Hornets (feels good to say that) hire Steve Clifford as coach

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#41 PantherAZ

PantherAZ

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 27 May 2013 - 10:27 PM

Do not want Howard. Great defender, and athlete, but egotistical and immature. Not something needed with a bunch of young guns

All true, but still do want.

#42 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationNorth Carolina/Virginia
HUDDLER

Posted 27 May 2013 - 10:28 PM

Do not want Howard.  Great defender, and athlete, but egotistical and immature.  Not something needed with a bunch of young guns

He wasn't always like that, he was one of the best players in the NBA when he was in Orlando and him and SVG weren't clashing.

#43 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

• LocationKurby
HUDDLER

Posted 27 May 2013 - 11:09 PM

He wasn't always like that, he was one of the best players in the NBA when he was in Orlando and him and SVG weren't clashing.

Yea, agree. Howard started being immature his last year with Orlando. That was the only way he could get out. Its still hard to see that he picks us but money talk.

#44 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• LocationNorth Carolina/Virginia
HUDDLER

Posted 27 May 2013 - 11:14 PM

Clifford is obviously a players coach...

Looks like J.J. wants to come to Charlotte

JJ Redick: Huge congrats to Steve Clifford on getting the Charlotte head coaching job! Enjoyed working with him for 5 yrs in Orlando. Great hire. Twitter @JJRedick

Quentin Richardson might want to come to Charlotte too

Quentin Richardson: Congrats to Coach Steve Clifford on getting hired as Head Coach of the Charlotte Bobcats!Twitter @QRich

John Ireland is an L.A. sportscaster

John Ireland: Congrats to Lakers assistant Steve Clifford--new head coach in Charlotte. 1 of the rare guys in sports who everybody likes. Well deserved. Twitter @LAIreland

#45 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

SUPPORTER

Posted 27 May 2013 - 11:17 PM

In the shotgun research I have done on this guy I have learned he is going to coach from the defensive side out and he is going to demand toughness from everyone, but especially our bigs.

I think I like this hire.  Hard to tell with assistants, but I would like to see us play more of our offense from the post, and to be tougher physically inside on both sides of the ball.

#46 Vagrant

Vagrant

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 28 May 2013 - 12:18 AM

As much as I'd like to think of how awesome that would be when omitting the personality factor with Howard, I can't...  Dude is a train wreck, and I'd prefer not to blow all of our cap room on a guy that isn't sure he's a franchise player himself and defers both blame and responsibility on others constantly.

The thing about Howard is that he was fine in Orlando. He's not the first guy to lose his mind in a market too big for his personality. I am not a defender of his, but a move back to a small market may be exactly what the doctor ordered for him getting his focus back on basketball and away from the circus in LA. He was a professional on and off the court in Orlando until it went bad and he played there a long time. I'm sure that Charlotte will sniff out the options there, but I don't expect him to realistically consider playing here. It would be pretty obvious that he wanted to run away from pressure.

#47 KillerKat

KillerKat

To Hell With Bell

HUDDLER

Posted 28 May 2013 - 06:27 AM

So this is good right?

#48 OchoNueve

OchoNueve

for those of you that don't habla espanol...

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationCharlotte
HUDDLER

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:57 AM

Love the NBA resume and references that have come along with the Clifford hire so far. 

2000–2001 New York Knicks (advance scout) 2001–2003 New York Knicks (assistant) 2003–2007 Houston Rockets (assistant) 2007–2012 Orlando Magic (assistant) 2012–2013 Los Angeles Lakers (assistant) 2013–present Charlotte Bobcats

Clifford has paid his dues (in the NBA) and seems to have been liked and well-respected at each place he coached (by both players and coaches).  He has a similar style of Tom Thibideau in emphasizing defense, hustle, and good fundamental basketball.  Most importantly, this is a guy that has been coveted by other teams currently searching for a head coach.  Clifford was a finalist for the Blazers coaching gig last season and has interviewed with the Suns and was scheduled to have his 2nd interview the the Bucks today before we inked him last night.

Whether Clifford is the right man for the job here is yet to be seen, but I think the pressure has now shifted to our front office in order to bring in some talent and allow a coach to actually have a few years to implement his system and culture to our organization instead of continuing the revolving door of coaches we have seen in previous seasons. 

How the Hornets spend there cap space in this coming offseason alone is going to forge our identity for the next 4-5 seasons as Cho has finally created the flexibility with our cap to go in multiple directions.  With the name change, cap room, multiple picks in the next 3 drafts, and our new hire of Clifford, I think the Hornets are going to continue to improve and become a perennial playoff team.   

#49 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

The Thread Killer (Since 2004)

Moderators

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:13 AM

Another vote of confidence:

Hidayet Turkoglu: Congrats to Steve Clifford on becoming head coach for Charlotte! Hard working guy, well deserved. Twitter @hidoturkoglu15

Man, this is A LOT different than the Dunlap hire, where most tweets were like, "who the F is this guy?"

#50 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

MFCEO

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:31 AM

This is a solid hire. Young, eager, capable, and been with winning programs.

Name recognition isn't everything. Pat Riley started out as an announcer. Everyone starts somewhere.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users