177 replies to this topic

#166 iamhubby1

iamhubby1

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,566 posts
  • LocationSpartanburg, SC

Posted 24 August 2013 - 07:02 PM

Goofy azz thread, is a goofy azz thread.

According to this thread if you like DWill you are a homer, and haven't been paying attention. If you like Barner you are a revolutionary genius. Man, you gotta love this place.

Yet very few folks even tried to answer the question. The sad part is, few even tried. All everyone wanted to do was throw in their 2 cents and sound smart.

If any of you can truly tell me how the running game will look week 1, then I will listen. Until that miraculously comes to pass, I will refrain from believing any of you DWill haters.

Ya, let's replace a RB with an almost 5ypc career with a rookie. Smart thinking like that is what you come to expect from way too many Huddlers.

As has been stated. Giving DWill 7-9 carries a game, and you don't know what you'll get. Get him close to 20 carries, and he will get you close to 100 yards. The problem is, we don't feed him. Yet you want him to produce like we do.

Some fans will find ANYTHING to worry over. This is just another example.

Sorry for the rant. But you folks slay me.

#167 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 25,975 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 07:27 PM

if it's Barner then trade DW muy pronto for an O lineman.

He is 30 with a fat contract....and hasn't been a beast in recent years...I don't think our phone would be ringing if we put that out there

#168 Fan01

Fan01

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 09:23 PM

He is 30 with a fat contract....and hasn't been a beast in recent years...I don't think our phone would be ringing if we put that out there

Yeah, that 210 yards in the last real game he played sucked.

#169 BMorgan

BMorgan

The Mad Mead Maker

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 10:04 PM

It is just not smart football these days to subject running backs to the punishment that the can be subjected to running behind crappy O-Lines.

While Barner may get a yard more with his bowling ball approach, he or any other RB with that style will not be able to hold up to the pounding (which is probably why J-Stew can't stay healthy).

The O-line needs to be improved or our RB's and QB will be sitting ducks.

I'm also hopeful that what we are sandbagging the Preseason and will come out with a better scheme Week 1.

#170 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

Freddy Frashbear

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,685 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 10:22 PM

According to this thread if you like DWill you are a homer, and haven't been paying attention. If you like Barner you are a revolutionary genius. Man, you gotta love this place.

Yea you pretty much nailed it right there

If any of you can truly tell me how the running game will look week 1, then I will listen. Until that miraculously comes to pass, I will refrain from believing any of you DWill haters.

Judging from the way the offensive line is playing, and DeAngelo's historically abysmal performances in regular season week ones, you'll probably be a believer.

lol or maybe you won't and just ignore the statement you made here and keep on rantin' gainst dem hatars

Ya, let's replace a RB with an almost 5ypc career with a rookie. Smart thinking like that is what you come to expect from way too many Huddlers.

You say almost 5ypc I say 30 years old. Which stat you think's going to hold more weight in the end?

As has been stated. Giving DWill 7-9 carries a game, and you don't know what you'll get. Get him close to 20 carries, and he will get you close to 100 yards. The problem is, we don't feed him. Yet you want him to produce like we do.

Really? Why hasn't anybody figured this out? It's like that time in 2010 where we played san fran and DeAngelo had 19 carries for 44 yards.... if Fox ran him just one more time he would've broken a 50 yarder to get close to 100.

DeAngelo doesn't eclipse a benchmark yardage total on a set amount of carries because the coach decided that day to give him that many carries regardless of the situation. Basically the way it works is that if he's finding holes and getting yards he gets more carries. If he's getting hit 2 yards behind the scrimmage and line-dancing with blitzing backers off the edge for no gain the whole time, you don't run him 20 times because you ignore the fact that you're going 3 and out every drive or can't cross the 50. Many people criticize DeAngelo because of the waste of a contract extension he was given, which, to this point, has been a total wash.

#171 neverlosethefeeling

neverlosethefeeling

• HUDDLER
  • 3,357 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 10:24 PM

I think Barner will have better success under this bad offensive line than Williams. We saw it last night when Barner gained at least a yard or two on plays that Deangelo lost a few yards.

Why is this?

Deangelo is a wait and see runningback. He doesn't hit the line as fast as he can. He has good patience and tries to allow time for the blocks to develop holes. The problem is, the offensive line isn't developing any for him to run through. This results in what we have all seen, Deangelo running along the line looking for room and getting tackled for a loss of two.

Barner on the other hand doesn't have the experience to allow those blocks to develop. This is a negative that is actually a positive for us. He hits the first small opening fast and gets a couple of yards. This is actually a net 4 yards than if Williams was running the ball.

Is Barner a better runner at this point than Williams? nope

Is Barner a better option behind a god awful offensive line? Maybe so.

Steve Smith did an interview during camp where he was talking about Barner and the thing he specifically mentioned was for a guy as young as Barner he's so patient as a runner. That was one thing that Smitty said he actually envied about Barner.

So, what are you basing this on? It seems like your logic is sound, I just don't know if it's valid.

#172 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 25,975 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 10:31 PM

Yeah, that 210 yards in the last real game he played sucked.

Yeah...he beasted on the worst D in the history of the sport.

I think other teams will look at the rest of his work, age and contract though...

and the only people using the word DeAngelo and suck in the same sentence are those defending him against people that never have used the word

#173 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

Freddy Frashbear

• HUDDLER
  • 14,685 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 10:35 PM

go back one week and check out that 1.9 ypc stinker he put up against the Raiders defense ...who ranked bottom 5

so the question is does a defense have to be historically bad at this point for DeAngelo to look as good as advertised on this board?

#174 carolinanimal

carolinanimal

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts
  • LocationConcord, NC

Posted 24 August 2013 - 10:51 PM

i actually think tolbert and stewart will be better behind this line. they are the best running backs on the team as far as getting yards after contact. 

#175 sanjay_rajput

sanjay_rajput

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts
  • Locationstarkville, ms

Posted 24 August 2013 - 11:40 PM

I'm betting my money that by end of the season 90 % of people on huddle are going to be eating their own words when the run game show up this year...... Rivera said J-Stew and Tolbert are going to back by week 1 ...their impact on the run game is serverly underestimated by fellow Huddlers

#176 amcoolio

amcoolio

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 11:45 PM

Barner would start if he had any idea how to block. 

If you want Cam to get killed and to be the worst offense in the league, start Barner.

We need to worry about blocking first and who can run the ball better second.

#177 Darknight

Darknight

Official Rep Keeper

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  • LocationKinston

Posted 25 August 2013 - 02:54 PM

This is like saying we should start Jimmy Clausen over Cam Newton since our offensive line sucks and Cam doesn't have much time to throw downfield and Clausen is the check down king and we can consistently move the ball with Clausen than with Newton

You realize how idiotic that sounded? Start Pickles over Cam? Apply same logic here.

#178 carolinarolls

carolinarolls

Mel's brother Del

• HUDDLER
  • 5,410 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:25 PM

dwill hits the hole just fine when it matters and he did so tunneling under ffor 5-6 in the first series of the first pseason game this year.

no reason doing that in pseason once you show you can and you are not working for a job.  

not worried about dwill

barner will be an asset

if tolbert and stewart ever get on the field we will have bar none the best backfield (inc. Cam) in the league

IF they get on board and each one balls out ever snap they get it might get silly.  The one thing I wonder about Shula above all else is how much he understands how to use 3 backs (much less 4) who each have their special talents and who each have real NFL starter talent.  he's a QB guy from what I understand and he has a non-conventional guy under center and a stable full of stud RB's.  This is what always made me nervous about that promotion.  How in the hell is he going to use them all?  We will see.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Carolina Panthers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com