iamhubby1

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,549 posts
  • LocationSpartanburg, SC

Posted 05 May 2013 - 03:40 PM

Here's the deal...

We cut DWill June 1st and we open up cap space. Yes, we have to eat some unallocated bonus, but it still saves money because of his high but non-guaranteed salary.

Stew, on the other hand, is still due quite a bit of guaranteed money, making it much harder to make an immediate move with him.

If I were Gettleman, I'd cut DWill June 1 of this year, and look to do something to get out from under Stew's deal next year.

/

/

/

/

/

/

/

DWill's fate is in Gettlemen's hands. There are precious few options. Pretty much keep him and pay him what, 9.6 mil or so. Or designate him a June 1st cut, and spread it out over two years.

Option 1 makes us a better Offense than option 2. Use DWill and Stewy right, and that is as good a weapon as anyone. Cam under center with DWill and Stewy flanking him.  You can still go 3WR 2TE, or darn near any scheme or formation you want to run.

You can decide what to do next after the season. I would hate for our O to lose DWill. He is the ONLY homerun threat we have in the backfield. Until Barner shows up, we need both DWill and Stewy. It may handcuff us some this year. But there are no RBs out there worth even worrying over, so we aren't really missing out on anyone. 

I guess we will have to wait until June 1st at the latest to see where we are going at the RB position.

Is that really enough time to get a feel for what Barner brings? Because if Barner can't contribute at the RB position, you only have Stewy and Tolbert.  However, IF Barner can contribute. DWill may be on the bubble.

Short story long. Until you can replace the HomeRun ability, DWill is going to be a Panther.

#47 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 25,360 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 03:45 PM

I want to see how much the offense is going to change under Shula before I get into the Will v. Stew argument.
Stew was the guy you could depend on for consistent 4 yard gains under Fox. Williams' line would be something like this: loss of 1, gain of 2, gain of 1, no gain, gain of 2, no gain, 53 yard TD.
But under Chud, neither were really a ball controlling, run down the clock back - mainly because of our offensive scheme. Will could still get some big gains (on rarer occasions). Stew was incredible in the passing game in 2011.

Shula is only here so things don't change...

Expect to see 2011 and the same thing we ran in 2012 ( outside the first 4 games)

#48 Snake

Snake

swagaholic

• HUDDLER
  • 11,815 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 08:15 PM

From my understanding they would have to take that contract. I don't see any team doing that, if that's the case.

Depends on if he would renegotiate. I get the feeling he wont.

#49 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,424 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:21 PM

Depends on if he would renegotiate. I get the feeling he wont.

i wouldn't. not for anyone.

#50 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • 5,598 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:56 AM

i wouldn't. not for anyone.

Remember that DWill has no guaranteed money coming. So his choice will be to take less from wherever he plays or retire.

I'm not advocating renegotiating with him per se, but DWill is not going to continue earning what he has in the past, no matter where he goes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com