Photo
- - - - -

Charles Johnson restructures contract -saves $4.26 Million (old thread bumped)

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#76 Leeroy Jenkins PhD

Leeroy Jenkins PhD

HCIC

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • LocationHouston Texas

Posted 16 September 2013 - 03:05 PM

The only scenario where this makes sense in my head is that we are planning on trading CJ......  Why else would we cut his salary down this year? We currently have almost 8 million in cap room.  I doubt there is a veteran player on the market seeking more than that.

I can dream, but how great would it be to trade CJ to the 49ers for Greg Roman and some of those draft picks (they have 6 in the first 3 rounds).

*Just typing this feels like I am playing Madden.  (Only in Madden, we win games)

#77 Firefox

Firefox

This Board Rocks

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 03:14 PM

The only scenario where this makes sense in my head is that we are planning on trading CJ......  Why else would we cut his salary down this year? We currently have almost 8 million in cap room.  I doubt there is a veteran player on the market seeking more than that.

I can dream, but how great would it be to trade CJ to the 49ers for Greg Roman and some of those draft picks (they have 6 in the first 3 rounds).

*Just typing this feels like I am playing Madden.  (Only in Madden, we win games)

Not reasonable.  We just converted salary to signing bonus.  You don't trade guaranteed signing bonus money.  We're on the hook for that whether he is here or not.

#78 Leeroy Jenkins PhD

Leeroy Jenkins PhD

HCIC

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • LocationHouston Texas

Posted 16 September 2013 - 03:20 PM

Not reasonable.  We just converted salary to signing bonus.  You don't trade guaranteed signing bonus money.  We're on the hook for that whether he is here or not.

If we were looking to trade CJ to a team with limited cap room, taking the financial hit ourselves through a signing bonus would make sense.  

The problem would occur when the rest of the guaranteed money accelerates spread over this year and next years cap.  

#79 BlanksKarma

BlanksKarma

Falcons Loser

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:02 PM

If you want to troll, you know which sub forum to do it in. You've been here long enough. Cut it out.

No trolling here, just asking legitimate questions to a couple of guys whos opinion I respect.

#80 Mother Grabber

Mother Grabber

Gettlemagic 2.0

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,762 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:50 PM

If we're saving money this season, but not bringing anyone in...and we're not saving any money to bring anyone in for next season, then this is the FO saying that they are giving up on this year and trying to save some $$ for the bottom line.  Saving money for one season, but not using it, is not a football move, it's a business move.

If we don't see any roster action this week, then I guess we have our answer.

#81 Leeroy Jenkins PhD

Leeroy Jenkins PhD

HCIC

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • LocationHouston Texas

Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:52 PM

If we're saving money this season, but not bringing anyone in...and we're not saving any money to bring anyone in for next season, then this is the FO saying that they are giving up on this year and trying to save some $$ for the bottom line.  Saving money for one season, but not using it, is not a football move, it's a business move.

If we don't see any roster action this week, then I guess we have our answer.

This IMO is worst case scenario.

I take that back, bringing in T3bow is worse case scenario.

#82 Mother Grabber

Mother Grabber

Gettlemagic 2.0

• HUDDLER
  • 12,762 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:55 PM

if we sign Teabag, I'll shoot myself in the face on live TV.

#83 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,465 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:55 PM

We restructured Nakamura to save like 10 bucks, I think he must be putting some language into the contracts that will help us in the future and that's why he's doing these moves that don't appear to be all that helpful in the immediate.

#84 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,465 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 05:09 PM

Joe Person @josephperson 55m

Panthers restructured Johnson last week, before the spate of injuries in the Bills' game.

#85 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • 5,418 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 05:12 PM

For those thinking this is a precursor to another move, keep in mind that things like this don´t happen overnight. Chances are Gettleman and CJ´s agent have been working on this for awhile.

It is probably nothing more than part of our cap strategy going forward.

#86 MHS831

MHS831

• HUDDLER
  • 6,897 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 05:26 PM

Not call in you out or anything CRA, just an honest question and anyone feel free to answer.

What FA is there out there that is going to magically fix these issues?

I honestly don't know who is left out there. Usually it is old guys or scrubs at this point.

Bingo.  Spending money does not fix problems (see Hurney, Marty). 

I, however, share CRA's frustration.

#87 CPF4LIFE

CPF4LIFE

• HUDDLER
  • 4,608 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 05:41 PM

Trade CJ to the Jaguars for Shorts, Blackmon or Eugene Monroe.

#88 TheRed

TheRed

California Dreamin'

• HUDDLER
  • 13,267 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 16 September 2013 - 06:06 PM

No trolling here, just asking legitimate questions to a couple of guys whos opinion I respect.

So out of the blue you ask about us "moving on" from our QB while we're only two games into the season in a thread about Charles Johnson restructuring his contract? You and I both know what you are doing here, lol.

Shame we don't play you guys until November.

#89 Promethean Forerunner

Promethean Forerunner

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 6,672 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 16 September 2013 - 06:11 PM

Why would we get rid of Cam? Honest question. You've seen what he's done to your defense, and other defenses across the league these last two years. He's got a bigger cannon than your Matt Ryan and monstrous size and athleticism to go along with it. Is that logical? No. Take a glance at Kaepernick, he had similar mechanical issues as well (still does -- however has greatly improved) but Harbaugh sat him a year, and built a system around him.

Carolina simply needs a head coach and staff that knows how to employ Cam's abilities.

#90 tiger7_88

tiger7_88

old skool SWAG

• HUDDLER
  • 4,356 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 06:36 PM

With this much cap space, there have to be some kind of moves pending.

That would be nice.

I ain't gettin' my hopes up.

I tend to think what is gonna happen is we sign "bodies".

I wonder if Robert Lester could be activated?  I mean, except for Rhodes, are there any sure-fire replacements that we know are absolutely better than him?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.