Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Explosion at Texas Fertilizer Plant...

28 posts in this topic

Posted

in his defense he was really far away when you consider it was just a "fire" at first..

Posted

the one going for the dumb ass parent of the year award

And Cowboys fan most like,y.

2 people like this

Posted

I hope the casualty count is a lot smaller than reported. I pray for Waco.

Posted

in his defense he was really far away when you consider it was just a "fire" at first..

If he wasn't a dumb ass he would have realized the possibility of an explosion and not had his kid so close to something like that.

Posted

Fertilizer = Stay the eff back

Posted

Rule of thumb.

Fire in industrial plant? Stay away.

Even things you don't "think" there's anything in can become an issue.

Intern at Moen one summer. They have molten nickel they use to inject into the molds for the faucet. Large vats of molten metal. Do you know what happens if a roof puddle/leak comes through a spot and pours into that vat? That's just one example. So many other areas with large containers of explosive materials (which is why you see the MSDS graphic on the sides of most industrial buildings).

Just stay the f away. The feed mill I mentioned didn't have large quantities of fuel, or fertilizer...something as simple as a half-filled silo of feed that puts millions of ppm of dust in the air that will ignite very rapidly in a contained space. Fire is scary stuff.

Posted

If he wasn't a dumb ass he would have realized the possibility of an explosion and not had his kid so close to something like that.

hinesight is 20/20

the school was very close by- he was probably picking them up or dropping them off..

as a dad, you have your kids in a car and see a fire hydrant flushing excess water in the air or a deer in the side of the road or something out of the ordinary, you are going to pull over and show the kids something they havent seen before or something cool.. parking more than a 1,500 yards away from a fire doesnt seem like the stupidest thing in the world to do- at the least, not put him in the running for stupidest dad of the year award.. im sure there are much better options

all im saying

Posted

sadly it sounds like the majority of the dead are firefighters that were there to fight the initial blaze.

I haven't heard lots of details...but one thing that jumps out at me is Ammonia Nitrate...and water....hmmm...there's a problem there!

been in and around these facilities pretty much my entire working life...big loud and scary and almost always taken for granted.

Posted

Why is there housing/businesses so close to such a large plant? Maybe it was built prior to any safety precautions for distance?

Posted

the town folk made the decision to allow the town to grow closer and closer to the plant. My understanding is the plant was there first.

Posted

Reports on CNN say toll is at 35 and could rise to 70.

Posted

another video