Photo
* * - - - 5 votes

Is Julius Peppers the greatest player in Panthers history?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
482 replies to this topic

#256 TheRumGone

TheRumGone

mountain man

• ALL-PRO
  • 9,395 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:00 PM

somebody just dug a giant massive humungous fuging hole in the middle of the road and hoped everyone would just not see it and drive right into it en masse

sure enough

I saw it coming but I was bored and can be a pie ***** from time to time, which this thread envokes.

#257 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 25,271 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:03 PM

30.5 is good. Not spectacular, but pretty good.

Even looking at his FF, INTs and blocks, nothing really leaps out at you. Maybe his INTs? He's never been close to Jared Allen as a player, but Peppers is a nice DE.

Peppers is entering his 12th year...he isn't suppose to wow you right now...

Career wise....all his numbers jump out bc he is the only player you find in the mix in all those different aspects.

Allen is a better pass rusher....Peppers the better overal player. Career production backs it

#258 Disinfranchised

Disinfranchised

Disinfranchised

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts
  • LocationStokeridge

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:06 PM

Hell no.

#259 TheRumGone

TheRumGone

mountain man

• ALL-PRO
  • 9,395 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:07 PM

Okay, give your more players that praised Peppers....and all you have is a Jon Beason comment. Which clearly was an immature moment and being caught up in one of Allen's great statistical games.

I find it funny people praise Beason and Smith for that....both where in the wrong.

Ask Charles Johnson about Peppers....

You are that kid in my seminar class who has to disagree regardless. Either because your bored or because you're a douche. Probably both. Lets pick and choose information. The leader of the defense, Beason or the new DE, who is trying to model himself after the best defensive player. Take a personality between Cj or Beason to be a leader. I take Beast everyday and twice on sunday

#260 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 25,271 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:14 PM

You are that kid in my seminar class who has to disagree regardless. Either because your borrd pr because you're a douche. Probably both. Lets pick and choose information. The leader of the defense, Beason or the new DE, who is trying to model himself after the best defensive player. Take personality between Cj or Beason to be a leader. I take Beast everyday and twice on sunday

Name me player that has ever questioned Peppers outside Beason....who quickly apologized. Go back and look at all those who have addressed those who have questioned Peppers. It is a landslide reaction in favor of Peppers.

There are some posters on this board who view certain payers as mini gods. Steve Smith could take a dump on Rivera's desk and some one find a way to spin as just another reason Smith is awesome.

Beason made a mistake.

But those is me bowing out of my discussion with you....I can discuss things all day. But once one resorts to childish name calling I have no interest in discussing things with them

#261 Herb

Herb

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:20 PM

Nowhere close?

That makes your post nowhere near accurate, wouldn't?

If you just let the play in the field speak for itself....ignore all off field stuff (good and bad). Peppers is right there with Smith.

How is he right there with Smith? You think he had the same impact on the Panthers that Smith has? Really?

#262 L-TownCat

L-TownCat

Baptized In The Blood Of Saints

• ALL-PRO
  • 5,074 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:22 PM

I've watched Peppers his entire career as well and we are just going to have to agree to disagree on the subject. Peppers is the most dominant DE of the past decade and plays hard every game. As pointed out earlier, he didn't rack up his stats and accolades by "coasting through his career."

http://en.wikipedia..../Julius_Peppers

College Football Awards and honors

NFL awards and honors
  • NFL Rookie of the Month (10/02)
  • 2002 NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year
  • 2004 NFL Alumni Defensive Lineman of the Year
  • 2004 NFC Defensive Player of the Year
  • NFL 2000's All Decade Team
  • 100 Sacks Club
  • 2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 NFC Pro Bowl
  • 2004, 2006, 2010 All-Pro First Team
  • 2008, 2009, 2012 All-Pro Second Team
  • Four time NFC Defensive Player of the Month (11/2004, 10/2006, 11/2010, 11/2011)
  • Five time NFC Defensive Player of the Week (11/13/06, 11/9/08, 11/1/09, 11/18/10,12/23/12)
Panthers franchise records
  • Most career sacks (81)
  • Most career forced fumbles (30)
  • Longest Interception return: 97 (vs. Denver Broncos 10/10/04)
NFL records and accomplishments
  • Most interception return yards by a defensive lineman in NFL history: 178 yds
  • Most interception return yards in a single season by a defensive lineman in NFL history: 143 yds
  • Longest interception return by a defensive lineman in NFL history: 97 yds
  • Most interception return yards in a single game by a defensive lineman in NFL history: 97 yds
  • Most combined interception and fumble return yards by a defensive lineman in a single season since NFL merger in 1970: 203 yds
  • Tied for second most interceptions returned for touchdowns by a defensive lineman in NFL history: 2
  • Eighteenth most sacks in NFL history: 111.5
  • Tied for tenth most forced fumbles in NFL history: 37
  • Tied for second most interceptions by a defensive lineman in NFL history: 8
  • Third most passes defensed by a defensive lineman in NFL history: 59
  • Second most blocked kicks in NFL history: 13
  • Tied for fifth most double digit sack seasons in NFL history: 8
  • Tied for fourth most games with at least three sacks: 9
  • Tied for fifteenth most multiple sack games in NFL history: 28

Pep is very very good, maybe even the best at his position and he did all that off of his talent alone. If he had an ounce of want to we would be talking about the best player to ever play the game. That is what is so frustrating about pep.

Secondly, did you just create this thread to tell everyone their opinions are wrong?

#263 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 25,271 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:24 PM

How is he right there with Smith? You think he had the same impact on the Panthers that Smith has? Really?

As pure players.....yes.

Fan love....no.

Career wise Peppers ranks higher amongst his DE peers than Smith among his. I say they are right there as players bc Peppers despite ranking higher....he had help and didn't rely on so much else to occur in order to make plays vs Smith

Impact on Panther history and best player to of played the bulk of his career here really hit on slightly different questions though IMO.

I will say this, unlike Peppers, Smith has had one of the greatest single seasons in NFL history....but Peppers despite not reaching the ceiling people wanted was consistently just as awesome

Saying Smith is better is fine. saying it isn't close....is just hate

#264 TheRumGone

TheRumGone

mountain man

• ALL-PRO
  • 9,395 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:27 PM

Name me player that has ever questioned Peppers outside Beason....who quickly apologized. Go back and look at all those who have addressed those who have questioned Peppers. It is a landslide reaction in favor of Peppers.

There are some posters on this board who view certain payers as mini gods. Steve Smith could take a dump on Rivera's desk and some one find a way to spin as just another reason Smith is awesome.

Beason made a mistake.

But those is me bowing out of my discussion with you....I can discuss things all day. But once one resorts to childish name calling I have no interest in discussing things with them

You are a troll. And there is nothing childish about calling someone a douche when they are being one. Stop quoting my posts all the time and ill stop answering you. Beason has one of the highest character personalities on this team. I trust him before Cj. And who else would question him? Of course he recounted, everyone that has ever spoken out is made to recount. Bowing out CRA.

#265 PredatorPeppers

PredatorPeppers

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:42 PM

Pep is very very good, maybe even the best at his position and he did all that off of his talent alone. If he had an ounce of want to we would be talking about the best player to ever play the game. That is what is so frustrating about pep.

Secondly, did you just create this thread to tell everyone their opinions are wrong?

Why don't you think he has an ounce of want to? That is rediculous IMO, Peppers is my favorite player of all time, I have read numerous articles on him, and watched nearly all his games. I know for a fact he has desire to be a great player and is also a good person. Maybe if he was a rah rah look at me jack ass like Jared Allen is or Desean Jackson type people would like him better. It seems in our sad society people like the cocky douche bags better than the humble quiet lead by example types. Peppers doesn't toot his own horn, which is one of the many reasons why he is my favorite player.

And no I did not create an account for that purpose.

#266 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 25,271 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:47 PM

30.5 is good. Not spectacular, but pretty good.

Even looking at his FF, INTs and blocks, nothing really leaps out at you. Maybe his INTs? He's never been close to Jared Allen as a player, but Peppers is a nice DE.

Lets look closer...

Sacks
Peppers -111.5
Allen - 117

FF
Peppers -38
Allen - 28

INTs
Peppers - 8
Allen - 5

INT return yards
Peppers- 178
Allen - 53

Def TDs
Peppers- 3
Allen - 2

Blocked kicks
Peppers - 13
Allen - 0

So when you say Peppers has never been close as a player....I don't see it. Allen is a better pass rusher

#267 PredatorPeppers

PredatorPeppers

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:56 PM

http://www.panthers....dd-21403f184910 Peppers shows how to
rush the passer

http://www.chicagobe...7B-2728E476C2BF Peppers press conference after joining Bears

http://www.chicagobe...78-0F4ECD03BA6A Peppers interview

http://www.chicagobe...91-EACE4D460D61 Peppers interview

http://www.chicagobe...FE-BBED74EF28A0 Peppers interview

http://www.chicagobe...45-82e5c51fea73 Peppers interview

http://www.chicagobe...mediatype=Video Peppers Bears related content

http://www.panthers....=julius peppers Peppers Panthers related content

#268 iamhubby1

iamhubby1

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,542 posts
  • LocationSpartanburg, SC

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:00 PM

The fact that Pep put up ridiculous numbers is a big reason Panther fans still hold a grudge. As big as those numbers are, it is obvious to most fans, they could have been better. Sure the expectations were high, as they should be, but the production just lacked a consistency you would expect. Pep is a great athlete with a mysterious lack of consistency.

#269 NCstoner420

NCstoner420

Dave's not here man

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:03 PM

Greatest athlete yes, greatest player nope. Steve Smith is the greatest player we have seen play in Carolina and probably won't be matched in terms of greatness for sometime. I mean the guy won the triple crown during a season when the team ran more times than they passed. Just think about that while you ponder the phrase greatest player.

#270 PredatorPeppers

PredatorPeppers

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:07 PM

Lets look closer...

Sacks
Peppers -111.5
Allen - 117

FF
Peppers -38
Allen - 28

INTs
Peppers - 8
Allen - 5

INT return yards
Peppers- 178
Allen - 53

Def TDs
Peppers- 3
Allen - 2

Blocked kicks
Peppers - 13
Allen - 0

So when you say Peppers has never been close as a player....I don't see it. Allen is a better pass rusher

I'll add to this, and Allen actually does have one career blocked kick...

Passes defensed
Peppers - 59
Allen - 45

Pro Bowls
Peppers - 8
Allen - 5

All Pro Teams (first and second combined)
Peppers - 6
Allen - 4

Fumble Recoveries (Allen has a few more)
Peppers - 13
Allen - 17

Although Allen has played two less seasons than Peppers, Peppers is still the more impressive player IMO. Allen just wants to rack up sacks, where as Peppers plays the run and the pass. Both are future HOFers IMO though.

Also, I believe Peppers is every bit the pass rusher Allen is, he just doesn't go for the sack every play. Allen also doesn't see the amount of double teams that Peppers does because teams don't fear him as much as they do Pep. I've seen plenty enough of Allen to make that statement.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com