All HoF'ers in my opinion

#32 L-TownCat

L-TownCat

Champions are made in the offseason.

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,080 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 12:46 PM

In fairness....he was exposed to Smith signifantly more than those guys.

True but doesn't it say something when guarding one of those other guys feels like a getaway?

#33 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 19,718 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 12:54 PM

theres only 3 bucs i have ever liked

ronde barber
john lynch
mike alstott

No Derrick Brooks?

#34 Frizzy350

Frizzy350

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,963 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 12:57 PM

Great classy remarks by Barber. I have a feeling that he won't be the only corner that will say this.

Revis has stated that smitty is the toughest receiver he's been asked to cover.

I think it mostly comes down to how tough it is to stick to smith.  You can player perfect coverage vs calvin johnson or larry fitz, but they are still in a very good position to catch the ball just due to their height and size.  smith doesnt have that, and even though he wins a good chunk of jump balls, he needs to have better savvy and knowledge of the game to get separation.

#35 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 34,792 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 13 May 2013 - 01:13 PM

theres only 3 bucs i have ever liked

ronde barber
john lynch
mike alstott

No Warrick Dunn?

Lynch was a dirty player.

#36 h0llywood

h0llywood

I HATE LUKE KUECHLY!

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts
  • LocationPasadena, CA

Posted 13 May 2013 - 01:14 PM

I think it mostly comes down to how tough it is to stick to smith.  You can player perfect coverage vs calvin johnson or larry fitz, but they are still in a very good position to catch the ball just due to their height and size.  smith doesnt have that, and even though he wins a good chunk of jump balls, he needs to have better savvy and knowledge of the game to get separation.

I remember that interview.

I was meaning more down the line that there will be others that will be saying the same thing.

I've also noticed Smitty has put on some bulk on his upper body in pads but when you see him in person, I don't know where that weight is because he doesn't look that big. 

#37 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 19,718 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 01:14 PM

Brooks is probably the best Buc of all time. Him and Leroy Selmon.

#38 h0llywood

h0llywood

I HATE LUKE KUECHLY!

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts
  • LocationPasadena, CA

Posted 13 May 2013 - 01:15 PM

Oh...and this year, we finally can see #89 wear the golden C on his jersey.

#39 OneBadCat

OneBadCat

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 01:44 PM

In fairness....he was exposed to Smith signifantly more than those guys.

Of course you would say that.

#40 Razeyfingers

Razeyfingers

• HUDDLER
  • 3,013 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 01:49 PM

Idk Frizzy, there arent too many times when Smitty gives up an int on a jump ball and he's extremely hostile in the air with his hands. He plays as big as those other guys imo . . because he still out leaps defenders.

There's no difference in Megatron vs Smitty threat wise. If Megatron has a slight vertical advantage then Smitty has a horizontal one. It evens out if you ask me. Too shifty to cover or too tall? Theyre both nightmares and going to make you look bad.

shifty has a longer career though. haaaaa Eight NINE!

#41 OneBadCat

OneBadCat

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 01:53 PM

Idk Frizzy, there arent too many times when Smitty gives up an int on a jump ball and he's extremely hostile in the air with his hands. He plays as big as those other guys imo . . because he still out leaps defenders.

There's no difference in Megatron vs Smitty threat wise. If Megatron has a slight vertical advantage then Smitty has a horizontal one. It evens out if you ask me. Too shifty to cover or too tall? Theyre both nightmares and going to make you look bad.

shifty has a longer career though. haaaaa Eight NINE!

I don't think he's the same class of threat Megatron is now. But in his prime I think Smith is more dangerous because he's probably the best YAC WR of all time and he had the speed to beat anyone and the vertical to win jump balls. He's basically unstoppable. Remember he scored at will on a punt return in the NFC championship game when Seattle put 3 guys on him to stop him.

#42 L-TownCat

L-TownCat

Champions are made in the offseason.

• HUDDLER
  • 4,080 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 02:00 PM

Oh...and this year, we finally can see #89 wear the golden C on his jersey.

Srsly?  Has it been 4 consecutive years?  Damn time flies quick!

#43 Razeyfingers

Razeyfingers

• HUDDLER
  • 3,013 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 02:01 PM

No he's not in his prime anymore. Coaches have pulled certain plays that he cant execute anymore. Its true, Megatron is the baddest man at the moment. I have no problem admitting that, I just dont want to hear anyone around here saying it after I've been hearing them say it for 4 years. You dont get to say it for 4 years then when it happens. . claim that youre right.

Smitty is now leaving his prime, not 4 years ago, not 3 years ago, not 2 years ago. . now. Some huddlers are more interested in being right than caring about there players' legacies.

#44 h0llywood

h0llywood

I HATE LUKE KUECHLY!

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts
  • LocationPasadena, CA

Posted 13 May 2013 - 02:05 PM

Srsly?  Has it been 4 consecutive years?  Damn time flies quick!

Seriously time does fly. This would be year #5. If he didn't have all those incidents, he would have been sporting that Golden C for the past 3-4 years.

If anyone knows where that patch can be bought from please let me know, I would like to put it on my jersey.

#45 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 23,642 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 02:05 PM

Of course you would say that.

OMG sound the alarm.  I comment was that wasn't only blind homerism.

Here is an example of reality for you to ponder.  Reggie Wayne and Steve Smith.  I picked Reggie only b/c he is Smith's exact age....and one of many WRs someone else brought up.

Reggie Wayne - 3 career games against Tampa

Steve Smith -  20 career games against Tampa

But I would imagine any CBs that consistantly got a taste around the 2005 era version of Smith would have said the same.  But the above matters....not when talking about Steve but simply when players talk about others in general. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Carolina Panthers, NFL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.