My kids go to a charter school and have flourished and if they went to public I think they would be bored and maybe digress.
If anything this has made many finally look at how bad public schools really are. Competition is good and if it can force public schools hand to change for the better then great.
Where has all this out rage been over public schools been the last 10 years? Where were the protests?
I will say it again. If a child gets a voucher and doesn't do better then it removes the notion more money for teachers will improve a childs test scores.
The common denominator is still the parents/guardian and the child no matter where they go or how much a teacher makes or how new the school is.
Expect more parental involvement and teacher parent relationships and scores go up.
You can't paint all public schools with the same brush.
I teach at what is right now an average public high school. Ten years ago, we were top ten in the state (back when they had the ABC scores that ranked the high schools). The biggest differences I see are
1) Our staff was top notch back then-- I think today we are above average but not top notch.
2) We don't have the level of positive parent involvement we had then
3) We had money to for "extras" (pay teachers for after school tutorials and run extra bus routes for students staying for tutorials
Most of the private and charter schools that boast high test scores fall into one of two categories:
1) Have placement tests (smarter kids get in--wow they do better!)
2) High tuition cost (parents that pay for students to attend are more involved)
3) Open to all students in a geographic location, but have to provide their own transportation (cutting out the poorer kids, who generally score lower)
I have students that have flourished in our public school-- attending all sorts of prestigious universities and receiving scholarships.
Public schools aren't perfect obviously and I agree 100% that they can be improved. I just can't wrap my head around the idea that cutting teacher pay and support staff (assistants) is the way to improve it.