Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

If Kenjon Barner shows competence, is Deangelo gone on June 1?

Carolina Panthers Training Camp

• Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

#106 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,598 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:30 AM

He just signed a long-term deal with a ton of guaranteed money. The guarantees take away Carolina's leverage. He doesn't have to take a paycut, he can just let the Panthers cut him, take his checks, and go sign another contract elsewhere. Steven Jackson just got $12 million from the Falcons, with a $3.5 million dollar bonus.

Let's say your boss says that you can quit your job and still get paid. You also have the option to take another job and get paid twice. Moving is a hassle, but you're telling me an extra $10 million over the life of his next contract wouldn't entice him? He's human, and you're fooling yourself if you think he's going to willingly walk away from all that money.

Maybe you missed some of the posts in this thread explaining why DWill has no leverage, so let's try this again...

DWill has no guaranteed money left on his deal. We cut him and his earnings this year are zero until someone else picks him up.

The millions in dead money being discussed here are just cap charges. DWill received the money a couple of years ago.

So no, he has no leverage.

#107 jarhead

jarhead

• HUDDLER
  • 4,621 posts
  • Locationnear Charlotte

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:12 AM

My thought are the potential cap saving is just to much for him to ignore.DWill is a favorite of mine but sometime you have to make those decisions for the better of the team. Even if Barner doesn't fit I could see them bring in a less expensive alternative.Right now I question Barners ability to block so I see him more as a 3rd down type of player. 

#108 jarhead

jarhead

• HUDDLER
  • 4,621 posts
  • Locationnear Charlotte

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:14 AM

He truly may not want to uproot his family and play elsewhere for only a mil or so more per season

In this scenario
1) he still earns close to 1 mil per year
2)gets to play the game he loves most
3) completes 10 years in the league which gets him a pension (if he plays 3 more years)

I'm not saying its promising, but there's definitely a chance.

Let hope that it goes down this way

#109 bleys

bleys

Simple and Plain

• ALL-PRO
  • 15,495 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:50 AM

Barner will replace DWill much sooner than later. Certain fans should begin accepting this sooner than later as well..

#110 lovelett

lovelett

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts
  • LocationWest Palm Beach, Florida

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:19 AM

Williams is not going anywhere- http://www.nfl.com/n...rolina-panthers

#111 SooSlow84

SooSlow84

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
  • LocationYour mother's basement

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:25 AM

Glad to see he took the pay cut. Not as much as I expected, but its great we will see him retire a panther.

#112 AggieLean.

AggieLean.

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,481 posts
  • LocationChattanooga, TN via Winston-Salem, NC

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:54 AM

No.

#113 Sod

Sod

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 11:56 AM

Yes, yes he is.

No, no he isn't.

#114 weymouthst

weymouthst

#1 zero

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,041 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 15 May 2013 - 12:47 PM

Looks like Barner will learn behind two of the best RB's in the league. When DWill has reached his wall, he will back up Barner and Stew. RB situation is taken care of for years to come!

#115 Dpantherman

Dpantherman

certified pee-on

• HUDDLER
  • 26,473 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 01:04 PM

I don't know why its so hard for some to grasp.  Had he not restructured he was GONE plain and simple.  RBs over 30 lose value. Thats how it works. Kenjon Barner wasn't drafted by accident, if he's able to take over early he's a much cheaper (and younger) option.  

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Carolina Panthers, Training Camp

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com