Photo
- - - - -

16-Year-Old Florida Honor Student Charged With Two Felonies For Doing A Science Experiment

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,494 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:54 AM

http://www.businessi...xplosion-2013-5

No one was hurt by the "explosion," but later that day Wilmot was handcuffed, arrested, and expelled from school. According to the police report, she has been charged with two felonies: "possession/discharge of a weapon on school grounds" and "discharging a destructive device."

Laws and school rules like these are brutal and I hope that she gets off. But I have heard similar stories where an aggressive DA starts relating it to terrorism and wants to uphold the felony. 

I worry that my boys, who are angels, will do something that kids do and end up with a police record.

#2 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 31,471 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:32 PM

Zero tolerance laws are stupid.

#3 thatlookseasy

thatlookseasy

Death to pennies

• HUDDLER
  • 2,735 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 02:18 PM

Wow I cant understand how the administrators of that school can live with themselves.  They are literally punishing this girl for taking the initiative to further her own education, pretty much the opposite of how the education system should work

#4 PhillyB

PhillyB

hug it chug it football

• HUDDLER
  • 17,684 posts
  • LocationGreensboro

Posted 03 May 2013 - 02:51 PM

she should put this on her CV in an application to MIT

#5 Brokenbad

Brokenbad

Cam is my hero

• HUDDLER
  • 3,550 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 07:42 AM

Really weird to me how high school kids get slammed, cuffed, charged, and treated like terrorist more than terrorists do...man trying to ignite his shoe on a plane...fort hood, dark knight shooting....all seem to just sit in jail and wait for a trial instead of being charged with tons of stuff and treated like a horrible criminal.

#6 logic1977

logic1977

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 03:22 PM

So she built a bomb at school and so ehow she's the victim? She was an a+ student per the article. She knew better

#7 Django 2 Chainz

Django 2 Chainz

Killer

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationHustlin' in the streets

Posted 04 May 2013 - 03:28 PM

So she built a bomb at school and so ehow she's the victim? She was an a+ student per the article. She knew better

LOL.  You are an idiot.  It doesn't surprise me this happened in Florida either.  That place is a dump and needs to fall into the ocean.  Few things are worse than being young and black in Florida.  I'm not sure how the school admins can allow exaggerated felony charges to be pinned on a promising young student, but I doubt they even actually care.  Just another statistic; just another hoodrat off the streets.  That's probably what they think. 

Zero tolerance laws are essentially designed to keep prisons filled with a steady influx of bodies (mostly underprivileged children) so that the overlords who run the prison system that was privatized by idiots masquerading as thinking men can keep making money hand over fist.

This has nothing to do with school safety.

#8 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • 15,954 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 04:51 PM

she deserved some kind of reprimand of some form for what she did, but the idea that she deserves what she got is insane.  way too big a punishment for the 'crime.'

#9 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 19,700 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 06:53 PM

Few things are worse than being young and black in Florida.

I grew up in Florida with tons of black friends who mostly all went on to college and are doing very well for themselves. Long time huddler Buddha Jones being one of them.

Maybe you are the idiot?

#10 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 9,352 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 07:51 PM

School Rules

http://www.myfoxhous...-making-relious

#11 Kevin Greene

Kevin Greene

______CYA_____

• HUDDLER
  • 15,975 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 01:56 PM

I have a friend here in Cali who's teen son did the same thing as a prank in the courtyard at school.

Same expulsion and prosecution result. 

#12 googoodan

googoodan

Memberest

• HUDDLER
  • 9,760 posts
  • LocationBayside

Posted 05 May 2013 - 02:40 PM

Man thats harsh. I have destroyed my Halloween pumpkins with similar "bombs" through the years.
I guess I need to stop before my kids figure out how to do it and try it at school.

#13 Anybodyhome

Anybodyhome

USN Retired

• HUDDLER
  • 5,383 posts
  • LocationAlmost where I want to be...

Posted 05 May 2013 - 07:31 PM

She's well on her way to a very successful career in EOD...

"The Hurt Locker"

#14 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• HUDDLER
  • 21,693 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:19 AM

After reading the article, it sounds like an honor student version if "Hey Yall Watch This". Doing a science experiment on school grounds is iffy but this makes it more so:

The aluminum foil and drain cleaner reaction is a go-to science experiment. The problem seems to be that she wasn't doing the experiment under controlled safety conditions, as in class or with her teachers. In the police report, Wilmot claimed it was in preparation for the science fair, but supposedly the science teachers said there was no upcoming science fair, according to ABC Action News. And the experiment was also done on school grounds (it was outdoors).

If this is indeed the case, then there's really no excuse for doing it at school - someone could have been hurt and the school been liable for it. Think about it from an administration perspective and having to deal with other parents, maybe one or two whose kids got punished for doing this inside a building when the rules have no differentiation. Or they were white/hispanic/asian kids. It's probably about that more than an exploding soda bottle.

#15 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 17,082 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:06 AM

Not a science fair.....not preparing for a science fair....not under teacher supervision in the chemistry lab.

This girl basically built a small bomb and set it off in the school courtyard.

Someone could have gotten seriously injured....she got what she deserved.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.