Photo
* * * * * 4 votes

Cam Newton poised for breakout year - ESPN

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
92 replies to this topic

#73 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

Moderators

Posted 17 May 2013 - 07:50 AM

I don't have a theory

When Gruden asked Cam about audibles, he didn't even know what it was

Rivera knew about this as much as Chud did, so they both take the blame

The QB makes those decisions even if they're small ones

“One thing he did do a little bit more of yesterday was change a couple plays at the line of scrimmage,” Rivera said. “I think he’s starting to get comfortable with those things. As he improves and learns those things, I think he’ll get better and better.”

lol cam didn't even know what an audible was? gtfo.

gruden, who ran a WCO which is known for having some of the most complicated and unnecessarily lengthy verbiage of any offense asked a QB who came from an one word/number, hurry up offense for an example of a typical play call that he would use at auburn and cam gave him one.

gruden didn't seem to think it was enough...go figure.

for the record, gruden has since gotten educated on the one word/hurry up offense, as has belichick and the pats who incorporated it because its better and quicker than using lengthy verbiage. gruden has said that he would use it when he returns to coaching.  lengthy verbiage is on the way out and one word/number playcalling will be the future.

#74 Promethean Forerunner

Promethean Forerunner

SENIOR HUDDLER

SUPPORTER

Posted 17 May 2013 - 10:15 AM

All of this arguing about audibles is getting ridiculous.

It is pretty evident that Cam was not calling audibles at the LOS. This could be for various reasons:

1. Cam's ability to read defenses and make quick audible decisions was not there, or
2. Chud was an ego maniac who refused to give up any control

Fact of the matter is that none of us know the reason.

Everyone hear is clamoring for Cam to be set loose and call more plays at the LOS. But, we don't know whether that would be a good thing or a bad thing. Those who slobber all over Cam believe that everyone is just holding him back. Others probably believe there was some level of valid reason for not letting Cam do this.

Personally, I am cautiously optimistic. The game really seemed to slow down for Cam in the 2nd half of last year. You saw him more comfortable....pressing less...making better decisions (why the interceptions went WAY down in the last 6 games).

It will be an interesting ride early in the season to see what Rivera and Shula do. With their relationship, Shula knows Cam and his abilities better than anyone. If he let's him loose, great. If he doesn't, it will be because he is flat out not ready.

Let's see what happens on the field....instead of arguing about poo that none of us has ANY fuging CLUE what we are talking about.

I'll argue what I want to argue, okay? Thanks.

If Cam were terrible at reading defenses then he would thrown more interceptions in his rookie year. Thus far, it hasn't been poor mechanics, erratic accuracy and/or low football IQ that has hindered Newton. Cam called numerous audibles at the LOS in 2011 and the result was mostly positive.

Now, do we know why Chud and Rivera did it? No. We don't have confirmation as to why, but the end result was quite noticeable. Cam threw over 170+ attempts without an interception and his completion percentage was in the 60s.

#75 thefuzz

thefuzz

coppin a feel

SUPPORTER

Posted 17 May 2013 - 10:35 AM

I would assume that Cam was limited in his audible calls because he didn't show proper aptitude for it in practice until later in the season. It is a learning curve for all young QBs. 

Just like everything else we see on the field on Sundays, its constructed on the practice field and the class room.

It sill to think Chud didn't allow audibles for any other reason.

This is my opinion as well.

Very few QB's can roll into the NFL and match wits with the defensive coordinators on their own.

It takes years to get a QB educated enough to deal with all the different D looks and movements (or lack thereof).

It's one of the reasons that I was nervous about drafting Cam, not ability, but experience.

#76 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 17 May 2013 - 01:22 PM

I'll argue what I want to argue, okay? Thanks.

You are correct. It is fully within your right to continue being a dumbass and argue about things that (1) you know poo about, and (2) have zero control over.

Not being able to read defenses pre-snap (how they were disguising coverages) is different than reading the defense and making the right call during the play. Therefore, your assertion that he would have thrown more interceptions is restarted.

So, continue as you were....we will just all continue to laugh at you.

#77 Razeyfingers

Razeyfingers

HUDDLER

Posted 17 May 2013 - 01:48 PM

Wow Im kind of blown away that he wouldnt get any options to audible. I mean, I get that the QB has to show the coach that he will do it at the right times when theyre looking at film first or whatever but, wow that takes away what I would have thought to be a factor in running an offense.

Sounds like youre trying to get your QB killed. At least have something go-to, at least give him one option. I mean, set snap with nooooooo. . nothin?

#78 Promethean Forerunner

Promethean Forerunner

SENIOR HUDDLER

SUPPORTER

Posted 17 May 2013 - 01:58 PM

You are correct. It is fully within your right to continue being a dumbass and argue about things that (1) you know poo about, and (2) have zero control over.

Not being able to read defenses pre-snap (how they were disguising coverages) is different than reading the defense and making the right call during the play. Therefore, your assertion that he would have thrown more interceptions is restarted.

So, continue as you were....we will just all continue to laugh at you.

If you are going to insult one's intelligence, please review your spelling.

As you were 'restarted', I am laughing at you.

#79 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

HUDDLER

Posted 17 May 2013 - 02:22 PM

If you are going to insult one's intelligence, please review your spelling.

As you were 'restarted', I am laughing at you.

Posting from an i-phone while in a very boring meeting.....made a spelling error.....ohhhhhh you really got me.

Doesn't change the fact that you wanting to continue arguing about something that you know nothing about is ridiculous.

But, to each his own.

Carry on.

#80 Promethean Forerunner

Promethean Forerunner

SENIOR HUDDLER

SUPPORTER

Posted 17 May 2013 - 02:41 PM

Posting from an i-phone while in a very boring meeting.....made a spelling error.....ohhhhhh you really got me.

Doesn't change the fact that you wanting to continue arguing about something that you know nothing about is ridiculous.

But, to each his own.

Carry on.

Hey, I'm just sayin'. If you're going to accuse someone of mental retardation, I suggest you don't make yourself look like an idiot in the process.

Fact: When Cam wasn't allowed to audible, he threw 8 INTs (only 6 TDs) and had a completion rate close to 55%. When he was finally allowed to audible, Newton threw only 4 INTs (compared to 13 TDs) and his completion percentage was clocked at 63%.

There's nothing ridiculous about it. Once again, the results speak for themselves.

#81 CatMan72

CatMan72

KEEP POUNDING

SUPPORTER

Posted 17 May 2013 - 03:00 PM

I think Yas sourced the huddle for this article, we were saying this just last week - if we can get a power run game going Cam will be unstoppable. 

#82 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

HUDDLER

Posted 17 May 2013 - 03:26 PM

I think Yas sourced the huddle for this article, we were saying this just last week - if we can get a power run game going Cam will be unstoppable. 

It is highly speculated that these media types frequent the Huddle and use our ideas.

lazy...but kind of smart.

#83 Mage

Mage

SUPPORTER

Posted 17 May 2013 - 03:47 PM

Zod is likely correct.  Newton didn't call audibles for the same reason many young quarterbacks do not call audibles.  People seem to forget that Newton only played 1 year of Division I football and they played on a number-based system.  Newton was 22 and 23 years old respectively in his 2 seasons with us.  And while Newton is certainly an intelligent guy, he isn't that bright of a guy, so it isn't like you can tell him to just go out there and change plays at the LOS as he wishes.  It was a learning curve everyone goes through.

Now, it wouldn't surprise me if Chudzinski did limit Newton's pre-play responsibilities but that might just be because of Newton's youth and inexperience.  Colin Kaepernick is the only one of the young quarterbacks whom I saw doing many audibles but keep in mind, just because you are calling audibles doesn't mean it is all on you.  It is very likely you are given one other play to check into, depending on the play that is initially called.  So you aren't able to change it to one of a wide variety of playcalls.  

Or maybe Chud just prefers for his plays to stick.  Some offenses/OCs are like that.  I don't think Brees changes the plays all that often with Payton (I could be wrong but I've never really noticed him doing so) but Eli does it quite a bit.  Or if you have watched Romo play, he'll audible a ridiculous amount... though a lot of it is also him adjusting the offensive line due to the issues at center the past 2 years (and I think the loss of Kalil hurt Newton a lot more than has been let on).  Either way, it isn't that big of a deal.

#84 Promethean Forerunner

Promethean Forerunner

SENIOR HUDDLER

SUPPORTER

Posted 17 May 2013 - 04:44 PM

Is Newton a brainiac like Peyton? Of course not, but Cam is quite resourceful with what the defense gives him. We saw that his Auburn days. He's proficient in his own way (after all, if he did break Manning's record in college too). Dilfer said it best regarding Cam late last year:

"I think a huge reason why Cam struggled earlier this year was because the offense wasn't letting Cam Newton be Cam Newton."