Photo
- - - - -

NC teen arrested for bringing shotguns to school by mistake... Gets full ride to Christian University...

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#16 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,779 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:42 AM

What happens when the school makes the assumption that it was an honest mistake.....and then the kid comes back and unloads on their classmates.

The public outcry against the principal and administrators would be unbelievable.

#17 Jase

Jase

Kuechold Fantasies

• Administrators
  • 16,886 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:42 AM

To me, calling his mom instead of going straight to the school's administration was the mistake.

He should have gone to the principal, explained it was a mistake, and asked permission to get his mom to come take the weapons off the premises under the supervision of the school's staff.

All the school cares about is that 1) the guns were on campus, and, 2) the student tried to hide it

#18 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 18,779 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:44 AM

To me, calling his mom instead of going straight to the school's administration was the mistake.

He should have gone to the principal, explained it was a mistake, and asked permission to get his mom to come take the weapons off the premises under the supervision of the school's staff.

All the school cares about is that 1) the guns were on campus, and, 2) the student tried to hide it

Given how the rules are written for the schools, I would think that the principal would have immediately expelled the kid and called the cops if they kid came to them.

The school has to enfore the law/rules as they are written.  The kid would have been forced to appeal the punishment to the school board in that case.

Kid was in a tough spot and I feel for him.  But, guns on campus (in today's environment) is a very serious issue. 

#19 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 32,979 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:15 AM

when should a kid be arrested for bringing two guns to school?

I would have no problem if the administrator called the cops in this situation and the kid was arrested... he broke the rules.

My problem with the situation are these zero tolerance laws... the kid should be punished for breaking the rules, but the punishment in this case went way overboard. Each case should be reviewed in and of itself and any punishment/consequences shouldn't be based on some rule set in stone somewhere.

#20 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 18,779 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:18 AM

I would have no problem if the administrator called the cops in this situation and the kid was arrested... he broke the rules.

My problem with the situation are these zero tolerance laws... the kid should be punished for breaking the rules, but the punishment in this case went way overboard. Each case should be reviewed in and of itself and any punishment/consequences shouldn't be based on some rule set in stone somewhere.

I completely understand your point.

With situations like guns on campus....how can they really determine whether this was an accident or not.  They would have to take the kids word for it.  What if he were lying and had intended to do harm with the guns?

Guns on campus is a very slippery slope.

#21 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 32,979 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:31 AM

I completely understand your point.

With situations like guns on campus....how can they really determine whether this was an accident or not.  They would have to take the kids word for it.  What if he were lying and had intended to do harm with the guns?

Guns on campus is a very slippery slope.

I agree... and I don't blame the administrator, he was doing his job as the rules called for.

In regards to the punishment however, there should be a way to use mitigating or aggravating circumstances to determine the right punishment... it shouldn't just be pre-determined... This kid made (from all appearances) an honest mistake and is paying dearly for it.

It shouldn't be hard to look at this kids record, talk to his friends, confirm that he had just returned from a hunting trip, etc. and see that this punishment didn't fit the crime.

#22 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 18,779 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:38 AM

I agree... and I don't blame the administrator, he was doing his job as the rules called for.

In regards to the punishment however, there should be a way to use mitigating or aggravating circumstances to determine the right punishment... it shouldn't just be pre-determined... This kid made (from all appearances) an honest mistake and is paying dearly for it.

It shouldn't be hard to look at this kids record, talk to his friends, confirm that he had just returned from a hunting trip, etc. and see that this punishment didn't fit the crime.

I could get my head wrapped around that.

Still a slippery slope though.

#23 Shufdog

Shufdog

• HUDDLER
  • 2,090 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:45 AM

It was not an uncommon occurrence where I went to high school.

Same here. We used to have them hanging in the gun rack, visible to everybody!

#24 Cat

Cat

Terminally bored

• HUDDLER
  • 8,541 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:08 AM

Very responsible of him just leaving guns in his car. "Oh yeah I forgot I had those weapons with me", wtf.

If people can't drink til 21 because of lack of maturity and responsibility then I think it's fair to say they shouldnt be able to own weapons til 21.

#25 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,519 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:10 AM

@ shufdog  Granted it this was ...15 years ago?

Basically kid should have.

Went straight to principle.

Said "this was an honest mistake, I want to get them off campus immediately"

Administration lets him call a parent.

Truck is watched

Guns removed under supervision.

Kid gets suspended for a week or two.

Graduates 

Life goes on.

#26 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,519 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:13 AM

Very responsible of him just leaving guns in his car. "Oh yeah I forgot I had those weapons with me", wtf.

If people can't drink til 21 because of lack of maturity and responsibility then I think it's fair to say they shouldn't be able to own weapons til 21.

Thats actually not a horrible idea.

As for the forgetting, when people are around guns often (hunting, sk33t, etc) they are less of a "evil menace  and more a "thing". 

Not saying you think  that, just explaining how they could be forgotten.

Go shooting late Sunday afternoon.

Head home for dinner.

Exhausted and fall asleep with guns in truck.

Etc etc.

#27 Cat

Cat

Terminally bored

• HUDDLER
  • 8,541 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:19 AM

Thats actually not a horrible idea.

As for the forgetting, when people are around guns often (hunting, sk33t, etc) they are less of a "evil menace  and more a "thing". 

Not saying you think  that, just explaining how they could be forgotten.

Go shooting late Sunday afternoon.

Head home for dinner.

Exhausted and fall asleep with guns in truck.

Etc etc.

Yeah, i have a close family member that constantly leaves guns lying his around his house and forgets them in his car, and leaves the car unlocked. He's had thousands of dollars in guns stolen and it hasn't changed his behavior. I can't stand how he is with guns. Love him to death but it's so  unsafe.

One of the many reasons I'm an advocate for regulations, stricter laws and training etc.

#28 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,519 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:20 AM

Yeah, i have a close family member that constantly leaves guns lying his around his house and forgets them in his car, and leaves the car unlocked. He's had thousands of dollars in guns stolen and it hasn't changed his behavior. I can't stand how he is with guns. Love him to death but it's so  unsafe.

One of the many reasons I'm an advocate for regulations, stricter laws and training etc.

Hard to regulate stupid out of the population.

#29 Cat

Cat

Terminally bored

• HUDDLER
  • 8,541 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:25 AM

Hard to regulate stupid out of the population.

Maybe though education works typically.

#30 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,400 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:25 AM

Growing up...nothing was thought of just going hunting early that morning and leaving it in the car during school.  Unloaded and locked in trunk though.  Who "found" the guns or was he going to the office to admit an honest mistake and trying to correct it? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com