Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do we rebuild like the Jags or retool like the Cheifs?

41 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Gettleman's kind of already started a 'rebuilding' type process that I'd expect to continue next season.

This.  The only reason Rivera is still here is because JR stipulated it.  We should've just let Gettleman go ahead and gut the staff and bring in his own staff.

2 people like this

Posted · Report post

Neither.

We implode like the Giants. Jerry has always tried to make this franchise the NYG's of the south. He has suckceded.

Posted · Report post

This.  The only reason Rivera is still here is because JR stipulated it.  We should've just let Gettleman go ahead and gut the staff and bring in his own staff.

Yep.  That decision was made before Gettleman was ever hired.

I can understand not forcing Rivera to twist in the wind through the whole GM hire process, but I think it's abundantly clear at this point that Rivera just isn't the guy.

Posted · Report post

Yep.  That decision was made before Gettleman was ever hired.

I can understand not forcing Rivera to twist in the wind through the whole GM hire process, but I think it's abundantly clear at this point that Rivera just isn't the guy.

I am of the opposite train of thought.  I don't get hiring a new GM and forcing the existing coaching staff on him.  Seems like you're kind of undercutting your GM right off the bat.

Posted · Report post

I am of the opposite train of thought.  I don't get hiring a new GM and forcing the existing coaching staff on him.  Seems like you're kind of undercutting your GM right off the bat.

Players being solidly behind Rivera was a big factor.

I can understand why he did it, and there's some logic to seeing if Rivera can succeed with a new GM (the Bears did the same thing with Lovie Smith).

I just think that question is now answered.

Posted · Report post

I dont think that you could call what the Jags are doing "rebuilding"

Posted · Report post

I can understand why he did it, and there's some logic to seeing if Rivera can succeed with a new GM (the Bears did the same thing with Lovie Smith).

I get it, I just think the situation could've been handled better.  I don't think JR should've come out and publicly said that Rivera would remain no matter who was hired as GM. If he wanted Rivera to have another chance, that could be handled with the GM candidates behind the scene.  I don't think the owner should make decisions like that and publicly announce them.  Just seems that it undercuts the authority of the GM.

Posted · Report post

I will kill the person who decides to rebuild this team. All we need is a new culture: retool.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Fancy way of saying he still had a year left on his contract that JR'd be on the hook for.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

That is a tough question. But talent wise I would say re-tool. Character wise rebuild. So I don't know. In Gettleman I trust.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

Posted · Report post

I get it, I just think the situation could've been handled better.  I don't think JR should've come out and publicly said that Rivera would remain no matter who was hired as GM. If he wanted Rivera to have another chance, that could be handled with the GM candidates behind the scene.  I don't think the owner should make decisions like that and publicly announce them.  Just seems that it undercuts the authority of the GM.

Maybe.  All hindsight now.

I'm actually looking forward to a head coaching search being conducted by a true football guy.

2 people like this

Posted · Report post

Maybe.  All hindsight now.

I'm actually looking forward to a head coaching search being conducted by a true football guy.

Me too... if JR is willing to open the wallet and doesn't hamstring Gettleman with a budget that simply excludes proven winners or hot prospects simply because there's a lot more money elsewhere.

1 person likes this