• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#31 csx

csx

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,143 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 04:08 AM

I don't remember any significant pre-season hype about Armanti. Last year maybe a little bit of talk about him looking a little better than previous.

#32 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

OWN the Line of Scrimmage

• HUDDLER
  • 17,630 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 04 August 2013 - 05:34 AM

If he has truly earned the spot, then good for him.

He has all the tools to be good, he clearly has the desire and the work ethic so I don't have any problem with it.

My one concern is this- is his ceiling high enough to justify keeping him over someone else who doesn't have the same developmental delays as him?

Anyway, too early to say who has and hasn't definitely earned a spot for the guys that are on the bubble.

#33 micnificent28

micnificent28

• HUDDLER
  • 3,026 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 04 August 2013 - 05:34 AM

I'm very impressed with ae. Cant say it enuff he looks sure handed and is catching everything.his speed isn't world class but its good. I think before the seasons over he will probably be 3rd wr.

#34 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,086 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 05:38 AM

You all know I have been an Armanti critic, but he has done as well as anyone in camp not named Lafell or Smitty.

I don't think his roster position is secured though. He will have ample opportunity in preseason to make plays. If he disappears like he has done in the past, he will be one of the last cuts made.

#35 Brandon

Brandon

Everything and Nothing

• HUDDLER
  • 2,297 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 05:52 AM

Let's be realistic about Armanti for a second. Many people here have been critical of him, for good or bad, based on his lack of development as a receiver, which is all well and good except for the fact that his first season he had Fox who had no interest in teaching him. Follow that up into his second season where there is a lockout and once again no real instruction during the time of year where he could really use it to make an impact.

As of right now he's had his second real offseason, this time with Ricky Proehl teaching him, where the onus of development isn't so high on getting a bunch of other receivers trained. Will this training pay off and he finally make an impact on Sundays? I have no idea but I'm certainly not going to count him out, and he's definitely earned his way into good favor with his work ethic and noticeable improvement this offseason.

#36 La Pantera

La Pantera

humpin' habanero

• HUDDLER
  • 3,688 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 06:16 AM

I think he makes the roster. AE seems too have improved dramaticly this year. In past years he looked to be lost. Now all of a sudden the light is burning. I wont say he's #3 or anything. But he's in the #3-#5 WR range. And that's a better showing than years past. Now the battle is really between Adams,Pilares and Gettis for the 6th spot.

#37 Anybodyhome

Anybodyhome

USN Retired

• HUDDLER
  • 6,460 posts
  • LocationWherever I May Roam

Posted 04 August 2013 - 06:17 AM

As long this team continues to ignore the fact Steve Smith is getting old and decides they have bigger needs than a WR,we have no choice but hope and pray someone either resurrects their career, comes back from injury or finally blossoms at the position.

I'm not thinking the WR corps of Steve Smith, Brandon LaFell, Dominique Hixon, Ted Ginn, AE or anyone else is going to strike fear in the hearts of any secondary in the league.

#38 csx

csx

• HUDDLER
  • 7,143 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 06:32 AM

I don't think there are many WR groups that strike fear in hearts. Maybe a few. If we could have every position group full of pro bowlers it would be really nice though.

#39 La Pantera

La Pantera

humpin' habanero

• HUDDLER
  • 3,688 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 06:40 AM

Most well rounded. Solid group of WRs we've had in.....well, since 2003-2004.

#40 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

OWN the Line of Scrimmage

• HUDDLER
  • 17,630 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 04 August 2013 - 07:02 AM

He didn't look lost at all last year, but you could tell he was still having to really think through everything from routes, to hand technique to route running. It sounds like he's now just playing and those things are somewhere in the background so he's able to move more freely and confidently.

It's amazing what good coaching can do.

I think he makes the roster. AE seems too have improved dramaticly this year. In past years he looked to be lost. Now all of a sudden the light is burning. I wont say he's #3 or anything. But he's in the #3-#5 WR range. And that's a better showing than years past. Now the battle is really between Adams,Pilares and Gettis for the 6th spot.

#41 Fan01

Fan01

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 07:07 AM

All I know is that AE caught a ball that he had to readjust to falling out of the side corner of the endzone dragging his feet with Captain is great position on him like a blanket.  That was as an impressive a catch as any top receiver in the NFL.  

I was shocked he caught it.  Not because it was AE but because of how good the coverage was and how difficult a catch it was.

#42 Creep59

Creep59

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts
  • LocationHatteras Canyon

Posted 04 August 2013 - 07:08 AM

Rooting for a player on this team to be successful? The nerve of these fans here....

first time Ive ever thought of giving this guy pie

It's amazing what good coaching can do.

thank you Ricky Proehl

#43 Fan01

Fan01

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 07:15 AM

I agree you need good coaching but we've had some great coaches before and don't knock what's really helped AE improve and that's AE working his butt off.

#44 MHS831

MHS831

• HUDDLER
  • 6,977 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 07:20 AM

Why are the people on this forum always negative?
Why can't it be possible he's finally put it together.

I will preface this by saying that i went to WCU and played football - when I did, WCU and App St were heated rivals.  This to show that I am not about App Crap or a loyal Boone goon. And all I can say is "We beat ASU" when I played against them. Go Catamounts.

Armanti works hard.  I chatted with him during his rookie season.  He was having trouble with route running, beating jams, etc.  He was overwhelmed, and that is coming from a former QB.  He said his routes and timing--being there when the ball was there--was his biggest concern.

He has since mastered these aspects of the game and you are seeing it.  In college he was a qiuck open-field runner, but WRs are totally different--they don't usually choose where they are running--they are so precise. 

As a former pass catcher, I noticed that AE was getting the ball at awkward times.  It was as if it was on him before he was ready.  From the few snaps I have seen from camp,, his timing seems excellent.   He gets it now.

Other college QBs have converted to WR, but there have not been many.  The best, in my opinion, was Freddie Solomon, who played in the NFL from 1975-85 and caught 371 passes for 5,846 yards and 48 TDs.  He averaged about 600 yards per season, but his first three seasons were less than half that. Antwan Randall El is the other very good one.  After that, Aside from Matt Jones, there are not many.  (Hines Ward played WR in college and Kordell Stewart ended up a QB).

So, lets give him a chance.  There are not many who have done what he is doing.

#45 Chaos

Chaos

@chaos_cltsports

• ALL-PRO
  • 9,046 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 07:23 AM

Is there video anywhere of his amazing TD catch yesterday?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com