Photo
- - - - -

$99 DNA Test. Genealogy or DNA National Data Base?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 charlotte49er

charlotte49er

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,549 posts
  • LocationCharlotte-Mint HIll, NC

Posted 27 October 2013 - 12:22 AM

http://www.myheritage.com/dna-tests

Facing a "brick wall" in your genealogy research?

With our partner Family Tree DNA, MyHeritage takes genealogy into the new millennium by offering a revolutionary strategy for advancing your genealogy research — DNA matching — at affordable prices!

Reports on 240+ health conditions and traits
Discover your lineage, find relatives and more
Get updates on your DNA as science advances

They bill this as a great way to search your family history or discover if you are at risk for a serious disease!

I know that since 9-11 Homeland Security and the FBI have been pushing for  a national DNA data base. 

I'm not a conspiracist. However, even though it would be nice to know about hidden health problems, I'm not ready to hand over my DNA.   

#2 Kral

Kral

Internet Legend

• HUDDLER
  • 6,828 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 10:07 PM

The answer to the question in your title is: yes.

#3 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,329 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:06 AM

Unless you're handing your HIPAA information over through some release form....you're in control of that data and have the right to sue if used for anything NOT approved by you.  Now...that's how it SHOULD work.

My thing is this re: DNA forensics.

What are you wanting to achieve with this information.  Strictly for genealogy?  I've never quite grasped the desire to search back to figure out the origin of where I'm from.  Yeah...I'm Brit/Irish who's families were here pre-revolutionary times.  Outside of that, who cares.  What does it gain me?  Does it put me in some solidarity with groups I'm so far removed that it makes no difference?  Even it were I a 2nd generation of recent immigrant, who cares.  Eternity is a long time...and what little time you are here on this planet shouldn't be caught up in being defined by the lives/actions of those before you.  Guess what...you can't change that and it's almost a post-mortem deal where people live vicariously through people you have no idea about.  Live YOUR life.

DNA for health study?  Ok...you're Angelina Jolie and you've recently gotten a positive on the genetic abnormality (BRAC/BRAC1) from Myriad and you make a life choice to make that change.  What if you show a higher disposition for heart disease...diabetes...cancer.  Will you live your life differently after discovering this change? For over 50 years, people have been shown how bad cancer can be for their bodies.  The claim is the addiction is too great to overcome the concern for their own health.  What do people think food/lifestyles can be...just as addictive.  Again...I'd rather NOT know and just live life as if the next day your breath leaves you.  I used to be of the opinion where I was a hypochondriac and worried about every little ache/pain, but as I get older AND my kids are getting to the ages where they are self aware and are grasping what it takes to be a good person in society and know what's right/wrong...I don't find myself caught up in worrying about crap. 

Wise man once say...

Don't sweat the petty stuff, pet the sweaty stuff. 

#4 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,465 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 09:08 PM

What are you wanting to achieve with this information.  Strictly for genealogy?  I've never quite grasped the desire to search back to figure out the origin of where I'm from.  Yeah...I'm Brit/Irish who's families were here pre-revolutionary times.  Outside of that, who cares.  What does it gain me?  Does it put me in some solidarity with groups I'm so far removed that it makes no difference?  Even it were I a 2nd generation of recent immigrant, who cares.  Eternity is a long time...and what little time you are here on this planet shouldn't be caught up in being defined by the lives/actions of those before you.  Guess what...you can't change that and it's almost a post-mortem deal where people live vicariously through people you have no idea about.  Live YOUR life.

I've never seen such an emphatic argument against curiosity. And you're conservative, you say?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.