Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Obama pulls a Bill Cosby

441 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

A stable and positive family structure is necessary, but the single-parent is running into a strong head wind of gang influence/presense. I will admit that I haven't read into the Chicago problem, but I think the gang power must be crippled before any other positive programs could take hold.

I'm assuming that the gangs are recruiting kids (12-18) to fill the ranks. Probably through fear and coercion. A single mom (or aunt, uncle, grandparent) is going to have a tough time sheltering their child from gangs on the street, in the stores, maybe even in your building.

Kids need schools and after school programs. But instead of fully paid by taxpayers, I would get Corporations to match funds. School vouchers, after school programs, job training for the parents. While this is going on, Rahm needs to bust up the gangs. He needs a Chicago surge, his version of "New Way Forward".

Posted · Report post

It starts with a mother and father in the home engaged in the lives of their children.

I agree 100% although that's a broad statement that applies to everyone. Self reliance and self responsibility. It is also the duty of every BLACK mother and father to educate their children on the history of this country and the black man's history and struggle in this country. To not do so leaves their child unequipped to deal with a racist society like America.

There will never be enough money for schools and counselors to take the place of involved parents.

Who implied that?

I believe I read 70% of Chicago inner city school students live in a single parent home, usually the mother.

Link?

And can you provide a link that says the murder victims are all from single parent homes? Or the people who've been apprehended as the murderers? Or are you racially stereotyping?

Zod, not only do we need to think about the people who perpetuate crimes, but there are also victims. Hadiya Pendleton who was a part of Obama's re-inauguration ceremony was shot and killed in the street. It had nothing to do with how many parents were living in her home (she has 2). It had nothing to do with "personal responsibility", she was walking down the street. Your post is nice, but it really doesn't address how we make the streets SAFER for people WHO DONT COMMIT CRIMES. This is why I say economic empowerment, OWNERSHIP, self reliance, youth programs to keep kids off the streets, are important to this beyond just stereotyping the black family structure.

Posted · Report post

No mention of fathers in your solution?

Posted · Report post

No mention of fathers in your solution?

What about them?

Posted · Report post

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/39993685/ns/health-womens_health/t/blacks-struggle-percent-unwed-mothers-rate/#.UZqcMJyhA08

The black community's 72 percent rate eclipses that of most other groups: 17 percent of Asians, 29 percent of whites, 53 percent of Hispanics and 66 percent of Native Americans were born to unwed mothers in 2008, the most recent year for which government figures are available. The rate for the overall U.S. population was 41 percent.

http://datacenter.kidscount.org/data/acrossstates/Rankings.aspx?ind=107

nited States   scale.gif American Indian 53%   Asian or Pacific Islander 17%   Black or African American 67%   Hispanic or Latino 42%   Non-Hispanic White 25%   Two or More Races 42%   Total 35%  

look at Illinois...

Illinois   scale.gif American Indian S   Asian or Pacific Islander 10% list_dot_orange.gif Black or African American 74% list_dot_orange.gif Hispanic or Latino 37% list_dot_orange.gif Non-Hispanic White 22% list_dot_orange.gif Two or More Races 41% list_dot_orange.gif Total 34% list_dot_orange.gif

So 74% of black kids in Illinois do not have 2 parent homes. Don't you find that disturbing?

If you just google it there are lots of results. Me saying that the problems with the kids in inner cities could have something to do with the extremely high percentage of single moms is not stereotyping.

Asian kids typically do well in school and have low unemployment. Well, only 17% of Asian kids are in a single parent home. Makes sense.

Posted · Report post

Fix the unemployment rate that disproportionately affects blacks. When you dont work, you don't eat. And when people don't eat, they turn to a life of crime.

Stress economic empowerment and small business ownership in the black community. You speaking at Morehouse College a black elite school and not one word on ECONOMICS?

It's not on Obama to "fix the gang problem" thats been a part of Chicago for decades. But to not even mention it publicly or deem it a "national tragedy" says a lot. The murder rate is INSANE.

How do you fix that though? The unemployment rate for blacks with a college education is fairly low. The high unemployment problem in the black community is largely due to a significantly higher number of blacks not having college degrees or even high school degrees.

There simply aren't that many jobs that pay a decent wage available to people without a high school diploma or even a college degree these days.

The unskilled manufacturing jobs that used to provide those with lower levels of education a decent wage are gone and they're never coming back.

I'm not actually asking you to give me an answer on how to fix it, I'm just trying to make the point that I don't know how you actually fix that problem. High unemployment rate and poverty are absolutely the driving forces behind crime, but I don't know of any easy solution because we simply don't have a need for unskilled workers when we can outsource those jobs to other countries for much cheaper.

Posted · Report post

I dont see anything in your post talking about Chicago or the murder victims.

You posted 2 links to national stats about "unwed mothers" and "single parent" homes. Nothing stating that fathers are not present as 2 people do not have to be commonlaw married to have children. The government also considers homes of widowed women to be "single parents". It is true, blacks dont get married at the rate of whites, but they also dont have as high a divorce rate.

Zod you said you saw a link saying 70% of the inner city kids in Chicago came from "single parent" homes. Produce the link.

Basically you're implying that only women and children live in the inner city of Chicago and there are no men around at all.

Posted · Report post

How do you fix that though? The unemployment rate for blacks with a college education is fairly low. The high unemployment problem in the black community is largely due to a significantly higher number of blacks not having college degrees or even high school degrees.

Blacks do not control the HR departments or institutions that decide who gets jobs. There are plenty of qualified people unemployed black and white. So its not totally based on "qualifications". There has never been a point in US history where blacks have had a lower unemployment rate than whites outside of slavery era. Traditionally, when whites unemployment goes high, black unemployment goes even higher. The saying "last hired, first fired" applies to blacks. One way to fix it, is to stress ECONOMIC EMPOWERMENT and OWNERSHIP. Stop relying on white people to give you a job and create your own business. Invest in your own communities. Blacks spend a lot of dollars commercially, pooling some of that money into their own community would do a lot of good.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

I dont see anything in your post talking about Chicago or the murder victims.

You posted 2 links to national stats about "unwed mothers" and "single parent" homes. Nothing stating that fathers are not present as 2 people do not have to be commonlaw married to have children. The government also considers homes of widowed women to be "single parents". It is true, blacks dont get married at the rate of whites, but they also dont have as high a divorce rate.

Zod you said you saw a link saying 70% of the inner city kids in Chicago came from "single parent" homes. Produce the link.

Basically you're implying that only women and children live in the inner city of Chicago and there are no men around at all.

No, I am implying men are around, just not raising their sons. I posted the link for Illinois.

Shall we wager if the shooter of that innocent girl came from a broken home?

Posted · Report post

No, I am implying men are around, just not raising their sons. I posted the link for Illinois.

Shall we wager if the shooter of that innocent girl came from a broken home?

If they are around what are they doing Zod? I'd love to hear what you think is going on.

And yes you are racially stereotyping. 70% of people imprisoned for violent and sexual acts against kids are white. Is it safe to say there are a lot of kids being molested out there in Lake Norman because it is a predominately white area?

Stick to the FACTS and not racial stereotypes and assumptions.

Posted · Report post

You still aren't getting it.

Census data shows 74% of black homes in Illinois are single parent. That is not a stereotype, it is data.

I think it is a problem. You don't.

We can leave it at that.

Posted · Report post

Census data shows white males molest and commit violent acts against their children more than double that of blacks.

I think it is a problem. You don't acknowledge it.

What it is has to do with Chicago gang violence I do not know.

i asked you to provide a link that said 70% of the inner city kids in CHICAGO lived in single parent homes. Or a link stating that about the victims or those apprehended. You have not.

By the way, Charlotte's mayor is a product of a "single parent" inner city home. Explain to me why your theory doesnt apply to him?