Photo
- - - - -

UNC Alumni/Fans - How Do You Feel About Mack Brown?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

The Thread Killer (Since 2004)

• Moderators
  • 14,630 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 01:11 PM

Is there a part of you that is enjoying his demise in Texas? I was a kid when he was at UNC, but I had so many great memories of his teams here and I wouod consider that the best period of UNC football in my lifetime. I remember winning games on primetime/national tv and them doing interviews with Dre Bly afterwards. It's the last time I remember being consistently good in football and being ranked in the top 25.

Tbh, I liked multiple teams growing up, but thst was the first team that I felt proud of as far as UNC football goes, so naturally I was pissed when Brown left. So, yes... Yes, I am delighting somewhat in his downfall at Texas now.

#2 dos poptarts

dos poptarts

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 08:56 AM

My friend who is a UNC fan, still to this day, will only refer to him as "Traitor Brown". Tucked tail and ran because he couldn't beat Florida State. Of course I think it the very next year NCSU stunned the world and beat FSU. Thank you Torry Holt.

#3 Hugor Hill

Hugor Hill

It's not easy being drunk all the time

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 12:03 PM

I don't blame him one bit. I was miffed and upset that he left UNC when he did, but now that i'm older and can see things in a different light, I understand what he did and why he did it. UNC was never going to be considered a national title contender in football, ever. We're labeled as a basketball school. His record the last 2 years, we had double digit wins and even finished ranked 4th, and we were invited to the Gator Bowl. The nation and media had no respect for UNC football, and you gotta remember, he was at UNC at the same time as the guy who was the basketball coach, I think his name was, Smith? Dean Smith? yeah. Why stay at a school that's obviously going to always be second fiddle to basketball and never be considered a nat'l title contender when you can go to a "football" school like Texas and win a nat'l title and be a contender year in and year out. Not so much the past couple of years, but still.

TL:DR - Mack did what he thought best for himself and family, I don't blame him one bit for leaving.

#4 4Corners

4Corners

suck me beautiful

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,952 posts
  • Location704

Posted 20 September 2013 - 12:28 PM

Brown is a good coach, but I do believe he's done everything he can possibly do at Texas. There is a legitimate chance he's gone after this season. Don't blame him for leaving UNC, either. Because he did about as much there as he could do at the time. 

Something about him that bugs me though is he appears to be a bit too "old school."

He's one of the few big time coaches who is against a BCS playoff system and was against a B12 title game. He's also been inclined to be a jerk. The salary thing a few years ago. The infamous urban legend regarding he and Steve Spurrier while Spurrier was in Durham. He's also one of the highest ranking coaches in amateur football. That and being very opinionated can sometimes rub people the wrong way. PLUS his recruiting of skill position players has dropped off significantly. 

I do think it's safe to say that his days are numbered in Austin and there is an article floating around ESPN & NBC that Texas is sniffing around Saban. Brown, if fired, would have a job in a week if he wanted one. A lot of people at UNC (not me) would probably take him back in a heart beat. FTR - I am not a Larry Fedora fan. 

#5 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

The Thread Killer (Since 2004)

• Moderators
  • 14,630 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 07:20 PM

I was excited about Fedora initially, but the luster is wearing off. Dude could give a crap less about defense, and it is killing us.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.