Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How would you feel about Tyler Eifert?

53 posts in this topic

Posted

Generally speaking, first round tight ends have been average, not game changers.

Vernon Davis, Dallas Clark, and Shockey are the guys in the last decade that I would say became huge impact players for their teams.

Others - Greg Olsen, Heath Miller, Kellen Winslow, Brandon Pettigrew, Mercedes Lewis, Ben Watson, Jermaine Greshman, Dustin Keller, Jerramy Stevens - have had varying degrees of success but I wouldn't call them huge impact players. Olsen and Miller are certainly above average, and others on the list have potential.

Point is, IMO, there are more valuable positions, aligning with greater needs, and greater talent. If Eifert were a once in a decade kind of prospect (Luck, Megatron, etc.) then go for it. I don't think he's that guy.

1 person likes this

Posted

Good question. While I doubt Gettlemen and Steve Smith are chatting personnel, you hear things if you have been with an organization for 12 years or more. He said that Rosario (receiving TE out of UCLA on our PS) is one to watch. If that is true, remember what Gettlemen said about Victor Cruz, filling needs from your own roster.

I do not think we are drafting a player at 14 (very high for a TE) who will not fill a starting role. However, this is a special TE and the league is leaning that way...who knows? Good question, First day. I would lie if I told you the thought had not entered my mind more than once.

Posted

we aren't going to pick both this isn't madden

It's a passing league for one. And two gettleman said we'll be doing bpa. Eifert and Hopkins would be the best players at our picks varying a little depending on whose there. And you can chill with the snark bro

Posted

I would be incredibly annoyed if that happened. We already have an all pro TE it would be a waste of a pick to get another.

Posted

I think it would be flushing the draft down the toilet. The team has needs, TE isn't one of them.

Posted

No. But, if Gettleman and staff feel that he and Olsen would give us a duo similar to what the Pats have in Gronk and Hernandez, then why not? Gettleman certainly seems serious about getting Cam more weapons one way or another.

I do find it entertaining though that anytime someone disagrees with another person's draft preference, they accuse that person of Madden GM'ing.

Posted

I would be incredibly annoyed if that happened. We already have an all pro TE it would be a waste of a pick to get another.

Except we don't have an All Pro TE.

We have a good TE, but he's not an All Pro and isn't top 5.

Posted

No. But, if Gettleman and staff feel that he and Olsen would give us a duo similar to what the Pats have in Gronk and Hernandez, then why not? Gettleman certainly seems serious about getting Cam more weapons one way or another.

I do find it entertaining though that anytime someone disagrees with another person's draft preference, they accuse that person of Madden GM'ing.

Agreed. Fans assume it was Wes Welker that made The Patriots' offense dynamic but in reality it's Gronk and Hernandez that are responsible for New England having a scary offense.

A two-TE set is an ideal system for any young or veteran QB in the league.

Posted

I think of Olsen as pretty much wr anyway. Both would be interchangeable. A weapon is a weapon.

1 person likes this

Posted

passing league = nfl turning into madden.

i think that's the goal, anyway. got to make the game more exciting. more passing. more targets. more weapons.

not saying we aren't going to go get one of them but we have enough holes on defense that one of the first two is going D, it just depends who drops to us.

Posted

I would love the pick. We don't have a backup to Greg Olsen on the roster and Tyler would make a ton of sense.

Posted

not saying we aren't going to go get one of them but we have enough holes on defense that one of the first two is going D, it just depends who drops to us.

i know. i feel the same way. problem is we don't know who the best/biggest impact player is going to be. i'm preparing myself for just about anything, including a situation where we draft a WR and TE or two WRs or two DTs or two safeties or just about anything, tbh.

if gettleman thinks that there are no glaring holes and thinks he can get adequate and quicker answers for depth concerns in FA then i would be prepared to see a somewhat lopsided draft in some people's minds...esp. if the plan is to get the best players and not focus on needs or holes.