• Please log in to reply
271 replies to this topic

#121 Riverboat Ron

Riverboat Ron

The Gambler

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:30 AM

I really hope we sign Brandon Moore. The biggest issue for him seems to be money, but I was curious and took a look at some of the other contracts signed this offseason by guards and tackles.

I feel Moore fits more into the 1 year deal players given the fact he's 33.

OT- Eric Winston 1yr- $840,000 (29)

OG- Kevin Boothe 1yr- $840,000 (30)

OT- Willie Colon 1yr- $1.2 million (30)

Top Guard contracts signed this year.

OG- Andy Levitre 6yrs- $46.8 million (27) $4.6 million cap figure this year.

OG- Louis Vasquez - 4yrs- 23.5 million (26) $3.25 million cap figure this year.

Even though Moore rated out as the #1 rated OG in free agency, per pff, I don't expect him to earn more than Levitre or Vasquez nor get more than a 1 year deal. Maybe somewhere around 1year-$3 million tops?

https://www.profootb...ds-and-centers/

#122 MHS831

MHS831

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,038 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:32 AM

I get what you are saying but the timing is what bothers me about this...what does that do to the psyche of your offensive line (which has had struggles) when you take away a vet who has been running with the ones throughout camp?

I like the precedence that Gettleman is setting but I just wish he had done this before camp.  If Moore or Wharton is signed they won't even be able to practice (in pads) for two days.  This is just a recipe for early offensive line struggles in the first month of the season.

I had the same thought, but then I started trying to look at it from Gettlemen's perspective:

1. You don't cut a starter until you have his replacement.

2. He wanted to see how along Kugbila has come; the failure of Kugbila to get time on the field could have delayed his decision.  Remember, Gettlemen has to consuder the contract length and amount.

3. Some players play an entire season injured.  We know nothing about Hangman's injury situation, so maybe Gettlemen was auditioning him.

Just guessing-which is what makes this fun.  However, I said a few days ago, now is not the time--wait until there is more talent out there (after cuts).  I think we must have signed a good player.  Wharton is the obivious pick, but Moore is the sensible pick.  Heck, sign them both and play Wharton at RT.

#123 Creep59

Creep59

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts
  • LocationHatteras Canyon

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:33 AM

Hangartner: "I didn't have my best year last year. BUt I definitely was a little blindsided by the move b/c I can play center and guard."

https://twitter.com/...970148262518784

Im thinking this backs up zods comment about G man asking piggy to take a paycut or say goodbye.

#124 captfluoro

captfluoro

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts
  • LocationHuntersville, NC

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:33 AM

Maybe the Chiefs will cut Schwartz and we can get "The Dude" back.

#125 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 25,396 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:35 AM

We have a backup C. But I was talking about relevant positions that are worth our time discussing.

Piggy was it....we needed him last year. Considering our C is coming off a year of IR....it could be a relevant position again

#126 TheRumGone

TheRumGone

mountain man

• ALL-PRO
  • 9,474 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:35 AM

ignore CRA.

he thinks Gettleman isn't "sold" on Cam and in his mind isn't giving the Panthers the proper tools to win so that after this year he can can Rivera and probably dump Cam and pick his own coach and qb.

he doesn't think he is pessimistic or negative when he really is most of the time.

#127 TheRumGone

TheRumGone

mountain man

• ALL-PRO
  • 9,474 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:36 AM

byers is just as good as piggy at center and costs substantially less

#128 TheRed

TheRed

California Dreamin'

• HUDDLER
  • 13,682 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:38 AM

Wow, this release really rustled some jimmies lol.

#129 MHS831

MHS831

• HUDDLER
  • 7,038 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:38 AM

He is a great backup tho, why release him? Getts can go out and get his 33 year old Wharton and 33 year old Brandon Moore all he wants. 

$2 million (just under) is a high salary for a backup.  33, by the way, is not too old for a lineman.  THe upsdie is gone, but many last until their mid thirties.

#130 Montie_0123

Montie_0123

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • LocationCharlotte NC

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:39 AM

This is definitely a shock but now we know Gettleman is going to get more O-line help whether its during the coming weeks or towards the end of the final trim down of roster cuts. I just hope we bring in players that can really help and improve the ride side.

#131 SIGCHI222

SIGCHI222

the illustrious potentate

• HUDDLER
  • 4,434 posts
  • LocationShelby

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:40 AM

Don't let the "glamping trip" or his cutesy nickname muddy your thinking.  Hangman will be fine and Gettleman values his continued employment.  There is a plan and we will be better when this is over.

#132 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • 5,601 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:41 AM

everyone keeps saying we have no money we have no money, well how the hell are we going to sign a quality guard if we have no money? Cutting Hangman was stupid.

"Everyone" is not saying we have no money.

Yes, there are challenges ahead just like most other teams face. Gettleman moved our cap by roughly $28 million this offseason, and on paper our team is better at several positions. I'm not going to worry that we still need a starting guard (a low cost position).

#133 SooSlow84

SooSlow84

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts
  • LocationYour mother's basement

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:43 AM

It would be funny if it was the latter.

"No Joe, we're not signing Travelle"

*10 Minutes Later

"Carolina Panthers sign Travelle Wharton"

Joe: "WTF GUYS? You said you weren't signing him!"

Staff: "Whaaat? No, no, Joe. We said we are not, not signing him. You must have misheard us. Also, we are signing Clausen to a long term contract. Feel free to run that story exclusively!"

#134 Gabeking

Gabeking

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,363 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:43 AM

Could be neither.

That's true as well.

#135 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,086 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:44 AM

I can play all 5 offensive line spots. Hell, for that matter, I can play every position on the field.

The question is... can I play them effectively?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Carolina Panthers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com