Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

Shula also deserves some credit for our stout D.

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#76 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

The Frashmaker

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,524 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 10:31 AM

weird... one defense was known for being the perfect example of bend but not break. they'd give up yards, but then were among the top ball hawking defenses in the league.

....and that defense won the game

And they were both back to back in efficiency on FO and average while their offenses were the main component all along

#77 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

The Frashmaker

• HUDDLER
  • 14,524 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 10:39 AM

http://www.advancedn...possession.html

http://freakonomics....ionship-cliche/

http://freakonomics....-championships/

#78 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

The Frashmaker

• HUDDLER
  • 14,524 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 10:41 AM

"Oh god, what's frash doing, posting research to back up his opinion instead of a bunch of ad hoc crap to validate tired football platitudes I've been told 86,000 times, who does he think he is?"

"I don't know what to do I guess BETTER KEEP MAKING MADDEN JOKES OVER AND OVER"

#79 Growl

Growl

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 7,026 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 10:50 AM

Bullshit.

Indy's defense played lights out in the playoffs that year..and that is a damn fact.

Every other playoffs for Indy was a debacle because they had no defense.

Big time offenses get to the playoffs, that I agree. But those that do well and win in the playoffs all have defenses that stepped it up when it counted.

Go back to playing Madden

Hahahaha he just said Madden.

"IM SO TIRED OF U HI FALUTIN POSTERS TRYING TO MAKE ME ACCEPT THESE FACTS NOW WATCH AS I RAILROAD THIS ONE PIECE OF ISOLATED INFORMATION INTO THE CONVERSATION AND TRY TO COVER FOR MYSELF!! <insert madden fallback joke #6027456>

#80 Chimera

Chimera

Membrane

• HUDDLER
  • 10,854 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 10:56 AM

In the first link, a four year old article, its called an anomaly in the very first sentence. Then again halfway through. Then the game was called a fluke. Finally, the author said not to draw conclusions from a single game. Congratulations, you proved that exceptions exist.

The second article has a final paragraph that you must have skipped.

From the third:

38 (out of 45) Super Bowls have been won by a top 10 defense and 22 have been won by a top three defense....

We further found that among the 45 NFL Super Bowls, the better defensive team — measured by points allowed that season— has won 29 times.

#81 Growl

Growl

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 7,026 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 10:57 AM

As you can see in the graphic, scoring is much higher in Super Bowls than in regular-season games. Over the past 10 seasons, Super Bowl teams have each scored 25.3 points per game, compared to 20.5 points per game during the regular season; and the winning Super Bowl teams have averaged 31.6 points per game. (Kind of seems like an argument for a new cliché, doesn’t it – OFFENSE. WINS. CHAMPIONSHIPS!)

but no no no they stepped up when it counted for that one play defense still wins!!

#82 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

The Frashmaker

• HUDDLER
  • 14,524 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 11:01 AM

In the first link, a four year old article, its called an anomaly in the very first sentence. Then again halfway through. Then the game was called a fluke. Finally, the author said not to draw conclusions from a single game. Congratulations, you proved that exceptions exist.

The second article has a final paragraph that you must have skipped.

From the third:

The point

Your head

#83 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

The Frashmaker

• HUDDLER
  • 14,524 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 11:06 AM

Also from the third article that came right after the part Mr belding posted that he selectively omitted

"We found that when it comes to winning a title, or winning in sports in general for that matter, offense and defense carry nearly identical weight. For example, here’s what Berman didn’t tell you: the number of Super Bowl champs with a top 10 offense? Thirty-eight. And a top 3 offense? Twenty.  In other words, offense wins championships, too."

#84 Chimera

Chimera

Membrane

• HUDDLER
  • 10,854 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 11:30 AM

Also from the third article that came right after the part Mr belding posted that he selectively omitted

"We found that when it comes to winning a title, or winning in sports in general for that matter, offense and defense carry nearly identical weight. For example, here’s what Berman didn’t tell you: the number of Super Bowl champs with a top 10 offense? Thirty-eight. And a top 3 offense? Twenty. In other words, offense wins championships, too."

Now who's selectively omitting?
Of those 38 top 10 offenses, how many were also top 10 defenses?

#85 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

The Frashmaker

• HUDDLER
  • 14,524 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 11:34 AM

Of course they're not mutually exclusive, but this article is proving that offense is just as important, something the statement "defense wins championships" literally implies to disagree with. And I'm not selectively omitting anything. I linked that article in full, which included the text you yourself quoted. I quoted the part under it since you put your little defense fetishist spin on it like you've done in the entire thread one way or another because you really think these ignorant phrases need to continue to prevail.

The first article is explaining how TOP is a result of efficiency in many different facets of the game and not something coaches go out of their way to prioritize as the key to winning

#86 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

The Frashmaker

• HUDDLER
  • 14,524 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 11:39 AM

Mr Belding are you really this stupid or are you just babbling intentional logical fallacies because you're envious of the fact that I have an educated opinion?

#87 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

The Frashmaker

• HUDDLER
  • 14,524 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 11:42 AM

"He's selectively posting stuff! I'm gonna prove him wrong by making a case for defense quoting content in the link he posted that I wouldn't even have access to if he hadn't!"

#88 Growl

Growl

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 7,026 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 01:30 PM

man the Rams really dominated in the TOP department 1st half theyre totally in control of this game we need some more -1 yard run plays to even things out

#89 YoungPanthers89

YoungPanthers89

Lucy Snorebush

• HUDDLER
  • 11,040 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 20 October 2013 - 01:31 PM

He does a great job of making our defense play 3 quarters worth of a game in a half

#90 Argus Plexus

Argus Plexus

Super Kami Guru

• HUDDLER
  • 5,758 posts
  • LocationCape Fear Area

Posted 20 October 2013 - 02:08 PM

If you finish a 9 minute drive with a TD like we did in the Vikings, that's even better against teams like the Saints, Packers, etc. because that takes away their time on offense, and as good as those teams are offensively they don't score every drive.

Have to score TD's.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com