speed and etc., there is so much more to compare players by. Allen is most definitely nothing like Jarrett off field. Allen has great work ethic, probably a more humble quieter person than Jarrett was, and can be a leader. Last night when I was listening to all the stuff about Allen's pro day another name was brought up for comparison: Cris Carter. I also really don't think you can put Allen's injury in the same ball park as a lot of other red flag guys with knee injuries in college. The fact that his tear didn't require surgery is a big difference for me. Also the fact that the knee itself has checked out at 100% while he continues to gain strength back in the rest of the leg sounds perfectly fine. Allen's gonna be a great pro, especially if he has Cam throwing him the ball.

At the same time I keep having an itch that it'll be Hopkins. Either way I fully expect one of them to be on our team and tearing it up next season. With Cam going into year 3, having Smith, Olsen, and to an extent LaFell or Hixon out on the field in any combination with a high round WR, I think we'll be spreading out defenses like crazy this year. As long as the rookie isn't a complete bust, he should have a great season. We're in a great place for a rookie to come in and get some quality confidence reps while he prepares to turn into 'the guy'.

You are right in saying that bringing up Jarrett was not to say they are the same but to point that making comparisons to him is just as valid, maybe more than comparing him to Jerry Rice.

One of the issues trying to compare players of the 80s to today players beside the obvious change in rules particularly passing the ball, is that a 4.71 40 in 1980 was much more significant than it is now. Player didn't prepare for the combine like they do now and have special coaches just to prepare them to run faster or jump higher or prepare for the chalkboard talks. Players now routine shed weight off their normal playing weight so they can run or jump higher for the combine to show great numbers. Truth is they put the weight on to play and never run that fast again. Running a 4.7 today is much worse than running it in 1980 when players didn't prepare as they do now.

I know that Allen is not 100% but that in itself is a concern. He didn't require surgery so he should have come back quicker than guys who needed surgery, yet I remember Davis reportedly running a straight line speed in the 4.4/4.5 range based on Panther reports 5 months after surgery. Is this guy a slow healer?? Would he be like Otah who took forever to heal and always has issues. I don't know but it gives me enough concerns to not want to pick him at 14. Truth is that he will go to Minnesota who has the 22nd pick and 25th pick and are desperate for receivers. They can take a risk while we can't.

And I really find the statements that he was timed in 4.5 seconds using game film a little homerish. I don't believe that a guy who does not have elite speed would run a 4.5 in pads in a game after juking a defensive back yet with no pads and track spikes can't break 4.7 even at 85%. And honestly if he was not 100% why did he even participate or say he thought he would run a 4.4. What was his wonderlic???

Way too many question marks. Honestly I don't have anything against Allen but want an impact player who is a homerun like Kuechly was last year. Allen is not that at all.

#252 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 11,506 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:58 PM

Could have just as easily been a 4.8, don't want

#253 koolkatluke

koolkatluke

• HUDDLER
  • 7,847 posts
  • LocationNonya

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:36 PM

I have a question and before I get started. I like to say I'm a Allen Fan. I love the kid's game and would have no problems drafting him after a trade down and adding other picks.

My question is what makes Allen that much different then Lafell.

#254 Ken

Ken

Triple Threat

• HUDDLER
  • 3,687 posts
  • Locationnyc

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:52 PM

Holy poo this thread is terrible.

I really hate 40 yard dashes. Hate how so many people use it as a barometer to compare prospects. So lazy and makes me think they never watched game tape or any game live and are just piggy backing on analysts/media views.

If the only problem with Keenan is a slow 40 on a 75% leg strength.... sign me up.

#255 Udogg

Udogg

Cardiac Victim since 95

• HUDDLER
  • 3,494 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:03 PM

I have a question and before I get started. I like to say I'm a Allen Fan. I love the kid's game and would have no problems drafting him after a trade down and adding other picks.

My question is what makes Allen that much different then Lafell.

I think he is much better with the ball in his hands.
Consensus is he runs really good routes (not sure if Lafell is known for his crisp route tree).

Other than that, he doesn't imo bring anything significantly more. That's why I am not really against him more along the lines of I don't think he brings anything significantly better to the equation. Austin, Patterson types would bring the "Oh S#$$" game changing ability with the ball in their hands. I think that type of explosiveness would take our offense to the next level.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com