#46 top dawg

top dawg

The Creative Cat

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,350 posts
  • LocationWITHIN MY MIND'S EYE

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:30 PM

i see people say this about players already on the team quite often and i've even said so myself in the past, but i'm more concerned with getting the best players on the field and winning than just seeing what some unknown commodities with promise have.

i'm more interested with winning than i am appeasing my curiousity re: young players.

if he's affordable and he can make us better....go get him. if the young guys can't beat him for a spot, move along.

Your last point shouldn't be understated. Young players need to step up and move the old guys out the way if they want to play. If they can't, then they need to continue to hone their skills with the second team, and learn from the sidelines.

#47 RoaringRiot

RoaringRiot

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,691 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:31 PM

Can't know how hard the schedule is until the season starts to play out.

I have seen seasons where the hardest schedule turned out to be middle of the pack.

yeah man...I hear ya.  But I feel pretty confident that it's going to be a brutal schedule.  The most winnable games are early - we haven't started out fast the past two seasons.  

#48 TripleTrouble

TripleTrouble

NEWB

• NEWB
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:32 PM

Cam fumbles or Nak does not brain fart.....we beat Atlanta.

Smitty does not fall down after we dominated Chicago all day....we beat Chicago

Cam does not throw the 4yd pass into the dirt instead of to a wide open Hartsock...we beat Seattle

Rivera does not brain fart and play prevent against TB (while up by 11 with 3 min to go)...we beat TB

This team was easily a 10 win team last season...plain and simple.

If we would have won 2-3 of those fluke games, we would be considered a contender this season.

Exactly.  I'm sure every team had a game or two where 1 play was the difference between a win or a loss.  We had 4.  On top of another record year for injuries.  This is a good team that needs to learn how to finish.  They finished games down the stretch last year.

#49 RoaringRiot

RoaringRiot

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,691 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:34 PM

They finished games down the stretch last year.

And until they start finishing games when they matter, then we can't just say they're a playoff team.  The talent is obviously there.  Now show us some pudding.  

#50 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 18,964 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:50 PM

Exactly.  I'm sure every team had a game or two where 1 play was the difference between a win or a loss.  We had 4.  On top of another record year for injuries.  This is a good team that needs to learn how to finish.  They finished games down the stretch last year.

Not like the Atlanta, Chicago, and Seattle game.

Those were more than making a play for a win.  Those were absolutely unlucky fluke plays that all went against us.

But, my point is still valid.  This team is talented and very close to the playoffs.  They are not a talent depleted team who is lucky to win 6-7 games.

#51 RoaringRiot

RoaringRiot

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,691 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:55 PM

I agree....I think we can lock in 9-10.  But 9-10 doesn't get you in the playoffs in the NFC right now.  

#52 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 18,964 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 21 May 2013 - 03:11 PM

I agree....I think we can lock in 9-10.  But 9-10 doesn't get you in the playoffs in the NFC right now.  

I still think 10-11.....and right there for a WC spot.

#53 DaveThePanther2008

DaveThePanther2008

Member from WAAAYY Back

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,363 posts
  • LocationMelfa

Posted 21 May 2013 - 03:17 PM

yeah man...I hear ya.  But I feel pretty confident that it's going to be a brutal schedule.  The most winnable games are early - we haven't started out fast the past two seasons.  

Lets put the schedule crap to bed.

We are ALWAYS going to be near the top in the hardest schedule when we are in the NFC South. As long as these 4 teams beat up on each other it will be that way.

Take the NFC South out of the equation and we are middle of the road. 

3 - 3 last year and should be no less than that this season. 

#54 RoaringRiot

RoaringRiot

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,691 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 21 May 2013 - 03:22 PM

Lets put the schedule crap to bed.

We are ALWAYS going to be near the top in the hardest schedule when we are in the NFC South. As long as these 4 teams beat up on each other it will be that way.

Take the NFC South out of the equation and we are middle of the road. 

3 - 3 last year and should be no less than that this season. 

Why would you put the "schedule crap to bed" when you're talking about the team making the playoffs?  That makes zero sense.  If we're fighting for a Wild Card spot (and it seems like that's our best shot - on paper) then it has all the relevance in the world.  If we got to play the Rams and Cardinals twice a year then wouldn't you say that would increase our chances on making a Wild Card?  

#55 RoaringRiot

RoaringRiot

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,691 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 21 May 2013 - 03:30 PM

Plus if you're giving us 3-3 in our Division this year...that only leaves 3 more games we can lose to match last year's bottom Wild Card team.  And 10 wins isn't even a guarantee.....ask Chicago.  So again....the schedule is absolutely relevant.  

#56 DaveThePanther2008

DaveThePanther2008

Member from WAAAYY Back

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,363 posts
  • LocationMelfa

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:08 AM

Why would you put the "schedule crap to bed" when you're talking about the team making the playoffs?  That makes zero sense.  If we're fighting for a Wild Card spot (and it seems like that's our best shot - on paper) then it has all the relevance in the world.  If we got to play the Rams and Cardinals twice a year then wouldn't you say that would increase our chances on making a Wild Card?  

Because as long as you play in the NFC South you are going to have one of the toughest schedules.  Unless someone goes 2-14 like we did.  When teams are neck and neck like we are the schedule is going to be tough.

Plus the schedule is based on the previous season and how often do we have a turnaround in the playoffs.  So while you say so in so is a tough team.  In the end you have to base your team off this year NOT LAST YEAR. 

The toughness of schedule is nothing more than the medias way of trying to figure out who will be where. 

I can guarantee you the coaches and players could give a rats ass about the toughness of the schedule.  In fact, it is IRRELEVANT.

You use schedule to justify why you think we will win or lose this season.  What you should be doing is going down the rosters of the teams we are playing and seeing what they added and what they lost to give yourself a better determination on who is tough.  Not last season record. 

#57 RoaringRiot

RoaringRiot

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,691 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:38 AM

You use schedule to justify why you think we will win or lose this season.  What you should be doing is going down the rosters of the teams we are playing and seeing what they added and what they lost to give yourself a better determination on who is tough.  Not last season record. 

ummm......this is exactly what I am doing and what my previous post was.  You give us 3-3 in the Division....which is going to be tough, but doable.  I would argue that all of the teams in our Division have gotten tougher.  

Then let's look at all the teams who have gotten better:  Seattle, San Fran, Miami, Minnesota.  

New England and NY Giants, while they may have not gotten better, are still no slouch.  

So that gives us six teams on our schedule that are very difficult match-ups and/or who have improved their rosters from last year.  We have to go no worse than .500 in those games to just have a shot at the playoffs and 10 wins is still no guarantee.  

Still trying to figure out who that's irrelevant.   

#58 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 25,380 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:46 AM

He was available when we signed Flo. If he was gonna be a panther it wouldve happened

We had no money when we signed Flo....and Flo isn't on Jammers level.

#59 TripleTrouble

TripleTrouble

NEWB

• NEWB
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 10:22 AM

Not like the Atlanta, Chicago, and Seattle game.

Those were more than making a play for a win.  Those were absolutely unlucky fluke plays that all went against us.

But, my point is still valid.  This team is talented and very close to the playoffs.  They are not a talent depleted team who is lucky to win 6-7 games.

I was agreeing with you.

#60 DaveThePanther2008

DaveThePanther2008

Member from WAAAYY Back

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,363 posts
  • LocationMelfa

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:11 AM

ummm......this is exactly what I am doing and what my previous post was.  You give us 3-3 in the Division....which is going to be tough, but doable.  I would argue that all of the teams in our Division have gotten tougher.  

Then let's look at all the teams who have gotten better:  Seattle, San Fran, Miami, Minnesota.  

New England and NY Giants, while they may have not gotten better, are still no slouch.  

So that gives us six teams on our schedule that are very difficult match-ups and/or who have improved their rosters from last year.  We have to go no worse than .500 in those games to just have a shot at the playoffs and 10 wins is still no guarantee.  

Still trying to figure out who that's irrelevant.   

Not once have you mentioned the other rosters.  You mentioned Strength of Schedule.  SOS is based on last year.   Please don't chance your direction and then imply my opinion is irrelevant.

Your point, I think, that you are trying to make, is all these teams got better and we didn't?  While these teams may have added Big Names and did well in the draft. I am saying we did just as well in adding players that will make our Top 10 defense better and our 12th ranked offense (should have been higher had we not had a OC with his head up his arse, but that is a different topic) better.

There is no guarantee any will be better then the other. Adding a big name free agent doesn't mean they got better.   Other teams dump these players for a reason.  Just like we did with Gamble.  Not worth the money we are paying them so we dump em.  Free agents are flawed in a sense.  Adding the big name doesn't mean squat to me. 

My point is,  I believe we added players to our roster that will contribute just as much as any player OTHER teams have added to theirs. 

So SOS means nothing... What others have added do.  It just an opinion whether they will make the splash that they are hoping for. 

If Rivera has his poo together then there isn't one team out there, with the players we have added, that we cannot beat. NOT ONE.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com