• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 MHS831

MHS831

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,038 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 12:04 PM

This reveals what we have not been doing--developing our lower draft picks.   Gettlemen gets it-he proved it in the draft.  Panther fans, for the most part, do not get it because we are of the mindset (Hurney influence) that the draft is to fill immediate, pressing needs.  Gettlemen sees the beauty of signing free agents to one-year deals to fill immediate needs.  He then reinforces that with pick for the future.  We give them 4-year rookie contracts-if you remove the pressure to perform instantly, you build the future.  Klein and Barner are excellent examples.  In 2 years, do you see Barner possibly being in the RB rotation?  DWill will be gone and Stewart will be starting to slow down.  Do you see Klein as a starter at LB in 2015?  Very possible--Davis will be 33 and Beason 31.  We will fill need positions with veterans who know the system and the coaches--not rookies we picked from a catalog. 

#17 Rubi

Rubi

Squid Smasher

• HUDDLER
  • 2,308 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 17 May 2013 - 12:18 PM

He blows assignments. How many times did Davis chew him out on the field last year? Even Rivera got into it w him. If he can smarten up in sure he will be at least above avg

#18 Fox007

Fox007

• HUDDLER
  • 8,811 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 12:37 PM

this is only an issue in very few occassions. how often do high jump balls where a WRs height advantage an issue?

i mean i guess you can point to roddy white jumping over haruki, but honestly the D should never have been put in that situation to begin with and a game should never come down to just one catch.

the vast majority of the time what is going to be needed is to make the QB second guess throwing it. you put pressure on the QB and make sure that the only window he has is just out of reach of the leaping ability of the DB and just barely within reach of the WR and he's probably going to be looking elsewhere. no QB is going to be able to hit that very often, esp. with the likes of CJ, hardy, alexander, star, short, and dwan breathing down his neck.

if we keep in nickel packages just the flooding of DBs and LBs controlling the field will be a massive hinderance to the QB. height won't play much of a factor.

It's not about jump balls, it's more about body position and blocking the defender with your arms/body.

See him trying to cover Tony G in the slot for example...all TG has to do is run then turn around and Capt is completely shielded from the ball and can only get there by running through the receiver.

It happens a lot to Capt.

The bigger WRs can just "post up" on Capt.

Smitty is the same height as Capt and wins jump balls all the time...

#19 TheJason

TheJason

Black & Blue in The Bay

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • LocationLivermore

Posted 17 May 2013 - 12:57 PM

One of the few late round drafts Hurney has had that wasn't immediately cut.

I think he does well this year playing nickle, spot starts, with a better front 7.

#20 Lt Pinkerton

Lt Pinkerton

Walker

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 03:54 PM

Remember who last year's PFF "Secret Superstar" was?

The one and only Greg Hardy.

#21 PantherPhann89

PantherPhann89

CPP "Carolina Panther Phann"

• HUDDLER
  • 3,283 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 17 May 2013 - 05:15 PM

Wow, those are some nice stats w/much improvement...

#22 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • 23,960 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina/Virginia

Posted 17 May 2013 - 08:42 PM

I actually suggested Captain Munnerlyn in the thread where we were picking players to step up. 

I don't like him as a number one or number two but I think he will legitimately prove that he is the best nickel corner in NFL.

I wouldn't be surprised if he performs well against Harvin, Cruz, Austin, Amendola etc...

#23 RelaxImaPro

RelaxImaPro

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,439 posts
  • LocationThe Moon

Posted 18 May 2013 - 07:27 AM

I said it all last season... time for Captain to get a promotion to Major Munnerlyn.

#24 Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan

• HUDDLER
  • 2,099 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 09:49 AM

thanks for the post, very interesting.

I really hope he continues to improve.  I hope Norman will as well.  I heard an interview in which Norman

said at the end of the season,  the coaches had taught him what he was doing wrong, and he had

the "light bulb" moment.  Too late for last season, but if it's true, it bodes well.  I had given up on Munnerlyn,

but maybe he's learning and improving.

The thing that worries me about Captain is maturity/intelligence....it's fine to fly around and talk poo, until you get 

flagged.  The above mentioned hit on the returner lends to this as well.

I don't expect all pro seasons ever for both, I'd be happy if they just didn't hurt the team.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com