Photo
- - - - -

My camp thoughts after today. Expect a conservative, run offense.

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#51 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon
HUDDLER

Posted 30 July 2013 - 01:41 PM

Why would the OP think the offense will be conservative, after seeing one early practice; with Gettleman as GM (think NY Giants), and the fact that the team has been practicing a no huddle, up tempo offense, which they talked about implementing? Shrugs. 

Now, If "conservative" means more traditional sets, as opposed to read option; yes. However, I don't think it means, less passing, or big plays on offense. That's what Got Rivera in trouble [conservative], and losing games and leads in the first place. 

Post, like this; tell you more what the OP wants, than what he/she actually saw or knows during that one practice. 

I personally think the offense will be more balanced.

It will be somewhere in between what Fox ran and what Chud ran.

#52 mwright350

mwright350

Thy Jimmies shall be Rustled

• LocationChina Grove, NC
SUPPORTER

Posted 30 July 2013 - 01:56 PM

I can't bring myself to draw any conclusions about what our offensive philosophy will look like after a few days of camp.

We could get more information about that from the guarded coach / GM interviews than we could the drills we see on the field right now.

#53 beastson

beastson

Philly Cheese Steak

HUDDLER

Posted 30 July 2013 - 05:10 PM

I'm saying we lose running the ball, Cam won't get shitted on as much... just sayin

#54 PhillyB

PhillyB

sườn núi phía đông thứ ba của mặt trời

• Locationthird spur east of the sun
HUDDLER

Posted 30 July 2013 - 05:36 PM

balance plz

#55 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

Moderators

Posted 30 July 2013 - 05:37 PM

balance plz

aggressive, dynamic/explosive, prolific, and balanced.

i don't want conservative and balanced. i want full on aggression on both sides of the ball.

#56 L-TownCat

L-TownCat

Baptized In The Blood Of Saints

SUPPORTER

Posted 30 July 2013 - 05:43 PM

This offense should use the run as a way to set up the pass. Get those LB's and safeties creeping toward the line, drop the play fake and watch smitty get behind the secondary from the slot. That or watch Olsen destroy teams on that 10 yard out pattern. Safeties and linebackers become concerned with that...baammm!! Pistol handoff to DWill for a 20 yard gain. Rinse Repeat Win.

#57 PantherGuy

PantherGuy

• LocationCharlotte, NC
SUPPORTER

Posted 30 July 2013 - 06:09 PM

I finally went to camp today.  Some thoughts.  Cam's passes have a lot more touch and are a lot more accurate. I left a little early but aside from one pick 6, Cam completed all his passes. Check downs,  passes down the middle, a bomb to Ginn on the right sideline. He made em all. 

Day and night difference this year from last year at camp as far as our offense. Last year, Cam ran the ball A TON at camp. I didnt see a single zone read formation play today nor not once did Cam run.  What I saw today was a lot of power i formation, short 7-10 yd passes down the middle and check downs to the RBs. This offense will look quite a bit like Fox ball. Expect a lot of ground and pound this season. BTW, this is a very good thing.  There is nothing more I love than when teams absloutely dominate time of possession.  Some people love sacks, some love safeties, some love forced fumbles.. Me?  I love seeing the opposing QB on the bench, looking half asleep from boredom for nearly an entire quarter. WOO! Im getting chills just thinking about it. Show me a team that dominates time of possession and I will show you a playoff team everytime.

AJ Klien impressed me. Shame he hasnt got that much attention but he looked explosive and powerful in LB drills today.  A lot of people are in straight up panic mode about our O line. But we all forget we might just have one of the best if not THE best front 7 in the league.  I will reserve my judgement on the o line until I see them play average-below average Ds.

Cam is A LOT more vocal and relaxed. He was very vocal today and showing signs of a true leader. Ginn in my book is a lock for number 3 WR. Gettis is as good as gone.  Overall, solid practice.

I've been rewatching a lot of our games from last season in the past week or two. My Game Rewind subscription expires after tomorrow, and I don't plan on spending $70 to have it for another year. But one thing I noticed is in line with what I bolded from your OP. For the most part, our offense operated the best when we used traditional running formations, and used that to key the pass.

I for one wouldn't mind seeing an offense more similar to Foxball. I just don't want us to go back to running draw plays on 3rd-and-10 every time. It's possible to have a run-centric offense without becoming predictable.

#58 PhillyB

PhillyB

sườn núi phía đông thứ ba của mặt trời

• Locationthird spur east of the sun
HUDDLER

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:31 PM

aggressive, dynamic/explosive, prolific, and balanced.

i don't want conservative and balanced. i want full on aggression on both sides of the ball.

balance is crucial to success... a dominant running game opens up a dominant passing game. we have the ability to be a dominant passing team, so focusing training camp on improving the running game will beget success for both tiers.

as long as our most effective options are not reined in to favor contrary offensive philosophies in playcalling i can only see good things coming from emphasizing this in camp.

#59 PantherPhann89

PantherPhann89

CPP "Carolina Panther Phann"

• LocationSC
HUDDLER

Posted 30 July 2013 - 08:06 PM

I see a lot of comparison to Fox ball because we may be running the ball, with our RB's, more this year. But I doubt that we will have an offense anywhere close to Fox ball offense. I think that we will cater certain offensive plays to certain players. This will allow us to capatilize on individual player strengths instead of playing one style of offense and forcing everyone to comply. We have to find our identity and I think that our identity will be a balanced offense with a constant threat of Cam running down the field.

#60 Matthias

Matthias

HUDDLER

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:02 PM

I definitely want to see a dynamic offense, but more than anything I want to see Cam dissecting defenses with his arm.  I always considered Cam's ability to run as a luxury.  I don't want that to be his main weapon.  History shows your athletic QB never amounts to championships.  Of course for those who know of my posts in the past, I'm not a fan of the college read option.  I want to see Cam develop into a Steve Young type mold.  An accurate passer who could run.  Cam is a way better rusher than Steve Young.  So I want to see Cam be a way better version of Steve Young.  When all that happens, whether we pass or run the ball, no one will be able to stop our offense.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users