Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Preseason Important or Not?

33 posts in this topic

Posted

Let's not overlook how important the preseason is it terms of revenue for teams and the league. TV, advertising, marketing, merchandizing, ticket sales, etc.  It's a huge money maker.  Sometimes I think the profit generating system that the NFL has created becomes more important than the welfare of players.  THe preseason seems to symbolize that for me more than anything.

It is also important as a way to assess talent and acclimate players to full speed game situations.  It's a good time to see what works and what doesn't in a relatively risk free environment (from a coaching standpoint).

For players, though, it isn't ideal.  Who really wants to play in games that have little consequence and risk injury.  Often the very best players in the league sit out long stretches in the preseason.  The on-field product that fans are practically forced to pay for is of a decidedly lesser quality.

To me the solution to all of this is to reduce the number of preseason games to 2.  Only week 1 and 3 of the preseason are truly useful for all parties involved (week 2 is usually more experimental and week 4 is for scrubs).

I would love it if the league went to an 18 game schedule, but I can live without it.  4 weeks is too many.  That is where it becomes mostly about profits and self-promotion.  Change it to 2 (18 games or just 16) and I think the league would be even sharper and more attuned to the needs of fans, players, and owners.

I also like the idea of a shorter pre season but it would suck for some of these bubble guys and undrafted guys that have half the time to make a name for themselves.

Posted

The question shouldn't be is preseason important..... it should be are we going to have a training camp/preseason with some intensity? That was the biggest reason for the slow start last season. no one really seemed to be motivated or challenged in camp. Maybe with Riveria's head on the chopping block the team will show up with some attitude.

Posted

I think preseason will be fun this year. I am looking forward to all the battles at positions like receiver and secondary. It will be important to see how guys like Norman plays or Coles after being out of the league for 2 years. Those guys are going to be important this year as potential starters.

Posted

it's important for "die hard" steelers and redskins fans in the carolinas who have never seen their team in person

2 people like this

Posted

it's important for "die hard" steelers and redskins fans in the carolinas who have never seen their team in person

That is the truth. They take the game so seriously because this is the only time they will see them. Especially all the huge Steeler chicks with loud mouths and no class or should that be loud mouths and fat asses.

Posted

As previously stated, preseason is much too long.  It should be nothing more than getting rookies' feet wet in live game scenarios.  The starters should never be in for more than a couple series in each game.  The rest of the time should look like summer league basketball.  Losing a top player in the preseason is like busting your nut before you can even get it out of your pants.

1239788892_jizz-in-my-pants.gif

Posted

I love the preseason.  I love watching younger players get a chance to play even if it is against poor competition.  And that is why preseason is important.  It's a tune up for the starters and its a chance for young players to get some game experience.

Problem is that some people get to caught up in whether we win or lose, while others, will just ignore terrible performances and write it off as "it's just preseason".

Theres a thin gray area that I wish everyone could see.  Of course if the offense comes out and can't move the ball theres reason to be concerned.  Yes, its "vanilla" football but it shows that the offense isn't where it needs to be (hence the slow starts during the season).  However, there are tons of caveats that could explain the poor performance.  The Patriots never look that great during the preseason.  But for a young team with a young QB execution is paramount.

In the same breath, wins and losses don't really mean much.  I mean, we'd all love to win, thats ultimately the reason that you step on the field.  I don't care if its preseason, regular season, or backyard football, if you aren't trying to win then you should just hang it up.  And that's exactly why some teams who win all four games can go into the season a little more confident a may play better.  Or they come in a bit more relaxed and play worse.  It's a toss up but ultimately means very little.

But I'm sure we will hear the token cliche's all through august.  "vanilla"..."it's just preseason"..."we're doomed"..."he sucks"  are all my favorites.

Posted

So which one of you guys who thinks it's important wants to give me face value for my preseason game tickets? :)

2 people like this

Posted

I think you guys are missing the main reason preseason is important; it's important because the preseason is long and we are all ready to watch football.  Even if it is low quality preseason.

Posted

So which one of you guys who thinks it's important wants to give me face value for my preseason game tickets? :)

Lol, I was gonna say the same thing.

For as many people that say it's important, not many people go to the game.

Posted

the thing that sucks about preseason games is that they can't afford to drop the price of the tickets because cost of operating everything doesn't go down just because the game doesn't count.

the other thing that sucks is that since people are still paying full price for those meaningless games there's no reason to go down.

Posted

Not really. They should have dropped it to only two games years ago. Goodell tried to push them back to 2 games and add 2 more regular season games back in 2011 with the CBA, which didn't go over well at all lol.

Regardless this board will be in full panic/fire mode if our offense and defense isn't completely dominating.