• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#76 CarolinaNCSU

CarolinaNCSU

• ALL-PRO
  • 5,393 posts
  • LocationRaleigh

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:01 PM

If Oladipo becomes more competent on offense, he's the best player in the draft hands down. 

#77 SOJA

SOJA

Official Panthers Fan

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,227 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:12 PM

double post

#78 SOJA

SOJA

Official Panthers Fan

• HUDDLER
  • 10,227 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:14 PM

I don't like this. we need scoring. Oldapido is a great player, but we really don't need him. I think MKG has more potential

you make a decent point May 24th version of me, but now you are a month more intelligent and know that Oladipo's potential is great.

you also said Oldapido idiot

#79 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • 25,295 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina/Virginia

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:30 PM

Lol @ SOJA talking to himself.

#80 carpanfan96

carpanfan96

play hard, hit harder

• ALL-PRO
  • 11,691 posts
  • LocationConcord, NC

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:55 PM

He's got the highest upside of anyone in the draft and is really the only one in the draft as it looks right now that has elite superstar potential. 

#81 koolkatluke

koolkatluke

• HUDDLER
  • 7,847 posts
  • LocationNonya

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:24 PM

He's got the highest upside of anyone in the draft and is really the only one in the draft as it looks right now that has elite superstar potential. 

What???

#82 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 19,678 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:26 PM

Oladipo himself said he doesn't see himself as an all-star player, but instead a very good role player. So, tell me how he has elite superstar potential. I dont believe the D-Wade comparison a bit.

#83 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 19,678 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:29 PM

I would not mind Oladipo, but I would have to convince myself to like him.

He's the same player as MKG and Hendo. At this point, we need a BIG or a good shooter/scorer. Oladipo improved at Indiana, but is still raw offensively.

#84 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • 25,295 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:43 PM

Oladipo would be a great guy on a team that doesn't need to be a go to scorer.

He would be a perfect fit for OKC (too bad that can't happen).

We really need a scoring threat, whether that be in the post with a guy like Len or on the wing with a guy like McLemore.

#85 TANTRIC-NINJA

TANTRIC-NINJA

The holy ghost of Mr. Miyagi

• HUDDLER
  • 6,374 posts
  • LocationColumbia, South Kacky

Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:58 PM

This draft: Olidontknow anymore..

Still for Len but if he is gone it Oli and Bennett for me.

#86 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • 25,295 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 01:34 AM

Oladipo is a great competitor, a fierce defender, and a very good slasher.

If this sounds familiar, it is; because this is what most of us were saying about MKG last year before and after the draft.

I actually wanted MKG and thought that those traits that I mentioned above would make up for the fact that he couldn't shoot worth a lick.

So as I address Oladipo, I am going to address him as a shooting guard because that's the position he would play if he were selected by the BuzzCats.

One thing that every shooting guard needs is an outside shot. So I'm strictly going to limit my assessment of Oladipo based on his outside shot (at first).

Oladipo shot 44% from the three point line, which is great on paper. However, Oladipo only averaged 1.9 three point shots per game meaning that if he made at least one three point shot per game; his average would not fluctuate.

To put this in perspective, the other top shooting guard in the draft: Ben McLemore averaged 4.7 three point shots per game while making 42% of his three point shots.

If you want to dig even further, Oladipo only recorded three games (out of 36) where he recorded multiple three point buckets and the most three pointers he ever made in a single game was two. In comparison, Ben McLemore recorded 17 games (out of 34, half) where he recorded multiple three point buckets including six games where he recorded 4 three point baskets or more (McLemore also had two games where he recorded 6 three point baskets).

Oladipo is certainly a very good player, after all his average on his two point field goals is an astonishing 64% on 6.6 two point field goal attempts per game. Now if a common guy like me can figure out that Oladipo is flat out ridiculous from two point range, don't you think that NBA coaches will find that out as well? I am almost willing to guarantee you that Oladipo will be picked up at the three point line in a man-to-man defense and played with a two foot cushion so that he is forced to take the three point shot or pass the ball. Remember NBA shooting guards aren't going to be as slow of reactors to Oladipo's quick drives and slashes as NCAA shooting guards are.

Now I feel like some of you might say, "defenders are just going to play McLemore at the three point line," so I decided to look into the topic. After looking at all the shooting guards that are figured to be drafted (McLemore, Oladipo, McCollum, Caldwell-Pope, Hardaway Jr, Franklin, Crabbe, Jackson, Ledo, Green, Goodwin, Abrines, Nedovic, and Young), McLemore's 55.3% on 6.1 field one goal attempts per game is second to only Oladipo (or third to Albrines depending on how you view his stats).

I went a head and read some columns and watched a few games that I had DVR'd at home (I always DVR big games) to find out that though McLemore does struggle on the single dribble and shoot technique, he is actually pretty good at creating his own shot and driving to the hole. This assessment leads me to believe that defenders will have to play McLemore as a true all-around shooting guard or he will burn them.

Finally McLemore averaged a whole 10.8 field goal attempts per game to Victor Oladipo's 8.4 field goal attempts per game. This leads me to believe that McLemore has no problem being the go-to-guy as he averages nearly 11 shots per game. If you actually do the math, (4.7 three point attempts plus 6.1 two point attempts) you can see that McLemore averages around 26 points worth of shots per game. On the contrary, it looks like Oladipo does not have a problem deferring a shot to a teammate, which isn't a bad thing if he is playing on a team like OKC. However, with a team like the BuzzCats that could potentially have Biyombo and MKG out on the floor at the same time, you don't want another player on the court that doesn't mind passing up the ball or can't get off a three point jumper at the end of the game.

So the question is, do you want to wait three to four years for Oladipo to develop a three point jumper (that's about the time frame that Henderson developed his), and could potentially be a Dwayne Wade type of player? Or do you want McLemore, who will get you 15 points night in and night out; while reminding you of a young Ray Allen?

I hope this helped some of you guys out.

By the way, I'm an Alex Len guy; mainly because I really like Henderson and I'm desperate for a dominant big man. I just did this for research purposes. Maybe I can put it in a column at school for my coaching stats class if you guys think it's good enough.

#87 Darknight

Darknight

Official Rep Keeper

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts
  • LocationKinston

Posted 26 June 2013 - 01:41 AM

I'd love it.  Add Jabari next year to play the 4, sign or draft a Center and the Hornets can take the court with one hell of a young core. 

Jabari is too small to play the 4 not unless you want to play small ball.

#88 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • 25,295 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 01:43 AM

Jabari is too small to play the 4 not unless you want to play small ball.

That's what a lot of people are saying he will play at Duke...

Unless of course you guys want to see DumbThree get dominated every game haha.

#89 Darknight

Darknight

Official Rep Keeper

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts
  • LocationKinston

Posted 26 June 2013 - 01:49 AM

That's what a lot of people are saying he will play at Duke...

Unless of course you guys want to see DumbThree get dominated every game haha.

In College, I can see him playing the 4. He is 6'8" and weighs around 220-225 pounds. I don't think many people can match up with that in College but I don't think he can get away with playing the 4 in the NBA.

#90 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • 25,295 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 02:05 AM

In College, I can see him playing the 4. He is 6'8" and weighs around 220-225 pounds. I don't think many people can match up with that in College but I don't think he can get away with playing the 4 in the NBA.

Good point, as a UNC fan it pains me to say this but y'all's team looks scary good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users