Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pre Draft Presser with GM Dave Gettleman

39 posts in this topic

Posted

Thanks mr Scott...who would be your runner up to tavon Austin?

Posted

I love this presser, had a good time watching a presser for a long time (ever since Cam first couple of times speaking, now it's just ya man we gotta come back and compete bull crap everyweek). Hopefully he keeps this personality throughout his long tenure here. I don't know about you guys, but I think we can rule out Sheldon Richardson, he isn't a big body at all (thank god). Also have the feeling that we may not go DT until the second round or lower because how he was talking about how deep the position is. But as expected he didn't give us any hint of what we are going to do with our first pick, personally I hope it's Hopkins dream scenario would be trade back pick up a third or extra 2nd and still pick up Hopkins.

A person that hasn't gotten much mention is Josh Thomas, he's someone who can really play expect him to be competing for that starting spot and may win it. He played really well down the stretch.

Posted

Pretty sure all the Panther player names he mentioned were defensive backs. Off the top of my head, I remember mentions of Josh Norman, Drayton Florence, Captain Munnerlyn and D J Moore. If there were any other names mentioned, they've slipped my mind.

Implications: Don't expect a trade. Gettleman doesn't seem so inclined. Position? Gettleman thinks DT, DB and OL are deep - the first two, especially so - which might mean there won't be a sense of urgency to take those early, but that's pure speculation.

I believe the team will indeed be going BPA. Someone else suggested BPA minus QB or LB. I'd add RB to the list of "non-needs". NFl Network is actually speculating that no RBs will be taken in the first round at all for the first time in 50 years.

Right now, I covet Tavon Austin. I don't think he'll make it to our pick though :(

So scot what is your overall personal first impression of gettleman?

Posted

It's hard not to like Gettleman.

At the end of the day, the thing that turns the Panthers around, is that big, last second, march down the field drive to go ahead and the defens to hold a top flight offense when it counts. Then, the Panthers will be a team and then, Rivera will be a coach.

To me, right now, as much as I want to believe. I don't....and continuing to buying tickets on non-belief is a damned hard thing to do.

As someone else said, 'show me'. Show me when it matters, not when it doesn't.

Posted

Gettleman said that in the end hes going to make the picks according to his gut feeling.

I wonder how much input Rivera really has in the process this year.

Posted

Love that he called VT...VPI haha

statah

Posted

picking guys with "value" and "that fit the system"

What exactly is our system at this point? We really have no identity any longer.

Posted

Liked the presser you can tell he is a football guy. Didnt give anything away but made sure to explain the way he thinks. I liked that.

Posted

I like the way this guy communicates.

He knows football and he knows the backrooms of the NFL. He's got my hopes set high.

Posted

I've been a bit skeptical about Gettleman, maybe just because we have learned how easy it is to be disappointed over the last few years, but he really won me over with this presser. The guy is either the world's best actor, or he is very confident in his plan and the people he has to help him pull it off. Given his experience, I think we can take his confidence to the bank.

He is exactly the kind of guy we needed to get us headed in the right direction.

Posted

Thanks mr Scott...who would be your runner up to tavon Austin?

I'd be good with a lot of guys. Kenny Vacarro, Cordarelle Patterson (probably won't be there) Star Lotoulelei (ditto) or - I know others will disagree - Chance Warmack.

Austin is my top choice by far, but I'm pretty confident we'll get a good player.

So scot what is your overall personal first impression of gettleman?

Personable. Direct. Supremely confident (28 years of experience gives him reason to be).

Gettleman strikes me as one of those people who says "I'm gonna do (this)" and then goes out and does (this). That might seem like a given but trust me, it isn't, especially in a high profile world like the NFL.

Posted

I think Patterson will for sure be there. Austin probably won't but Patterson definitely will imo.