Gil Brandt: Hakeem Nicks to Panthers Make Sense

• Please log in to reply
159 replies to this topic

#121 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,431 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 01:02 PM

But it's just like you to leave out key information.

Ok. If long past seasons are what you want to debate then I counter with Jonathan Stewart had over 1,000 yards and 10 TD's in 2009.

OH WERE YOU GONNA JUST LEAVE THAT OUT?!!1!!! WHAT DO YOU HAVE TO HIDE?!!11!

#122 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,852 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 17 October 2013 - 01:25 PM

Free agent / trade WRs have an unfortunate habit of becoming bad investments. A pretty good number of them don't duplicate the success they had on their old team with their new one.

Some do. A lot don't.

That's as big a reason as anything why I'm hesitant to give something up to get him.

#123 CarolinaCoolin

CarolinaCoolin

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 2,919 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 17 October 2013 - 02:26 PM

Ok. If long past seasons are what you want to debate then I counter with Jonathan Stewart had over 1,000 yards and 10 TD's in 2009.

OH WERE YOU GONNA JUST LEAVE THAT OUT?!!1!!! WHAT DO YOU HAVE TO HIDE?!!11!

You love trying to change subjects and deflect don't you?

#124 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,431 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 02:57 PM

You love trying to change subjects and deflect don't you?

Are we or are we not talking about a trade, Stewart for Nicks?

#125 monkey48

monkey48

NOT NEWB

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 02:59 PM

Nicks makes sense, but isn't worth losing Stewart for. I do think Stewart won't be a Panther in 2 years time unless he proves he can stay healthy and is willing to take a major pay cut. If we could get Nicks and some later picks for Lafell and our 3rd rounder then I might be interested.

#126 TheRed

TheRed

California Dreamin'

• HUDDLER
  • 12,712 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 17 October 2013 - 03:01 PM

I think we'd have to get the folks in the Giants front office highly inebriated before they would even consider taking Stewart's contract.

#127 Cary Kollins

Cary Kollins

keep lbing

• HUDDLER
  • 5,814 posts
  • LocationWinston-Salem, NC

Posted 17 October 2013 - 03:02 PM

I think we'd have to get the folks in the Giants front office highly inebriated before they would even consider taking Stewart's contract.

Hmmm maybe we should be dealing with the Broncos.

#128 Razeyfingers

Razeyfingers

• HUDDLER
  • 3,298 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 03:51 PM

If we trade for Hicks, does he help us right now?

lol a wideout whos going to magically learn our offense in a week. How often does that happen mid-year with receivers? Historically, has that even EVER happened?

#129 TheRumGone

TheRumGone

mountain man

• HUDDLER
  • 7,813 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 17 October 2013 - 04:51 PM

lol a wideout whos going to magically learn our offense in a week. How often does that happen mid-year with receivers? Historically, has that even EVER happened?

brandon lloyd

put up close to a thousand and 5 tds.

about 300 with denver after 4 games

about 700 with st louis in the remaining games

#130 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 36,852 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 17 October 2013 - 05:09 PM

Hmmm maybe we should be dealing with the Broncos.

:lol:

#131 The Huddler

The Huddler

St. Thomas Aquinas

• HUDDLER
  • 3,902 posts
  • LocationRadford University

Posted 17 October 2013 - 05:14 PM

Oh wait... No... It all makes sense now! Lets give Beason away for peanuts and then trade away a young RB for Nicks, when by all accounts it appears that LaFell has cemented the same role on our team as Nicks would give us.

Oh but wait, Nicks is way better than LaFail TCF....and has been doing it for longer. And Stewart hasn't seen the field in like 4 years... So we should just trade Stew for another "late round pick" because at least we'd get something for him and offload his horrible contract and save tons of money!

TCF you're such a moron! Nicks is so awesome, plus he's from Carolina!!! Just look at his production this year... Nicks is totally worth trading Stewart for...GOSH!

Am I doing it right?

booooo!

#132 CarolinaCoolin

CarolinaCoolin

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 2,919 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 17 October 2013 - 05:14 PM

Didn't the pats get randy moss in the middle of the year?

#133 TheRed

TheRed

California Dreamin'

• HUDDLER
  • 12,712 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 17 October 2013 - 05:19 PM

Pats acquired Randy Moss in April of 2007.

#134 Woodie

Woodie

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 07:04 PM

It really wouldn't be all that bad.  We'd eat his bonus, so the Giants would only be responsible for just over half a year of his 2013 base salary.  Typically, most players in the NFL don't have their base salary guaranteed (so I'm assuming neither does Stew).  And if they don't think he's worth his salary, they could then release him at seasons end without owing him anything more.  However, if they do want to keep him, but not at that price, they can try to renegotiate his contract. 

Bottom line is it's really a low risk situation for the Giants.  The question is if they would even want Stew...particularly since it's unlikely he'll see the field prior to the trade deadline so they won't know about his health.  Not to mention that we might not want to let him go, or even have any interest in Nicks.  But if both teams do have interest, the trade does make sense for both teams.     

#135 TheRed

TheRed

California Dreamin'

• HUDDLER
  • 12,712 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 17 October 2013 - 07:24 PM

It really wouldn't be all that bad. We'd eat his bonus, so the Giants would only be responsible for just over half a year of his 2013 base salary. Typically, most players in the NFL don't have their base salary guaranteed (so I'm assuming neither does Stew). And if they don't think he's worth his salary, they could then release him at seasons end without owing him anything more. However, if they do want to keep him, but not at that price, they can try to renegotiate his contract.

Bottom line is it's really a low risk situation for the Giants. The question is if they would even want Stew...particularly since it's unlikely he'll see the field prior to the trade deadline so they won't know about his health. Not to mention that we might not want to let him go, or even have any interest in Nicks. But if both teams do have interest, the trade does make sense for both teams.

At this point, we don't even have a clue when Stewart will be healthy this season.

The injury concerns combined with the contract make that a difficult trade to sell. I just don't see it happening.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.