73 replies to this topic

#16 thatlookseasy

thatlookseasy

Death to pennies

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 10:36 AM

I'm not a Duke or UNC fan and I really don't care who is or isn't.

The kid has an obvious association with a convicted felon. The NCAA usually has issues with this. Not to mention the fact he is receiving perks from said convicted felon that could be in violation of NCAA rules.

Open your eyes and face some reality- where there's smoke (like, from a gun or a fattie) there's usually fire.

Let me ask you this- does this happen if it's the 15th man on the bench of a lesser-known school? I'm guessing not- scholarship gone, kicked off team, etc.

You realize the cops and the NCAA are not the same organization, right?

#17 bigcatdaddy

bigcatdaddy

• HUDDLER
  • 3,659 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 24 July 2013 - 10:46 AM

I work for a college football team, so I'm quite aware of the rules and regulations.

I can guarantee you that the NCAA doesn't care about any of the charges that Hairston received because the NCAA only looks out for one thing, themselves.

The NCAA is and will be involved, just because your local newspaper hasn't reported about it, does not mean they aren't involved.

Just so you know, every school has a compliance officer to make sure that rules are not broken... here is one of those rules... A coach can give his player a bagel, but that player must pay for his own cream cheese (this is an actual rule regarding per diems and giving food to players).

Recently a player at the college I work at got arrested for attempted robbery and guess what... he's still on the team because he didn't break any NCAA violations.

The smart thing for UNC to do is to wait until the NCAA has ruled to make a decision on Hairston. With Hairston and McDonald being the only players under scrutiny, there probably won't be a post-season ban and at the very most Hairston will be suspended for a year.

All I have to say is if you don't know the rules, don't make yourself out to be all high and mighty.

You are right, the NCAA doesn't bother with legal matters it's left up to the school to discipline just like Ole Miss did with Henderson and OSU did with their running back.

I do however disagree that the best thing unc can do is wait on a decision by the NCAA.  You as a school are supposed to self report violations which unc did not.  Is that unc's fault, or is it PJ's fault?  If it's unc's fault and they knew about these violations and just didn't report them then they could be in very serious trouble especially since they are on probation.  If it's PJ's fault then I would think roy would be furious that PJ and LM and whoever else might have put his program in danger of serious violations.  I guess that is what I don't understand is why roy hasn't taken action yet and suspended PJ to at least make it seem like he cares that PJ has put his program at risk.  Normally schools self impose penalties hoping the NCAA thinks that the punishment is strict enough.  BTW PJ and LM are not the only unc players that Fats and his crew have been linked to.  

#18 bigcatdaddy

bigcatdaddy

• HUDDLER
  • 3,659 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 24 July 2013 - 10:51 AM

Most important quote from that article.

As long as they aren't breaking rules, there is nothing wrong with what they are doing.

That's what you think the most important quote of the article is?  That is being a naive, homer.  I mean Fats is a convicted felon and has gun and drug charges pending, PJ was caught with weed in Fats rental car with a gun outside the car.  Fats is also in business with an oral surgeon that went to unc that made $1500 mouth guards for LM.  LM also got a ticket in a car that wasn't his that is owned by a guy who "works" for Fats.  There is a lot going on here.

#19 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • 24,460 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina/Virginia

Posted 24 July 2013 - 10:55 AM

You are supposed to self report, but you can't self report what you don't know (i.e. Roy Williams).

If Roy Williams hasn't kicked him off the team, that should speak volumes of whether or not Roy know's what's going on or not. Roy is doing the smart thing and waiting it out. Many times teams use self-impose disciple as a cop out and the NCAA ends up laying down the law anyway. The smartest thing to do is wait for everything to come to fruition.

Either UNC's compliance officer is not good at his job or he is part of the problem.

#20 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • 24,460 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 10:58 AM

That's what you think the most important quote of the article is? That is being a naive, homer. I mean Fats is a convicted felon and has gun and drug charges pending, PJ was caught with weed in Fats rental car with a gun outside the car. Fats is also in business with an oral surgeon that went to unc that made $1500 mouth guards for LM. LM also got a ticket in a car that wasn't his that is owned by a guy who "works" for Fats. There is a lot going on here.

I'm well aware of what's going on, but unlike you I'm willing to wait for everything to come out before saying what needs and doesn't need to happen.

#21 bigcatdaddy

bigcatdaddy

• HUDDLER
  • 3,659 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 24 July 2013 - 11:13 AM

I'm well aware of what's going on, but unlike you I'm willing to wait for everything to come out before saying what needs and doesn't need to happen.

Why?  To see if there's a way to sweep it under the rug?  We already know PJ was driving around rental cars given to him by a felon, he was caught with weed and admitted he smokes weed to the police.  Fats has his dirty hands all over unc athletes giving them things.  That's not enough to say you guys who are hanging with Fats and taking gifts are suspended until further notice?  That's been the problem with unc, they don't put there foot down and clean up the mess they simply want to put a rug over it.  Look at what Duke did with lacrosse, they shut the whole program down when those allegations came out because the integrity of the institution is greater than a sport.

#22 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • 24,460 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 11:20 AM

You're looking at it from a fans perspective...

From a coaches perspective you want the best players on the court, so UNC is going to wait until the NCAA rules before jumping to conclusions on what to do or what not to do with Hairston.

Please don't even start with the smoking weed thing, I guarantee you that there are Duke players that smoke weed...

The Duke Lacrosse thing was on a whole different level because 1). Lacrosse isn't a big sport, 2). Rape is a felony, 3) Lacrosse isn't going to bring in a bunch of money. If Duke was going through something like this, I guarantee you that they would handle it the same way.

#23 Anybodyhome

Anybodyhome

USN Retired

• HUDDLER
  • 6,914 posts
  • LocationWherever I May Roam

Posted 24 July 2013 - 11:21 AM

How are you "well aware of what's going on" and at the same time "waiting for everything to come out before saying what needs and doesn't need to happen?"

Do you know all the facts and are withholding information?

Are you with the NCAA or are you a compliance official and your stamp of approval on what does or doesn't need to happen should be accepted as the final word?

You work for a college football team. Sounds like you have a good job.

I worked for the US government for 20 years. That doesn't necessarily mean I know everything that goes on inside the Pentagon.

#24 Anybodyhome

Anybodyhome

USN Retired

• HUDDLER
  • 6,914 posts
  • LocationWherever I May Roam

Posted 24 July 2013 - 11:23 AM

You realize the cops and the NCAA are not the same organization, right?

"Not to mention the fact he is receiving perks from said convicted felon that could be in violation of NCAA rules."

The rental car, where does this involve the cops? Receiving perks as a college athlete, depending on what they are, can be NCAA violations.

#25 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • 24,460 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 11:28 AM

- Just because I know what's going on does not mean that I know what the NCAA's ruling is going to be.

- I don't know any more of the facts that what has been released from documents by news outlets.

- Like I said before, every school has a compliance officer that is expected to report the NCAA monthly. I'm just a low level coach (on the same level as a GA), not a compliance officer but as a coach I want my best players out on the field which is why I wait until the NCAA rules before jumping to conclusions.

#26 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • 24,460 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 11:31 AM

My question is why do you guys want UNC to rush to a decision?

Do you not want to play a Carolina team with P.J. Hairston on it, or do you just hate Carolina that much?

It can't be because you actually care about the person and the university.

#27 bigcatdaddy

bigcatdaddy

• HUDDLER
  • 3,659 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 24 July 2013 - 11:33 AM

You're looking at it from a fans perspective...

From a coaches perspective you want the best players on the court, so UNC is going to wait until the NCAA rules before jumping to conclusions on what to do or what not to do with Hairston.

Please don't even start with the smoking weed thing, I guarantee you that there are Duke players that smoke weed...

The Duke Lacrosse thing was on a whole different level because 1). Lacrosse isn't a big sport, 2). Rape is a felony, 3) Lacrosse isn't going to bring in a bunch of money. If Duke was going through something like this, I guarantee you that they would handle it the same way.

So basically you are saying that Roy would have already taken action and suspended the player if he wasn't a star? What about Ole Miss suspending Henderson and OSU suspending their top running back does that mean they don't care about winning or they care more about the integrity of their program?

#28 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • 24,460 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 11:35 AM

So basically you are saying that Roy would have already taken action and suspended the player if he wasn't a star? What about Ole Miss suspending Henderson and OSU suspending their top running back does that mean they don't care about winning or they care more about the integrity of their program?

Henderson has had multiple run-in's with the NCAA. 

That entire OSU football team has had multiple run-in's with the NCAA.

If you are a first time offender, you are usually cut some slack.

#29 bigcatdaddy

bigcatdaddy

• HUDDLER
  • 3,659 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 24 July 2013 - 11:37 AM

My question is why do you guys want UNC to rush to a decision?

Do you not want to play a Carolina team with P.J. Hairston on it, or do you just hate Carolina that much?

It can't be because you actually care about the person and the university.

Because I don't think they have any integrity, they've shown time and time again they don't want to clean up the mess. They need to take care of their own mess and not try and hide the cheating and rule breaking.

#30 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • 24,460 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 11:38 AM

Because I don't think they have any integrity, they've shown time and time again they don't want to clean up the mess. They need to take care of their own mess and not try and hide the cheating and rule breaking.

They cleaned up the Football program... by the way they didn't suspend anyone until all the facts came out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com