Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PhillyB

Why Do You Believe What You Believe? - - a thread to expound on your ideological background and how it has shaped your belief system(s)

155 posts in this topic

as crazy and dysfunctional mine was, i wouldn't trade it for anyones.

Mine was not nearly as crazy or dysfunctional as some, but it had some huge issues, and I still wouldn't trade it.

I would be afraid to change any part of my life so far too much because I have no idea what the fug I would be today if I change any of the major events in my life at all.

My experiences have definitely shaped who I am. These days, I'm nothing but a father and provider. I don't use any illicit drugs of any sort, and haven't for years. I very rarely drink, I don't generally even keep alcohol in the house. I have no delusions that for the majority of the time from age 18-25ish, I was anything but a complete criminal waste of space. I think when we found out that Rachael was pregnant for the second time, I latched onto it as a chance to give my life some sort of meaning. I had always wanted children, but I had always wanted to be secure first. I saw this as an opportunity to force myself into normalcy, if that makes sense. Having my daughter was the best thing that ever happened to me. I have little doubt that I would have yet to have turned my life around without her. 

7 people like this

Jesus Christ some of you have way too much free time

It's good to know you aren't too busy to make worthless comments in a thread you apparently don't care anything about. ;)

1 person likes this

I'm an Independent with many Liberal beliefs, I also practice Buddhism. fug me right?

so could we accurately say that to a huge extent, direct experiences shape viewpoints?

no question. how could it not?

yes, though I personally believe that reading and trying to understand others experiences can also shape your viewpoint.

1 person likes this

so could we accurately say that to a huge extent, direct experiences shape viewpoints?

how do you account for things like the myth of the welfare queen, something the vast majority of ppl who believe in such a thing haven't even come close to experiencing.

how do you account for things like the myth of the welfare queen, something the vast majority of ppl who believe in such a thing haven't even come close to experiencing.

the fallibility of learned experience and interpretation of direct experience.