Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Zod

Obama pulls a Bill Cosby

441 posts in this topic

you've dismissed and/or ignored every single causal factor presented in this thread. you refuse to explain why you've spammed that statistic, beyond linking a paper that reaches the exact same conclusions i've posted about in this very thread. it is crystal clear that "stressing family" is a bullshit, non-response (this having been argued in both evidence i've presented, as well as the single paper you've cited in this thread). at best, you stepped in shit in this thread, then doubled down, arguing to save face rather than to admit that you were wrong. at worst, you're implying some seriously awful shit about black people. until you explain your position, don't be upset when people assume that you first came across that statistic while perusing stormfront.

also, helpful tip: don't dispute one poster's argument that you disagree with by linking a paper that supports another poster's argument that you disagree with; it makes it look like you never bothered to read the paper that you cited.

Mainly because everything you have posted, while legitimate social issues, fails to address the question at hand.

Also, only a complete paranoid race obsessive person would assume it came from stormfront. Its everywhere in the media. You should calm down and not assume everyone has a white hood in their closet. I had never heard of stormfront before so I googled it the other day. Spent about thirty seconds on their site, shook my head, and haven't been back. Its sad such ignorance has such a large following.

All of your stances have come undone by the simple fact that things are worse now than they were from 1890-1960 when there was more racism, more oppression. more poverty, and less government programs. If anything it is a testament of how strong black families are, being able to survive much tougher times a century ago.

Yet you say today they are not capable of living lawful lives and raising strong families because of today's racism/oppression/effects of slavery. I don't accept that. History tells us not to accept that.

So what factors have caused a nose dive in minority marriages since 1960? I have no clue, but I know it is not the things you list because history tells us.

One theory is that welfare has contributed to the breakdown of not just black families, but all poor families. Black families are affected disproportionately because they are more likely to be in poverty, which I can certainly accept has to do with systematic racism/oppression/etc.

">" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

This guy is the one that brought this to my attention. Someone had posted it this video in an article discussing the issue on a news site. I found it much more plausible than the things you are saying, which doesn't hold up in a historical context.

It also makes sense in a historical sense as welfare became more prevalent in the 60's, exactly when poor families of all colors started to break down. Could government money have replaced the need for fathers of all colors in the home? I have no idea, but I am willing to listen, as long as it makes sense and is backed up by data.

I also think of it in terms of my own family. As I have said, I have family in this same situation. Poor, teen mothers, on government assistance, doesn't want to be married. I have to ask myself if there was no government assistance, would she be more likely to get married? I think she would have to. It would not be possible to be young, uneducated, and a mom on her own. It would require two parents in the home. I don't see how they could survive otherwise.

So what I am considering now is that the answer isn't just about black families, but families of all colors living in poverty. Could government assistance negated the need for women to be married and raise children. replacing the bread winner with itself? Maybe so. Is welfare needed? I think it is. So I have no idea how to go about fixing this issue.

I know I know... racist, stormfront, incarceration rates, bigot, etc.... go ahead, do your thing.

2 people like this

Out of curiosity, have we dogged on Native Americans yet?

Sigh

I now remember why I stopped coming to the tinderbox

:jc:

Disappointing.

One of the hundreds of lofty contributions per day from Delhommey

I mean they really suck at two parent homes too. Look at the stats: Both blacks and Native Americans are at the bottom of just about every meaningful statistic.

Just so happens that blacks and Native Americans are the two minorities that became part of America against their will and were both part of systematic and purposeful multi-Century campaigns of suppression that only ended in the official sense about a generation ago, but I'm sure that has nothing to do with what we're talking about.

Native Americans didn't sell their own to the highest bidder. Very distinct dif in the two.

Marriage rates were higher immediately after slavery ended up until the 60s.

There goes your theory.

But zod there was no websites back then to cut and paste from.

That time period didn't really happen.

Native Americans didn't sell their own to the highest bidder. Very distinct dif in the two.

They also didn't shove one another in ovens like us white people did, but I'm unsure what either point brings to the conversation other than a basic smear campaign.

You tried to compare two groups in the context of being forced. I simply pointed out the difference. Your volley got smashed for a point.

No smear amigo. Once the outrage and passion for solutions steers or at least gets comparable to the prison/no jobs/lack of education piece and gets applied then the rising tide raises all ships can take place.