Our WR's can't get YAC's

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#16 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 24,242 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 12:56 PM

Some of this is on Newton, actually. The QBs job is to get the ball to the receiver in a way that makes it easier for them to get YACs.

A lot of it is our passing scheme. Big chunk.

#17 Chaos

Chaos

@chaos_cltsports

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,810 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:11 PM

This league figures out all the young QB's, that's how it works. Those who can rise above it and stay one step ahead will eventually succeed. It was said of Cam repeatedly last year. Now these idiots need to man up that these guys may not be all that they continued to shove down our throats.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

#18 CelibatePimp

CelibatePimp

BAMF

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 11:09 PM

Cam need to lead his receivers with some of his throws. There was a completion to Olsen against the Giants where he was on his own but by the time he made the catch, he could barely stay in bounds. Actually it's been a while since I saw Cam complete a pass to a receiver in stride. Most have been on these come back routes and crossing routes (where they usually get tackled right away). Maybe a deep threat like Ted Ginn can help with that.

#19 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 37,388 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 26 September 2013 - 11:19 PM

Not all that surprising when you have a longball gunslinger type quarterbacking a Coryell offense.

A lot of Newton's passes will be long in the air, meaning by the time they get to their target they'll likely have someone close to catching up (not necessarily close enough to cover, but close enough to tackle).  many will also be near the sideline or, as others have mentioned, in the end zone.

And yeah, Newton's ball placement isn't such that he hits a lot of guys in stride.  Receivers tend to have to adjust.  But again, since they tend to be long passes anyway, not that big a problem.

We're not running a WCO where you just throw it to a guy short and expect him to make something of it.  Granted, we are capable of doing that (especially with Smith and Ginn) but the attack isn't predicated on that sort of principle.

Long as it's effective, it's just a trade off.  No big deal.

#20 d-dave

d-dave

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 06:41 AM

Great points Mr. Scot!

Those plays will come.  Cam has to settle in and hit his receivers more in stride.  They need a few bad tackles and angles (which happen).  It will happen.  I'm not stressed so long as we can string together some win.

An appropriate Fox quote:  "Stats are for losers"

And Al Davis "Just win, baby"

I hope we can apply those two quotes much more frequently this season.

#21 FireMarshallBill

FireMarshallBill

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 27 September 2013 - 07:48 AM

A few more plays like his last TD pass to Ginn will fix this right up.

#22 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • 14,146 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 07:52 AM

I said from day one he wasn't anything like people said he was. All you had to do was watch him play in college, it's like these analysts heard someone say something once and then they all just repeated each other.

The media echo chamber is a very real thing and even people in the media will admit it.

#23 mbarbour21

mbarbour21

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 08:17 AM

Not concerned with. Just win baby!

RG3 may have thrown for more YAC, but we haven't been losing like 31-0 this year. Wish the experts would have expertise.

#24 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 10,875 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 08:27 AM

Some of this is on Newton, actually. The QBs job is to get the ball to the receiver in a way that makes it easier for them to get YACs.

Yep.

You'll get flamed for this btw.

#25 ItsNotGonnaBeAlright

ItsNotGonnaBeAlright

Insane Racist Moron

• HUDDLER
  • 6,153 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 08:46 AM

So what you're saying is that 71.7% of his passing yardage is based soley on his ability alone and that is a league high?

Hang on, my homer glasses are dusty....

#26 ItsPantone278

ItsPantone278

ItsPantone278

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 08:58 AM

Meaningless stat but very interesting nonetheless. Stewart and a fully healthy Tolbert can likely help. The few screens we've tried have failed.

#27 CPcavedweller

CPcavedweller

• HUDDLER
  • 2,281 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 09:31 AM

It is very hard to screen with a qb like Cam as the defense will have players spying on him on all plays, those spies will also be in great position to get to the screen receiver.

No screens == less YAC.

Same reasoning with quick throws, Cam can buy himself time so no need to use them (of course unless your RT is named Bell and Mario Williams are on the other team...).

That, and the strongest arm in the league.

This isn't madden, we have no yac because our receivers do not create seperation. Simple as that, it's not like they catch the ball and stop running.

#28 CPcavedweller

CPcavedweller

• HUDDLER
  • 2,281 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 09:36 AM

Talent and ability are overused words. Replace talent with skill and ability with nothing. Just use skill, their all talented, we get it.

#29 thefuzz

thefuzz

coppin a feel

• HUDDLER
  • 8,015 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 09:37 AM

Three things.

Scheme

Cam

WR's and RB's

I don't worry about Yac as much as I worry about us getting into the endzone, that's the only thing that matters to me.

#30 OneBadCat

OneBadCat

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,381 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 10:38 AM

Colin looks as bad as I thought he was. I never thought he passed the proverbial eye test but still managed to get it done. He has no form and in my opinion is awkward in the pocket. He's fast, he can throw the hell out of the ball but he is not as accurate as he needs to be to beat man to man consistently, especially if his receivers continue to struggle and the play calling stays the same.

ESPN put him up, it's time for the fans to start tearing him down. I feel for him because he's not in an ideal situation offensively and their play calling was unimaginative as can be.

The only thing I see CK being able to make plays off of is designed roll outs. Or he waits in the pocket until protection breaks down and makes a play when coverage has to break.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.