Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Religious People Are Less Intelligent Than Atheists, Concludes New Study

138 posts in this topic

Posted

Back in this thread for the brain bowl.

Posted

As religion was created to keep people in line in the first place, not sure how this is news.

Early religious philosophers and even our founding fathers were brilliant people. If they were alive today and able to witness scientific advances and our greater understanding of the universe and how it works they would be agnostic or athiest as well.

Posted

i'm not sure how this study is any kind of a surprise to anyone. no one's saying "christians r retarded lol" (which is the strawman being attacked here by super duper defensive people) but rather establishing the fact that there's a correlation between intelligence and belief. why is it a shocker that an unintelligent person would be more likely than an intelligent person to believe that a man was literally raised from the dead after dying so that we could all go to heaven in the sky if we recite the magic incantation because it says so (according to some people) in this ancient divined infallible text?

this seems like common sense to me.

This is incredibly enlightening and instrumental to the conversation. Such deep, meaningful analyses is needed in society.

Posted

An individual's approach when considering the concept of God is likely more important than their overall intelligence.  

An intuitive approach will more likely lead to accepting the concept of God.

An analytical approach will tend to lead to a rejection of the concept of God.

Brainiacs tend to be analytical, so this study confirms both my intuitive beliefs and my analytical findings. 

1 person likes this

Posted

Good work mav on breaking it down

Posted

An individual's approach when considering the concept of God is likely more important than their overall intelligence.  

An intuitive approach will more likely lead to accepting the concept of God.

An analytical approach will tend to lead to a rejection of the concept of God.

Brainiacs tend to be analytical, so this study confirms both my intuitive beliefs and my analytical findings.

I agree with all of this but take a slight exception with line #3.

An analytical approach can lead you to a scientific "fact" that 10 years ago was a different scientific fact and 10 years from now, might be a whole new slant. I wish I had the article from several years ago where I read that many scientists had actually come to faith and it was precisely because of the movement of scientific discoveries which had discounted former norms. But, on the Huddle, it does not exists if you can't link it, so it won't meand much.

all I am saying is that some find it a slippery slope to put your eggs in one basket when the basket is always evolving. kinda "un" analytical

Posted

he said "tend to," he didn't say "always does," and he's right.

one of the powers of an analytic approach is exactly what you highlight; in the face of new evidence, typically world view doesn't crash and burn, so they can be less resistant to change and new information.  Some religious people are the same way, but in general, if you are an intuitive thinker it is harder to accept new evidence that might 'contradict' old evidence than if you're not looking at things from an analytic perspective, I have found - at least from talking to people that would be described as falling into this two camps.

but meh, personal observation etc.

Posted

Although generally misguided, at least the religious types can recognize that there is a mysterious element to life and the human experience. Atheists on the other hand tend to limit and create for themselves a very narrow perceptional box of reality. To say that this group or that group is definitively smarter than the other is obviously an ignorant argument. These types of articles are worthless, and are seemingly composed with the sole intention of stirring people up.

1 person likes this

Posted

This is incredibly enlightening and instrumental to the conversation. Such deep, meaningful analyses is needed in society.

haha i tried to narrate parts of the christian creed in such a way that highlights the incredulous nature of the claims without dropping sarcasmo bombs on it, but evidently i failed.

Posted

panthro, jase and myself against all comers in a brain bowl. the opposing team may get so far behind where they have no choice but to pray for help. :lol:

Posted

In my academic years, I captained both a history bowl team within the public school system and a bible bowl team with the church I went to. Both teams did extremely well. I was also considered Academically Gifted from the second grade onwards. I took the SAT in the 7th grade as a part of the TIP program.

Nowadays, I consider myself an agnostic and am 11 years into a career within an institution of science.

I would be the brain bowl MVP, and I am smarter than all of you.

Smart being subjective, of course.