Pie for knowing your audience with the first part.
About your actual content, I have a few disagreements. My list is tempered a bit more with my own desires and optimism, but still what I realistically see happening.
- I see us rolling with 7 WRs this year: Smitty, Lafell, Ginn, Hixon are the obvious picks. The final three I think will be Gettis, Pilares and Adams. I hope and pray that Gettleman isn't blinded by whatever homerism or whatever has allowed Armanti to retain a spot on the team so long but the dude simply cannot play football in the NFL. I don't care that he's having yet another "breakout training camp". It happens every year. I'm sick of it. Bersin is another red herring. If we were to keep 6 WRs instead of 7, my heart says Pilares would be the odd man out. His ceiling simply isn't as high as Gettis or Adams. But my head says it'd be Gettis
- I agree we'll probably just go with 8 DL this year, the same DEs you mentioned, Star, KK, D. Edwards are locks. For the final DT spot I honestly couldn't guess who would get it among Cole, Kearse or Gaydosh. Cole was good in the past, but his present is an unknown. I'd hate to keep him because he gets through camp looking good and not getting injured, then in the first few weeks something happens (we all know people who have had injuries, especially major ones, are more likely to get injured again even if it's not specifically related to the original injury) and we let go of two young reasonably talented DTs. If Gaydosh doesn't make the final 53 I'm sure they'll try to PS stash him, but he very well may get swiped by another team. Kearse is a very solid backup and will certainly get a spot on another team if not us. Something to think about, a year ago we were the team waiting for another team that was loaded with capable DT talent to make cuts so we could find a starter from someone else's trash. Now we're the team loaded at DT talent and having to make the hard decision of who to cut.
- I think Brandon Williams easily makes the team over Brockel or Hartsock. Probably Hartsock since Brockel fills the FB role too.
- As much as I WANT Nakamura gone, I don't see it happening. I think he's as much one of Rivera's guys as Gettis isn't, despite the talent dictating otherwise in both cases. Rivera's personal biases could hurt the team in both cases, letting Gettis go and keeping Nakamura. C. Jones did well in STs, I'd be a little surprised if he was let go. As much as I'm rooting for Lester, and want him to make the team based on potential, I wouldn't be surprised if they try to stash him on the PS (and then he gets filched by another team).
- I think at least Poole goes on the PS again. Our RB squad is definitely stuffed, so neither Poole nor Smith are making the roster unless we're decimated by injuries, but of the two Poole is my favorite. He was looking awesome in preseason games a year or two ago (I forget which year it was).
- I'm not entirely sure we take 7 LBs, I don't remember how many we've kept in the past. A starter and his backup seem like it would be enough, so I would think 6 is sufficient. Jason Williams would obviously be the odd guy out in that case.
- I think Dockery makes the team. Could be White or DJ Moore who misses out. As someone pointed out in another thread, it would seem Moore was signed as Captain insurance. Since we kept him, Moore's importance is reduced.
- I think Byers and/or Garry Williams won't make the final cut in favor of a vet/vets they bring in (Moore or Wharton).
- The current other K/Ps we have aren't going to take Gano or Nortman's jobs. Still possible we bring in someone else and they could. Gano and Nortman both were below par (but not terrible overall) last year and Nortman is still young, could still pan out.
- This might finally be the year we decide to just roll with 2 QBs. Jimmeh is a waste of a roster spot. Guy's been classy and handled himself well since he's been here. Give him a chance to go somewhere else and compete for a backup job. He doesn't benefit the team at all.