Photo
- - - - -

Morning After Pill

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
171 replies to this topic

#166 PhillyB

PhillyB

sườn núi phía đông thứ ba của mặt trời

SUPPORTER

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:24 PM

I think the point here is that adopting a culture of overbearing parents that control whatever they do until they are married (or even beyond) isn't ideal, period.

It will lead to more mental health issues than america already has.

i don't know enough about mental health stats and causes to really opine on it honestly, but i think to really gain an understanding you'd have to look at varying cultural factors. certainly you could argue that standard american culture families (i can't think of a better term, i admit that one sucks) suddenly adopting general asian standards of child-rearing would cause major conflict among their peers unless everyone adopted those same standards.

other than that i can't begin to say anything on the topic for certainty, and from the get-go i think a conversation about it would have to differentiate between age groups to come up with anything concrete

#167 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:40 PM

Comments were made in this thread to the effect that teens are going to have sex, and we can't stop them, so we might as will deal with the after effects. I agree that is true in the US, but not as much in some other cultures. I was only suggesting that we should perhaps look at how other cultures do things and not assume that our way is the best way. We don't need to all of a sudden become like China, Japan, or the Philippines, but there are some things that they do better than us. And some things that they do worse. Examing how other cultures do things is not necessarily a bad thing.

Regarding the suicide rates, one of the interesting things about that list is that many of the poorer countries are at the bottom, why the ones at the top are among the wealthier nations. Maybe people in poor nations are to busy surviving to think about killing themselves. :)

Seriously as philly b pointed out, many factors would have to be considered, but it does make me think of something a filipino friend mentioned a few years ago. He stated that americans and filipinos in america tend to work a lot more than filipinos in the philippines. Longer hours, more stress less time with family etc... I imagine the same is true in places like South Korea. That might have something to do with higher suicide rates. Just a guess on my part.

#168 SZ James (banned)

SZ James (banned)

HUDDLER

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:47 PM

poorer countries are just shitholes that have other things to worry about than keeping accurate data

that, and they stigmatize mental health

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/21733151

#169 PhillyB

PhillyB

sườn núi phía đông thứ ba của mặt trời

SUPPORTER

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:08 PM

poorer countries are just shitholes that have other things to worry about than keeping accurate data

that, and they stigmatize mental health

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/21733151

excellent point.

the philippines are interesting because they're the only SEA nation with a christian majority... and as the article mentions suicide is super stigmatized in the catholic church. i wonder how other SEA nations compare when taking into account the depth of religious influence on suicides (does buddhism stigmatize it to the extent the catholic church does? upland animist religions in SEA? islam in insular SEA?)

#170 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

HUDDLER

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:28 PM

poorer countries are just shitholes

I guess you are not planning on working for the state department.

#171 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

HUDDLER

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:29 PM

Even the best parents who are close will not always get the exact details of what's going on. Simply because they are parents

#172 thefuzz

thefuzz

coppin a feel

SUPPORTER

Posted 13 April 2013 - 02:52 PM

I honestly don't think that the pill will do much for the younger teenagers.

18's and up, sure, but not the younger ones.

That said, I don't care what they do with it as long as it's not subsidized by the government.