Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CRA

Our OL reviewed

65 posts in this topic

Even at the tail end of the Fox-era, our running game has been average and it's been for quite some time now.  I think spirits still ride high on 2008 but honestly, we've had nothing that special since.  

At the end of the day, it's simple: We need a better offensive line

Our whole right side is just downright bad.

Cam's running talent is actually better and gains more yards when he scrambles around during pass plays ......Our running game is going to get better this year due to scheme, return of injured played. I think we have necessary players to help Cam in the offense we just have to get them healthy and play in the right scheme. The running game is going to help Cam out just like Alfred Morris did to RGIII

RB - Stewart & Williams both had 1000yds+ season and one of them is going to repeat it this year

FB- Tolbert probably second best option behind Cam in short yardage situation

TE- Olsen 843 yds .... can be and probably will have over 1000 yds +

WR- Smitty all day every day 1000yds + season

WR- Lafell - 677yds ........

Even with this "no weapon offense" we still where with in aTD reach to win the games in about 8 games last year

With the front 7 we will get the ball back more often & have plenty of opportunities

to score.

Cup is always half full!

We ran a traditional scheme much of last year.....didn't help the RBs. They were inconsistent and average bc the OL.

So going traditional doesn't solve it.

We ran a traditional scheme much of last year.....didn't help the RBs. They were inconsistent and average bc the OL.

If the OL can't block it doesn't matter what scheme you use.

Double Trouble in 2012

First half of the season (7 games - excluded the Saints)

3.1 ypc, 2 TDs

2nd half of the season (7 games - excluded the 2nd Saints game)

3.2 ypc, 1 TD

Everyone keeps saying getting away from the read and going traditional allowed them to thrive last year on the ground and that will makeup for our bad OL......but going traditional didn't do much if anything.

Read option was NOT our problem. Bad OL play was....RBs didn't do better when we got away from it. They just played the Saints....and they ran good against them early in the year as well

1 person likes this

I don't think so first part of the season was more of shotgun & pistol where Cam read the DE and decided to whether to give the ball to the RB or keep it.  

Even with a make shift O-line we still had a top 12 Offense .........so a return of a Pro-bowl center and experience gained by our younger player improves the O-line. In addition changes we made at RG has improved O-line and will be better this year.

I would wait until couple of games in regular season before discrediting the O-line.

So a guy that didn't even play against top college talent and hasn't even really practiced yet is going to come in and fix the oline?

Yea i think so isn't that why he was drafted for????

He has the size, power, athleticism and football instincts (according to Gettleman)  to come in make a impact.

Why do you think the panthers who desperately need a RG would overreach in the draft and pickup  a D-II prospect if there wasn't any upside to him? 

I know he hasn't played a snap yet but you can't also discredit him until he plays a snap in the NFL & fails.

Double Trouble in 2012

First half of the season (7 games - excluded the Saints)

3.1 ypc, 2 TDs

2nd half of the season (7 games - excluded the 2nd Saints game)

3.2 ypc, 1 TD

Everyone keeps saying getting away from the read and going traditional allowed them to thrive last year on the ground and that will makeup for our bad OL......but going traditional didn't do much if anything.

Read option was NOT our problem. Bad OL play was....RBs didn't do better when we got away from it. They just played the Saints....and they ran good against them early in the year as well

2012 season

Tampa- 10 yds

Saints- 219 yds

Giants- 60 yds

Falcons- 199 yds

Seattle - 82 yds

Dallas- 112 yds

Chicago- 119 yds

Redskins- 129 yds

Broncos- 52 yds

Tampa- 97 yds

Eagles - 109 yds

Chiefs - 165 yds

Falcons - 195 yds

Chargers - 155 yds

Oakland - 112 yds

Saints- 273 yds

even if you take the saints game out you see a more consistent and better rushing attack in the 2nd half of the season 

2012 season

Tampa- 10 yds

Saints- 219 yds

Giants- 60 yds

Falcons- 199 yds

Seattle - 82 yds

Dallas- 112 yds

Chicago- 119 yds

Redskins- 129 yds

Broncos- 52 yds

Tampa- 97 yds

Eagles - 109 yds

Chiefs - 165 yds

Falcons - 195 yds

Chargers - 155 yds

Oakland - 112 yds

Saints- 273 yds

even if you take the saints game out you see a more consistent and better rushing attack in the 2nd half of the season

I just broke down the ypc for you on the season it was indentical.....the RBs didn't run better. Myth. Saints game has caused people to distort things.

Double Trouble didn't get better. All that happened was they played NO. That is just a fact.

He has the size, power, athleticism and football instincts (according to Gettleman) to come in make a impact.

Why do you think the panthers who desperately need a RG would overreach in the draft and pickup a D-II prospect if there wasn't any upside to him?

I know he hasn't played a snap yet but you can't also discredit him until he plays a snap in the NFL & fails.

Double post

He has the size, power, athleticism and football instincts (according to Gettleman) to come in make a impact.

Why do you think the panthers who desperately need a RG would overreach in the draft and pickup a D-II prospect if there wasn't any upside to him?

And Jimmy was drafted to be our franchise qb. What's your point? Your putting too much faith into one man that has done nothing to warrant it.