135 replies to this topic

#1 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,084 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:17 AM

A WHOLE PIE!

On paper, the Panthers offense against the Seahawks looks almost palatable.

Cam Newton threw with good accuracy, no interceptions, and a touchdown.  Deangelo Williams averaged 4.75 yards per carry.  If you read those statistics without watching the game you might assume the Panthers won the game.

The fact that the offense put together only 7 points has many people, myself included, scratching our heads.

Deangelo-Williams-Panthers.jpg

I can best explain what I believe the Panthers offense was doing in boxing terms. Keep moving and throw lots of short jabs. Protect yourself from a devastating blow. Don't wind up for a knockout punch, it may backfire. Let the match play out and hope you kept it close enough for a judges decision.

This is the type of offense that Panthers offensive coordinator is known for. An offense that drives fans crazy, but defensive head coaches enjoy. Tony Dungy liked it in Tampa. Apparently Ron Rivera likes it here. These coaches relish the opportunity for defenses to win games.

However, the Panthers in game 1 took it too far in the conservative direction.

Here are three simple ways to improve on offense that can easily be implemented.

1. Let Cam be Cam. Cam Newton is a talent that should not be wasted like his name is Dilfer. One of Cam's strengths is the accuracy of his long ball. It makes no sense to acquire Tedd Ginn, who was open for the long ball yesterday, and not throw it to him. Even if incomplete a long pass play helps our offense by forcing the safeties to drop back in coverage and giving the short game more room to work. If you don't threaten deep, you may complete passes, but  you won't go anywhere. Cam Newton's career low passing yards against the Seahawks are an indication that this is the case.

2. Keep them guessing. Third downs yesterday were extremely predictable, especially in short yardage situations. Shula has a history of this. I commented in the preseason that fans should get used to seeing a run up the gut on third downs. The Panthers need to add a variety of options on third down. A QB keeper  after a play fake, a short slant to Smith, a pitch to the outside, anything but run up the gut. It is a safe bet that defensive coordinators have scouted Shula's Tampa days, if yesterday's game is any indication, they have done so for good reason. His tendencies have not changed.

3. Speed it up. I don't recall one play yesterday where the Seahawk defense was rushed or needed more time to get set up correctly. This happened numerous times to the Panthers defense. Going into a hurry up mode or even a no huddle unexpectedly would be a nice left hook to the chin.

4. Impose your will. This is not a X's and O's type of solution, but more of a mind set. Taking what the defense gives you is safe, but often it is not good enough. Afterall, they are giving it to you for a reason. You are falling into their game plan trap. Instead, attack them where they feel they are safe. In boxing terms, this knocks them back on their heels and makes them question their strategy. Winning offenses attack aggressively, losing offenses settle passively.

Click here to view the article

#2 KARASMATIC444

KARASMATIC444

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:24 AM

Well to be honest, against the seahawks i can see why. We didnt want to give them a bunch of picks. i hope we had a very safe game plan for that game only and will be more aggressive in others. i think the dbs on the hawks had us draw up a game plan to not let them be part of the game.

#3 SpeedOFLight

SpeedOFLight

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,060 posts
  • LocationGreensboro NC

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:25 AM

Good assessment Zod. Hopefully next week, we take it to the bills!

#4 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,448 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina/Virginia

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:27 AM

So where is the write up on how the Seahawks need to fix their running game?

It wasn't all bad...

#5 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,084 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:28 AM

Well to be honest, against the seahawks i can see why. We didnt want to give them a bunch of picks.

How did that work out for us.

#6 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • 23,448 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina/Virginia

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:34 AM

12-7 loss to a Super Bowl contender because of a fumble on the 7 yard line and The Huddle goes bat sh*t crazy.

Some things never change.

Eliminate the turnovers, mental errors (such as penalties), and the drops and this post goes from how to fix our offense to why we will go to the Super Bowl.

#7 t48

t48

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationRaleigh

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:34 AM

Well said Z,

Shula need to stop listing to ESPN and their complaint that Cam was the highest rusher last season. Who gives a fug? When Cam played like Cam the offense found themselves ahead by double digits before the half of many games last season. This mature, pocket passer bs can suck all my nu_s! Cam played with no emotion yesterday. Forgive my language but I'm pissed.

#8 Pox 08

Pox 08

Luck of the Fryrish

• HUDDLER
  • 2,316 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:35 AM

Good write up.

As far as Shula goes..   I don't know yet.     I know the Hawks have a great secondary and the fear of a pick 6 may have led to Shula's conservative playcalling. 

The Bills secondary isn't nearly as good as the Seahawks.    If the playcalling remains the same,  then,  I'll be right there with you on the "Shula Sucks" bandwagon. 

I've my fingers crossed that they'll let Cam launch it a few times next week.    If they don't,  then to take that away from him,  is a major hit for the entire team. 

#9 d-dave

d-dave

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:35 AM

Great points O'fearless Leader!  I am fully in agreement that if we don't attack, we don't unless the Cam, it's going to be a LONG, PAINFUL season.

Looking at the big, franchise picture, the Panthers must get some life back into the offense next week.  TDs sell tickets, jerseys, and improve the brand.  Great D is fine, but unless you can put some big offensive plays on Sportscenter (or whatever), you're not making money in the 21st century of NFL football.

If this continues, we will have a new coach in 2014.  Here's hoping it was just a below average game plan, and the coaches can get something together to put the Bills D on its heels.

#10 KARASMATIC444

KARASMATIC444

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:36 AM

It sucked, i am still mad, i just hope that was a  conscious pear down to play against the hawks strong point, and not our base offense for the future. i do feel that we could have won that game with that plan if we had not fumbled. the problem with playing it safe is if a turnover still happens on your safe plan you are screwed. I do think that if we had gotten the ball back we would have seen a different set of plays as we tried to win. Its all very much foxball. and im ok with it to some extent. just not to the point of handcuffing Cam. they need to find the balance. It will take them a few weeks to figure out just what works.  

#11 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 14,000 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:37 AM

Newton himself said that the long routes were there, he just didn't go to them.

#12 GotSwag?

GotSwag?

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:38 AM

I liked what we did yesterday.  Execution let us down.  Newton had one bad pass to Olsen that could have been a big gain.  Olsen dropped another that could have been a big gain.  Then of course the fumble by Williams and punt where the ball hit Thomas and they recovered.

All in all, I believe our offense will open up, play faster, etc...but yesterday we had the perfect game plan.  Our defense is legit folks, and if DeAngelo doesnt fumble that ball, that Seahawks D was done for and we probably win that game and its different story today.

I just hope the team keeps the confidence.  This could be a special year.  Just gotta learn how to make the plays when it matters.

#13 CLTPanther

CLTPanther

This Space for Rent

• HUDDLER
  • 4,929 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:38 AM

Probably would have worked just fine had D-will not fumbled

#14 The Huddler

The Huddler

St. Thomas Aquinas

• HUDDLER
  • 3,874 posts
  • LocationRadford University

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:39 AM

2011 offense + 2013 defense = championship.

We need to take shots downfield and be aggresive.

#15 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • 16,371 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:41 AM

12-7 loss to a Super Bowl contender because of a fumble on the 7 yard line and The Huddle goes bat sh*t crazy.

Why yes, I'm happy just losing to good teams.  It gives me a warm fuzzy feeling inside.  Effort is what matters in the sport, anyway.  Everyone is a winner.  The entire NFCS gets a nice little trophy regardless of where they finish.

Alternatively, we can see the opportunities we had to take control of a game and beat that Super Bowl contender into the ground in the first half, that we failed to do.  We lacked the killer instinct, and I think that comes from the top.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Carolina Panthers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.