Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Zod

Obama pulls a Bill Cosby

441 posts in this topic

I'd love to see the study in question, as well. I'm curious about the methodology.

I have a hard time believing black people are just less responsible than white people.  That seems to be the suggestion behind the numbers, though, if one rejects the idea of institutionalized racism.

Honest question that could derail this thread: Why throw in the bit about government healthcare?  I don't see what being on government healthcare has to do with being married;  I know people that are married and on government healthcare.  I am also from a different part of the country than you so I don't know all of what is involved with government healthcare there.

I have a hard time believing black people are just less responsible than white people.

I don't think they are. I think black adults are just as responsible as anyone else. But I don't feel teenagers of any race are very responsible.

Maybe it is that a good portion of the population is just stuck in this endless cycle of teenage pregnancy and haven't been able to break it? We know that babies born to teen parents are likely to be teen parents themselves no matter what the race. You just can't have any hope of economic success if you are a teen parent. The odds just stack up against you automatically. This keeps the teen moms in poverty and the cycle is passed on 15 years later.

Its an interesting question.

The good news is apparently things are getting better...

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/may/23/number-of-teens-having-babies-down-significantly/

What seems to help the American family more than anything is money, actually.

o77sr9.png

Cuts the % of single parent households in half if they're making 200% above the poverty threshold as a family. Granted, there's still a disparity there between African Americans and others, but I think I've already explained how the system today and the system their ancestors were in didn't exactly nurture strong family ties.

What seems to help the American family more than anything is money, actually.

o77sr9.png

Cuts the % of single parent households in half if they're making 200% above the poverty threshold as a family. Granted, there's still a disparity there between African Americans and others, but I think I've already explained how the system today and the system their ancestors were in didn't exactly nurture strong family ties.

Thats interesting. Why is the single parent household still twice that of other races even when money is not a problem? I don't buy its "the system" as Hispanics have it as hard if not harder due to the language barrier.

This is fun to watch.

10/10

Here is an interesting take from NC's own Thomas Sowell

http://youtu.be/g6IJV_0p64s?t=3m27s

and here he is saying the same thing in the 1980's in a debate....

Have we mentioned the fact that black males are incarcerated at 6.4 times the rate of white males? Just trying to keep up.

Have we mentioned the fact that black males are incarcerated at 6.4 times the rate of white males? Just trying to keep up.

Yep, that was brought up.

How bout the tyranny of the bail bond system?

The Bronx Defenders took a more aggressively experimental tack several years ago when, with little fanfare, they quietly spun off a nonprofit called the Bronx Freedom Fund.

After raising around $200,000, the fund began doing something at once simple and completely revolutionary: It bailed people out. When lawyers at the Bronx Defenders took on a client who couldn't make bail but wasn't considered a flight risk and wasn't charged with anything more serious than a misdemeanor or a nonviolent felony, they would refer him to Zoe Towns, the fund's only employee. If the defendant met the criteria, Towns would go down to the courthouse with a certified check and bail him out. When the defendant returned to court for his next hearing and the bail came back, it would be rolled back into the fund to help someone else.

The fund kept a low profile, in large part because its advisers worried that if judges and prosecutors knew that it existed, they might inflate bails to keep people in jail. But over the course of more than a year, the fund bailed out nearly 200 people. That was a tremendous boon for the defendants who could go home rather than stay locked up, but the project also generated some remarkable data.

First, the fund's numbers gave the lie to the assumption that defendants won't return to court if they don't have a personal relationship with the people posting bail for them. Ninety-three percent of the fund's clients showed up for every single one of their subsequent court hearings—a return rate higher than that of defendants who post their own bail or get commercial bail bonds.

But the really shocking revelation of the Freedom Fund experiment was this: More than half of the fund's clients eventually saw their cases either completely dismissed or knocked down to some noncriminal disposition. Not a single one ever went back to jail on the charges for which they were bailed out.

Without access to a bail fund, defendants in similar positions pleaded guilty to criminal charges 95 percent of the time. The fund's numbers made wincingly clear what everyone had already vaguely known: The current bail system has the direct effect of slapping criminal convictions on poor people who would otherwise win their cases.

The experiment didn't last. Eventually, a judge discovered the existence of the program and launched an investigation, ultimately ruling that the fund was illegal because it was effectively operating as an uninsured bail-bond company.

http://www.villagevoice.com/content/printVersion/3470694/