Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Backfield speaks of "broken promises"...

66 posts in this topic

Posted

Chud got caught up in using Cam to run the ball and forgot about our talented and expensive backfield... I can understand why both DeAngelo and Tolbert were frustrated. 

but still, it is only fair to point out.....the run game outside of New Orleans wasn't impressive when used last year.  The RBs weren't.  So why would you put a bigger load on them?

Last half of the season....7 games leading up the the finale.

Williams averaged 3.2 yards per carry.  Last game of the season greatly distorts what our RBs were doing.  Before and after the read option correction that occured early on.  RBs didn't run good.  Blame the OL, the RBs, whoever....put it would have been silly to of given Williams a bigger load in most of those games.

Posted

i'm thinking/hoping a couple things happen this year.

1) we have more offensive plays than last year thanks to a faster paced/streamlined offense and the ability to extend drives. last year we had 988 offensive plays vs. 1010 defensive ones. this needs to at least be flipflopped. it's possible for us to be in the top 10 # of defensive plays made and top 10 fewest defensive plays. (we had 10th fewest defensive plays last year vs. 25th most offensive plays...top 10 last year would have been 1040 plays). this means we are more efficient as a team, but also very controlling/dominant, ie, imposing our will on both sides of the ball.

2) we are also balanced between run and pass. i don't mean it has to be 50/50 exactly, but definitely within just a couple percentage points between running and passing. being a top 10 team in regards to offensive plays would mean about 65 plays per game. balanced would have us at around 32 running plays and 32 passing plays.

that 32 would be quite a bit and would have us in the top 3 rushing teams for the year (at least as far as # of rushing plays goes) but even that would be hard to split among the backs we have.

you have to expect that barner will get about 3-4 at least and then tolbert and cam will probably have between 5-7 per game. that would only leave about 8-9 for williams and stewart each per game. it would be nice to get them a few more carries per game, but i just don't see that happening. however, i do think it's a respectable number for an RB corps as a whole. much better than the last two years for sure.

your math leaves out many factors.  technically an ideal ratio of offense to defensive to special teams play would be 1:3:1. that means you go out and score in one down, get the defense off  the field in 3 and take the field back over with ST in 1.  .. not how it works in the real world obviously, but only illustrating that comparing number of offensive plays to defensive ones is a moot point.      what you should really compare is the number of "won plays" vs the number of "lost plays"  that will tell you where your efficient more than anything.

Posted

sure, if you want to get picky.

it's the principal. get your D off the field quicker and your offense on the field for longer. your defense on the field for less plays and your offense on the field for more.

both sides of the ball be more effective.

not sure that wasn't implied.

Posted

He never said the broken promises were promises made to him.  He was implying that the running back group delivered broken promises for all we know.

Just because the article goes on to say how low Tolbert's numbers were down dosn't define what the broken promise was.

Just let the, "starting to come to life" part get you excited.

1 person likes this

Posted

Its funny how bad almost all of us didn't want him to leave after the 2011 season, including me.

Posted

then he's going to be awfully disappointed this year splitting snaps with williams, stewart, and barner

I bet if the team is winning there will be few complaints.

so why the HC didnt inform his OC to stick to the game plan?

Wondering if Hurney had an influence in this. He seems like he would be gullible to the Chud stuff since he is not a strong football guy. After Hurney was fired things began to change.  It took a couple of games but at least things did change.

I was surprised that Chud got an HC gig after last season.  Cleveland may have done a big favor for us.

Sounds like the players really like Shula.  This is his big opportunity.  No one will be pulling harder for him to succeed than me.

Posted

It's about having on offense that compliments a defense. With this defense, they need to run the ball at least 30 times a game. When you have an offense and a defense doing their own thing, chances are that team will not do well. With Shula, I wouldn't be surprised if our offensive ranking dropped a little but we end up with 11 plus wins. 

Posted

I think our defense will play up to its talent  top 5, and will give the offense more opportunity to score.

Last year in the 2nd part of the season Cam marched the offense down the field in long drives with the help of the running game &  became better in converting in red zone. With a Kalil back and Williams & Kugbila at RG our O-line will help improve the run game which will open up play action. 

I think our offense was top ten in 3rd dwn conversion and goal line last year. If we start the season strong we will have plenty of opportunities to use all of the back field through the season. 

1,000 yds + RB this year for panthers! 

i'm thinking/hoping a couple things happen this year.

1) we have more offensive plays than last year thanks to a faster paced/streamlined offense and the ability to extend drives. last year we had 988 offensive plays vs. 1010 defensive ones. this needs to at least be flipflopped. it's possible for us to be in the top 10 # of defensive plays made and top 10 fewest defensive plays. (we had 10th fewest defensive plays last year vs. 25th most offensive plays...top 10 last year would have been 1040 plays). this means we are more efficient as a team, but also very controlling/dominant, ie, imposing our will on both sides of the ball.

2) we are also balanced between run and pass. i don't mean it has to be 50/50 exactly, but definitely within just a couple percentage points between running and passing. being a top 10 team in regards to offensive plays would mean about 65 plays per game. balanced would have us at around 32 running plays and 32 passing plays.

that 32 would be quite a bit and would have us in the top 3 rushing teams for the year (at least as far as # of rushing plays goes) but even that would be hard to split among the backs we have.

you have to expect that barner will get about 3-4 at least and then tolbert and cam will probably have between 5-7 per game. that would only leave about 8-9 for williams and stewart each per game. it would be nice to get them a few more carries per game, but i just don't see that happening. however, i do think it's a respectable number for an RB corps as a whole. much better than the last two years for sure.

Posted

I don't understand how Chud showcased his coaching ability at the expense of team needs by such an awful record, but hey, it worked, I guess.

Posted

So Chud gets promoted into a head coach spot yet he was the problem.

Doesn't sound likely, but we will find out.

Posted

So Chud gets promoted into a head coach spot yet he was the problem.

Doesn't sound likely, but we will find out.

I know, cause Cleveland has such a proven track record of hiring great coaching talent.

1 person likes this

Posted

We were all scratching our head when he took less to come somewhere to be the 4th runner.

This year he will get his chance bc I think Stewart is going to be out for a while.