Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why do we have lack of "difference maker" talent at select areas? Lets look.

99 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Well we can also begin with when you try to have three starters at one position that opportunity cost has to be felt somewhere
2 people like this

Posted · Report post

I raged like a 15 year old girl that had been dumped after losing her virginity when we took Luke, I will admit that.

To be fair, you were worse than that

5 people like this

Posted · Report post

I believe that Gettlemagic has already started changing this culture.  At least all signs point to this... I hope so.

3 people like this

Posted · Report post

Well we can also begin with when you try to have three starters at one position that opportunity cost has to be felt somewhere

I was actually editing the post about that very subject.

Posted · Report post

now i'm depressed again.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

now i'm depressed again.

why?

moral of the story is gettleman looks to be righting the ship that hurney ran aground.

Posted · Report post

You were pretty harsh on alot of guys on that list. While Norman has looked better in the preseason the jury is still out on him and he was pretty trash last year. Lets be fair if Edwards is epic bust then Norman is far from solid at this point.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

The Luke pick i liked instantly, great pick was the best LB'er in the draft and any time you pick the best player at position X in the draft and he's not a top 5 pick 9/10 he turns out to be great

Posted · Report post

all this proves to me is that Cam Newton really is fucking amazing

Posted · Report post

To be fair, you were worse than that

and rightfully so. In my mind it was the exact same situation as we had with the Running backs. Had it been a 6th rounder or so I wouldn't have really been all that mad (see Kenjon Barner this year), but Luke was a #9 pick, I had legit reasons. I was dead wrong about his ability tho and I admit that.

I believe that Gettlemagic has already started changing this culture.  At least all signs point to this... I hope so.

One has to hope.

The elephant in the room, I'm sad to say, is how much influence will Richardson have in Gettleman's dealings. I have little to no doubt many of the big deals that were done (Mainly Beason, Kaili, Williams) had some input from JR. How much was him saying "Go Sign Them To Stupid Contracts" will always be a mystery. 

Getts, said he wanted to empower the lines, Offense and Defense. He did this with one and it  appears he is ignoring the other. I don't know if he is ignoring it, playing his cards (most likely and logical), or incapable of signing someone b/c of  upcoming cap issues. For anyone to say he doesn't recognize the right side of the O-line as an issue is being disingenuous and unfair as he is absically a rookie player and we have yet to see enough from him to properly evaluate this. That said, early signs point to him being smart about money and planning for the future.

Posted · Report post

I think you are being way too critical on some of these picks.  For example what ever happened to waiting for 3 years before evaluating a draft class.

Also anytime you find a contributor after the 4th round you are doing great.  Anytime you find a starter outside of the 3rd round you are doing awesome.  Several guys like Hardy and Gettis for example were late round draft picks who have played very well for us.  Sure Gettis has been hurt but you can't know that when you draft them.  And if he returns to form this year ( and it is looking good) he will have been a great pickup.

Edwards may have been a bust up to now but if he shines this year it was still worth it.

Sure we have some big busts but lets compare that to new Orleans for example and you will find they have done worse than Hurney did.  It hasn't killed them or set them back.  Then again they are more active in the free agent market than we have been.

The moral here is if you are going to rely on the draft for all your players you better be good at drafting.  We haven't always done that.