Photo
* * * - - 1 votes

Ron Jaworski thinks Cam Newton is the 18th best QB in football.

• Please log in to reply
234 replies to this topic

#211 CatMan72

CatMan72

KEEP POUNDING

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,924 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:09 AM

I think RG3 is still HIGHLY suspect because I remember reading something from Greg Cosell (in a series of tweets I believe) about how RG3 was getting "basic training camp reads" for the better part of the season.

He credited Shanahan's brilliance in designing an offense to create such basic reads for his rookie QB but noted that this approach has a very short shelf life and we had yet to see what RG3 can do when opponents forced him to make more complex reads.

I'm sure Cosell isn't the first person in NFL circles to realize this after breaking down a season's worth of RG3's tape and you can't hide your QB for very long, so this coming season will be very interesting... 

#212 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 36,922 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 11 July 2013 - 01:10 PM

Yup, pump the brakes on the rookies and Kaep until we see what they look like after year 2 when opponents have had plenty of time to dissect their tape.I think Kaep and RG3 are the most likely to have some major flaws exposed.

I'm not convinced RG3 stays healthy on the field long enough to have his flaws exposed.

#213 panthers34

panthers34

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 04:23 PM

Cam will only get the respect he deserves when the team wins 10 games and are NFC South Champions. Or at least get to the playoffs

I agree

#214 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 36,922 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 11 July 2013 - 04:30 PM

Im not a troll Red. I am someone who looks at Panthers AND Cam objectively. I know thats real hard for some of you but not for me. Cam is not respected in the NFL and its his own fault. Remember, he wanted to be an icon...an entertainer, instead of a team leading qb. It was always about him, not the team. Thats why he has so much negative publicity. If Cam wants to be a captain then he should stop showing his underoo's above his pants, take the price tags off his hat, stop listening to crap music and stop letting a kid bitch slap him on public tv.

You'd be wiser to accept being labelled a troll.

The alternative is being labelled a total idiot.

#215 auburnman

auburnman

NOT NEWB

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationLA

Posted 12 July 2013 - 03:20 PM

Interesting thread (and a couple of the members)...my first post here...anyway, regarding the original post, I respect Ron J's football analysis in general, but to have Romo, Cutler or even RGIII above Cam is ridiculous.  Even Kaepernick...he might continue his run and prove to be a great QB but right now he is a "good" QB on a phenomenal football team.  

Ron puts this at the end of his explanation of Cam; “Few quarterbacks are as talented as Newton. He’s a dual-threat quarterback with the ability to beat you with his arms and his legs." Then rates him 18th...

#216 tiger7_88

tiger7_88

old skool SWAG

• HUDDLER
  • 4,214 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 04:12 PM

Interesting thread (and a couple of the members)...my first post here...anyway, regarding the original post, I respect Ron J's football analysis in general, but to have Romo, Cutler or even RGIII above Cam is ridiculous.  Even Kaepernick...he might continue his run and prove to be a great QB but right now he is a "good" QB on a phenomenal football team.  

Ron puts this at the end of his explanation of Cam; “Few quarterbacks are as talented as Newton. He’s a dual-threat quarterback with the ability to beat you with his arms and his legs." Then rates him 18th...

That's because Jaworski considers it a NEGATIVE if you have more talent in your little finger running the ball than he ever dreamed about passing the ball.

#217 chef17

chef17

Senior Asshole

• HUDDLER
  • 3,502 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 04:21 PM

How is it ridiculous for Romo to be above Cam?

#218 auburnman

auburnman

NOT NEWB

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationLA

Posted 12 July 2013 - 04:47 PM

How is it ridiculous for Romo to be above Cam?

Ok ridiculous may be a bit strong, but Romo has had a lower QB rating than CAM 2 of the 4 or 5 years he has played...comparing there running stats is not even close and IS ridiculous to even try and compare...Rushing is part of the QB game, at least for some QBs in the NFL, whether Ron or anyone else wants to acknowledge it.  It may be a fad and it may not always be the smartest but when Cam is getting 35 TDs per season (pass and run) and Romo is getting in the teens or twenties passing and running, i think an argument can be made for Cam.  I know i would rather have Cam on my team any day over Romo.  Romo has been surrounded by talent and has not capitalized on it.

#219 auburnman

auburnman

NOT NEWB

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationLA

Posted 12 July 2013 - 04:53 PM

That's because Jaworski considers it a NEGATIVE if you have more talent in your little finger running the ball than he ever dreamed about passing the ball.

EXACTLY!  and this was my point.  These old school guys, base their rating on pure passers for the most part..they disdain and look down on the RGIIIs and Cams, but there success and growth/demand is undeniable.  Yes you still have to be a passer and be accurate, but these combination QBs like the above are far more valuable imo.  RGIII and Cam are both on teams that have more holes than Romo or some of these other clowns Ron loves.  Cam isnt the greatest QB in the NFL (right now), but I would put him in my top 10...especially if he could get ONE good receiver under the age of 34.

#220 chef17

chef17

Senior Asshole

• HUDDLER
  • 3,502 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 05:24 PM

Ok ridiculous may be a bit strong, but Romo has had a lower QB rating than CAM 2 of the 4 or 5 years he has played...comparing there running stats is not even close and IS ridiculous to even try and compare...Rushing is part of the QB game, at least for some QBs in the NFL, whether Ron or anyone else wants to acknowledge it.  It may be a fad and it may not always be the smartest but when Cam is getting 35 TDs per season (pass and run) and Romo is getting in the teens or twenties passing and running, i think an argument can be made for Cam.  I know i would rather have Cam on my team any day over Romo.  Romo has been surrounded by talent and has not capitalized on it.

I have no idea where you're getting your numbers but Romo's lowest QB rating was 90.5 compared to Cam's highest of 86.2. Excluding the season he was injured Romo is getting 28.5 TDs a season compared to Cam getting 31. Romo has 17.7 turnovers a season compared to Cam's 17. Their numbers are pretty close. And Romo's 64.7 completion % is much better than Cam's 58.9. Take just Romo's recent play (since logically the list should be based on who is better currently) and his numbers get slightly better. Romo ahead of Cam isn't nearly as bad as you seem to think.

#221 auburnman

auburnman

NOT NEWB

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationLA

Posted 12 July 2013 - 05:47 PM

I have no idea where you're getting your numbers but Romo's lowest QB rating was 90.5 compared to Cam's highest of 86.2. Excluding the season he was injured Romo is getting 28.5 TDs a season compared to Cam getting 31. Romo has 17.7 turnovers a season compared to Cam's 17. Their numbers are pretty close. And Romo's 64.7 completion % is much better than Cam's 58.9. Take just Romo's recent play (since logically the list should be based on who is better currently) and his numbers get slightly better. Romo ahead of Cam isn't nearly as bad as you seem to think.

I am quoting their QBR (QB Rating) you are quoting their RAT (Total Passer Rating)...I can send you the stats if you like.  I didnt say it was that bad, as you say, many of their stats are comparable, with Romo having a slight edge in passing and experience... I took away the ridiculous claim, and see your points, but when you include rushing and rushing TDs with the whole picture, since that is a large part of Cam's game, I just think Cam is better than Romo in a "ranking game" and given two equally talented football teams, i would choose Cam as my QB any day.

#222 OnlyPantherFaninMaine

OnlyPantherFaninMaine

All In.

• HUDDLER
  • 5,857 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY

Posted 12 July 2013 - 05:49 PM

Anyone have video footage of Jaws' assessment of Cam at 18?

#223 chef17

chef17

Senior Asshole

• HUDDLER
  • 3,502 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 05:59 PM

I am quoting their QBR (QB Rating) you are quoting their RAT (Total Passer Rating)...I can send you the stats if you like.  I didnt say it was that bad, as you say, many of their stats are comparable, with Romo having a slight edge in passing and experience... I took away the ridiculous claim, and see your points, but when you include rushing and rushing TDs with the whole picture, since that is a large part of Cam's game, I just think Cam is better than Romo in a "ranking game" and given two equally talented football teams, i would choose Cam as my QB any day.

Gotcha. An argument can be made for either, I was just disagreeing that it was ridiculous. Carry on

#224 tiger7_88

tiger7_88

old skool SWAG

• HUDDLER
  • 4,214 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 06:50 PM

He has RGknee 13th and Kaepernick 11th.

And by the process of elimination, he's gonna have Luck top 10.

LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!! :lol:

#225 auburnman

auburnman

NOT NEWB

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationLA

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:12 PM

He has RGknee 13th and Kaepernick 11th.

And by the process of elimination, he's gonna have Luck top 10.

LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!! :lol:

agreed... and the rest of the top 10 is fairly predictable.  We shouldnt put too much stock in it, he rated Rivers and Cutler at # 7 and 8 last year, which pretty much says it all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.