Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Surprised Gettleman hasnt made some firings

Carolina Panthers

Best Answer rayzor, 02 May 2013 - 01:01 PM

Thats my point, usually after the draft is when scouts get let go.

unless they did a good enough job.

i think the problem for years has been the GM and not necessarily the scouting dept.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#16 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,619 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 01:01 PM   Best Answer

Thats my point, usually after the draft is when scouts get let go.

unless they did a good enough job.

i think the problem for years has been the GM and not necessarily the scouting dept.

#17 MCC

MCC

• ALL-PRO
  • 847 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 01:44 PM

I think its pretty wrong to call for the jobs of people you have no idea about. That is their livelihood.

#18 OchoNueve

OchoNueve

for those of you that don't habla espanol...

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 02 May 2013 - 02:19 PM

the scouts may have been good and knowledgable, but when the boss man disregards your opinion consistently then your skills are wasted and effectiveness is limited.

To add to that, when your boss man disregards your opinion consistently then it is also easy to get a case of the "fug its" and not work to your potential.  If the old regime did not listen to their staff's input and opinions as suggested, Gettleman being more of a communicator has probably been a breath of fresh air and reinvigorated some of our staff that may have grown complacent.

#19 Gabeking

Gabeking

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,341 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 02:26 PM

aside from gregory it is a new one...relatively new anyway. after the 2011 draft pretty much everyone got canned and what you saw in the 2012 draft was the result of the new crew.

gettleman seemed to think that what we had was good enough and all the current guys needed was training and tools.

Just curious where did you hear that we hired a new scouting crew?

#20 rayzor

rayzor

• Moderators
  • -29,619 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:02 PM

Just curious where did you hear that we hired a new scouting crew?

the last i heard about it was mid season last year in a radio interview with hurney (before he was fired, of course).

it was kind of a passing statement but it was one that i don't remember being talked about much. i kind of remember seeing even an article or two about it when it happened as well.

i think both times it was discussed a little in here.

if i had the energy i'd try to find it.

#21 Gabeking

Gabeking

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,341 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:10 PM

the last i heard about it was mid season last year in a radio interview with hurney (before he was fired, of course).

it was kind of a passing statement but it was one that i don't remember being talked about much. i kind of remember seeing even an article or two about it when it happened as well.

i think both times it was discussed a little in here.

if i had the energy i'd try to find it.

Ahh ok, thanks

#22 rayzor

rayzor

• Moderators
  • -29,619 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:18 PM

Ahh ok, thanks

i think even the year before that they purged pretty much all the old guys from the scouting department...and by old i mean over 45. florio made a big stink about it, of course. i think that the rest of the guys had contracts set to expire after the 2011 season.

#23 Squirrel

Squirrel

Drink a beer and relax

• ALL-PRO
  • 12,523 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:38 PM

I think its pretty wrong to call for the jobs of people you have no idea about. That is their livelihood.

Not when you have a new GM.  Guys might be good but usually a GM has some people he likes to bring in that he knows.  It is nothing against the current scouts just surprised he didnt. 

I have nothing against the scouting department and actually think we have a good head scout in Gregory.  Would really hate to lose the talent.  I know Gettleman really let them do their job this year and listened to their input (as per his interviews).  So that is a big upgrade over Hurney. 

#24 MCC

MCC

• ALL-PRO
  • 847 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 05:28 PM

Not when you have a new GM.  Guys might be good but usually a GM has some people he likes to bring in that he knows.  It is nothing against the current scouts just surprised he didnt. 

I have nothing against the scouting department and actually think we have a good head scout in Gregory.  Would really hate to lose the talent.  I know Gettleman really let them do their job this year and listened to their input (as per his interviews).  So that is a big upgrade over Hurney. 

I gotcha. I wasn't speaking specifically towards you, just a general statement. 

#25 The Golden Child

The Golden Child

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,848 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:46 PM

It's likely Gettleman will add assistants or promote scouts.

#26 rayzor

rayzor

• Moderators
  • -29,619 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:37 PM

It's likely Gettleman will add assistants or promote scouts.

yeah, this might have been part of  an evaluative process that might get some guys promoted and other guys canned and see where we need some help.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Carolina Panthers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com