90 replies to this topic

#76 CelibatePimp

CelibatePimp

BAMF

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,128 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 12:48 AM

Stats alone are an awful way to judge a player because the NFL, by and large, is not a sport where a player can go out and be a world beater on their own merits alone.  Stats can be artificially inflated / deflated by the abilities of the other units / players on the field with the player you're measuring.

If you watch someone play and have an objective bone in your body you'll be able to form a much better picture of what they're really like than you'd be able to by looking at box scores.  In this I'm with Mr Scot.  I would prefer to judge a player based on what I can see as a long time football fan with some knowledge of the game than by a series of numbers that don't tell you even a portion of the whole story.

If you watch someone play in order to rate them, what are you looking out for? Number of INT? Number of TD? Number of completions? Are those not stats?

#77 Creep59

Creep59

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts
  • LocationHatteras Canyon

Posted 10 July 2013 - 06:08 AM

Fair question though.

Do we assume that Gettleman will pay the kind of contract Newton's agent is going to be seeking?

I'm not dead sold on that notion.

But you have to keep in mind.  Cam isnt just a quarterback.  Hes also an entertainer and icon so it is a 3 for 1 deal.

#78 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,719 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:32 AM

It is funny how stats are suddenly a bad way of evaluating talent. I can hear it now as players go up to Gettleman looking for a big extension using that logic. You know Dave that numbers and stats are not as good as my own personal observations.

#79 Rules&Regulations

Rules&Regulations

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 11:05 AM

Wearing a Detroit Tigers hat at his press conference, that's how you support the city that supports you. Kaeperstupid should be taking notes.

#80 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

The Frashmaker

• HUDDLER
  • 14,381 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 11:37 AM

I would hazard a guess that there are far more Panther fans that had a team before the Panthers, than there are of those only knowing the Panthers. So you are making a broad sweeping derogatory statement that insults almost every adult Panther fan.

But hey, at least you're consistent.

many of them were redskins defectors

while I don't care much for that franchise's heritage, abysmal is not a word I'd use to describe their history. I usually reserve that word for garbage franchises, such as the Lions.

#81 top dawg

top dawg

The Creative Cat

• HUDDLER
  • 7,328 posts
  • LocationWITHIN MY MIND'S EYE

Posted 10 July 2013 - 01:52 PM

Everybody's pretty happy right now with the notion that we have a GM who will play hardball on contract negotiations.

Will they still be happy if the guy he's playing hardball with is Cam, or Luke, or Star?

There is playing hardball, and there is playing hardball.  Even G-man ain't  crazy enough to alienate one of the top up and coming franchise QBs in the league---one with generational potential, I might add---by low balling him on the money.  Hopefully all parties involved will bring reasonable expectations within the context of the market and what is fitting in order to make this team a perennial championship contender (like other historically good franchises). 

If I could tell all the parties involved one thing before the negotiations begin, it would be that "Compromise leads to championships!"

#82 top dawg

top dawg

The Creative Cat

• HUDDLER
  • 7,328 posts
  • LocationWITHIN MY MIND'S EYE

Posted 10 July 2013 - 01:57 PM

TBH, the main question is whether we should try and lock up Cam early like the Lions did with Stafford.

#83 hepcat

hepcat

Skandalouz

• HUDDLER
  • 4,558 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 02:42 PM

Stafford lead the Lions to the playoffs in 2011, for the first time in 12 years.  His stats look nice on paper.  Naturally Detroit will pay whatever it takes to keep him around.

Cam on the other hand has a lot to prove.  While his stats also look good on paper, he hasn't lead his team to the playoffs.  How he performs in 2013 will go a long way towards his next contract.

#84 TheRumGone

TheRumGone

mountain man

• ALL-PRO
  • 9,395 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 10 July 2013 - 02:55 PM

for some reason i still think Cam will take less than what people expect to make this team better overall. He wants to win.

#85 thefuzz

thefuzz

coppin a feel

• HUDDLER
  • 8,317 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 03:20 PM

I know this is the "trend" and that the teams that can do it will continue to do so, but I think that we are seeing some backlash from paying these QB's insane money in flat cap years.

Brady and Manning skewed our vision a bit.  Those two are good enough to not have much of a team around them and still reel off 11 wins.  Paying the Bens, Flaccos, Rivers, and now Staffords, and Ryans will take a lot of money from other positions.

I know, I said this before and folks laughed, but there are a lot of teams that are doing pretty well using good QB's that are still on their rookie deals, and surrounding them with talent.

#86 iamhubby1

iamhubby1

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,542 posts
  • LocationSpartanburg, SC

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:03 PM

Heh you kinda left out the biggest star on the team - Calvin. Guess that can be attributed to it being late though :)

Oops. How could I forget Megatron? My bad.

#87 BigBoss

BigBoss

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:39 PM

If he gives us a playoff year and at least one win in there, he can ask for whatever he wants as far as I'm concerned.

No playoffs though? Gettleman better use that as leverage.

#88 CarolinaCoolin

CarolinaCoolin

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 11 July 2013 - 02:43 PM

for some reason i still think Cam will take less than what people expect to make this team better overall. He wants to win.

Completely agree.

#89 lovelett

lovelett

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts
  • LocationWest Palm Beach, Florida

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:40 PM

I know this is the "trend" and that the teams that can do it will continue to do so, but I think that we are seeing some backlash from paying these QB's insane money in flat cap years.

Brady and Manning skewed our vision a bit.  Those two are good enough to not have much of a team around them and still reel off 11 wins.  Paying the Bens, Flaccos, Rivers, and now Staffords, and Ryans will take a lot of money from other positions.

I know, I said this before and folks laughed, but there are a lot of teams that are doing pretty well using good QB's that are still on their rookie deals, and surrounding them with talent.

Exactly.  Andy Dalton is not exactly breaking the bank and no where near an elite QB and will not command a crazy contract yet they are building around him and he has led them to the playoffs. I could see a lot more teams interested in someone like him if the quarterbacks keep ruining everyones cap.

#90 thefuzz

thefuzz

coppin a feel

• HUDDLER
  • 8,317 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 09:15 AM

Exactly.  Andy Dalton is not exactly breaking the bank and no where near an elite QB and will not command a crazy contract yet they are building around him and he has led them to the playoffs. I could see a lot more teams interested in someone like him if the quarterbacks keep ruining everyones cap.

Not just him, but look at the Chargers on Rivers' rookie deal.  Look at the Steelers on Ben's rookie deal, Giants on Manning's, Seahawks on Russell's and the 9ers on Kaepernick's.

Didn't even bring up Flacco's or to a lesser extent Ryans.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com