Photo
* - - - - 1 votes

The player that the beefed up front could help the most...

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#61 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,793 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:56 PM

Norman will suprise. Mark my words

Top 3 defense

I agree on Norman. People expect so much out of a rookie. They act like he was a top10 pick. The kid was a 5th rounder rookie last season. If anything, he showed a lot of promise.

But we will be more of a top10 D. Hesitant to call a top3 atm.

#62 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 17,793 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 01 May 2013 - 10:02 PM

As far as I'm concerned the only people that should be biting their tongue are those of you hyping the kid up last year. Him getting benched pretty much solidified what I said all last year.

I think he has the potential to be good but he was awful last year. True most rookie dbs struggle but most don't get benched their rookie year. Add that to the fact that he got benched on a pretty weak secondary. Not good.

He showed promises being a 5th rounder rookie. Can't expect him to be Charles Woodson.

And who cares if others hyped him up. It's the damn off season. There's nothing wrong with fans being fans hyping a rookie up if the kid go out and grabbed 4ints in camp. I don't remember seeing people stating he was going to be DROY.

#63 TANTRIC-NINJA

TANTRIC-NINJA

The holy ghost of Mr. Miyagi

• HUDDLER
  • 5,872 posts
  • LocationColumbia, South Kacky

Posted 01 May 2013 - 10:05 PM

As far as stepping in the pocket, it was not as prevelant last season with a mostly healthy season from the Edwards Deux.

It is why Hardy really benefited from the edge rush he got in 2010. In 2010 Hardy would get the edge but the zero push in the middle allowed even Joey Harrington to step up and pick apart the defense.

Id say the added middle adds 4-6 more sacks for the DEs alone and really helps a Godfrey on the backend as QBs will have to let the ball go a lot sooner for the guys to ball hawk.

I would say that if all goes to what most of us envision the defense could add close to 6-10 more turnovers from last seasons numbers...which is a stretch number of course. Adding more chanches at ints increases pick 6 oppos and more possessions. It benefits everyone!

Here is to a mostly injury free defense.

#64 AceBoogie

AceBoogie

LiveStrong

• HUDDLER
  • 4,214 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 10:12 PM

He showed promises being a 5th rounder rookie. Can't expect him to be Charles Woodson.

And who cares if others hyped him up. It's the damn off season. There's nothing wrong with fans being fans hyping a rookie up if the kid go out and grabbed 4ints in camp. I don't remember seeing people stating he was going to be DROY.

I don't care where he was drafted if he's a starter I'm holding him to starter standards. Again I state Josh Norman was benched because he was playing like garbage that my friend is a fact.

#65 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 17,793 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 01 May 2013 - 10:17 PM

I don't care where he was drafted if he's a starter I'm holding him to starter standards. Again I state Josh Norman was benched because he was playing like garbage that my friend is a fact.

Omg

#66 PhillyB

PhillyB

hug it chug it football

• HUDDLER
  • 19,306 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 01 May 2013 - 10:47 PM

captain may benefit the most, actually. he's already got a penchant for jumping routes and a murderous pass rush is only going to encourage him to do so. dude should have a career year.

#67 The Huddler

The Huddler

St. Thomas Aquinas

• HUDDLER
  • 4,251 posts
  • LocationRadford University

Posted 01 May 2013 - 11:03 PM

I agree on Norman. People expect so much out of a rookie. They act like he was a top10 pick. The kid was a 5th rounder rookie last season. If anything, he showed a lot of promise.

But we will be more of a top10 D. Hesitant to call a top3 atm.

Mark my words my man..

Top 3 Defense as we are entering into the playoffs..

Rivera has been with us for going on 3 years, about the same amount of time it took for him to mask a #1 Defense in San Diego...   Its time to lay the hammer my friend

#68 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 17,793 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 01 May 2013 - 11:08 PM

Mark my words my man..

Top 3 Defense as we are entering into the playoffs..

Rivera has been with us for going on 3 years, about the same amount of time it took for him to mask a #1 Defense in San Diego... Its time to lay the hammer my friend

But that SD no.1 defense weren't all that if you watched them played. They had some up and down games. Great game vs Peyton though.

I do believe we will make the playoffs though.

#69 The Huddler

The Huddler

St. Thomas Aquinas

• HUDDLER
  • 4,251 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 12:16 AM

But that SD no.1 defense weren't all that if you watched them played. They had some up and down games. Great game vs Peyton though.

I do believe we will make the playoffs though.

Chuck my friend, at the end of the day they were the "#1 ranked team" rightfully so or not. 

At the end of the day, the Carolina Panthers will have at least a "Top 3 Defense" by playoff time, rightfully so or not.

Rivera didn't have anything CLOSE to our current front 7 in San Diego. And their secondary wasn't much more impressive than ours..  

On a tangent, it is Wilkes 2nd year on the squad. He was a big part in getting that San Diego secondary on full go.

Big things this year man, big things.

Edit: ** # 1 ranked Defense

#70 iamhubby1

iamhubby1

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,277 posts
  • LocationSpartanburg, SC

Posted 02 May 2013 - 01:28 AM

The ONE player who will benefit the most? Keek. He should lead the league in tackles. Easily.

#71 iamhubby1

iamhubby1

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,277 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 01:30 AM

Oh, and making any assumption about our DB corp in the offseason is open to debate. We all have hindsight. None of us have foresight. Speculate away. Cuz that's what fans do. But keep one thing in mind. Gettlemen has got this.

#72 iamhubby1

iamhubby1

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,277 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 02:04 AM

Chuck my friend, at the end of the day they were the "#1 ranked team" rightfully so or not. 

At the end of the day, the Carolina Panthers will have at least a "Top 3 Defense" by playoff time, rightfully so or not.

Rivera didn't have anything CLOSE to our current front 7 in San Diego. And their secondary wasn't much more impressive than ours..  

On a tangent, it is Wilkes 2nd year on the squad. He was a big part in getting that San Diego secondary on full go.

Big things this year man, big things.

Edit: ** # 1 ranked Defense

One of the best in the biz. Imo, at this point in time. We have a very deep staff. Top, Gettlemen on down,  there are talented people at almost every position. For the first time in really ever, we have a staff that is chuck full of "Football Folks".

I know some folks don't want to hear this. But... There is a new Culture up in here. Some of these kids don't even know Fox was a coach here. His culture is gone.

Half our D are Rivera guys. They only know Rivera and how he does things. Throw in a new GM that appears to be of the same ilk as Rivera. And you have a very compelling argument for a bright future.

But... The #! D? Even I can't get behind that one. And I am as optimistic as anyone. One scary azz unit to have to plan for? Sure. And potentially, top tenish for sure. I just think we are one more year from reaching our potential.

#73 MasterAwesome

MasterAwesome

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 02:29 AM

I'm cautiously optimistic about Norman based on Gettleman's praise.  There's no way of knowing if he truly has improved unless we see him out in an actual game...if you recall last year during practice and OTAs he played pretty damn well, having to match up against Steve Smith for a large part and having that 4-pick practice (and eventually earning a starting job).  I'm not saying Norman is one of them...but there are some people who can't handle game-time pressure and it gets in their head during the game.  There's no question that he has the talent...but we'll just have to see if he can put it on display when it counts.

#74 The Huddler

The Huddler

St. Thomas Aquinas

• HUDDLER
  • 4,251 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 02:49 AM

I said top 3!

#75 The Huddler

The Huddler

St. Thomas Aquinas

• HUDDLER
  • 4,251 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 02:51 AM

We were top ten last year! right?!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.